Masters Running

Tuesday, 24 July 2012 (Read 500 times)

Dave59

No one to start the daily again?  Didn't Jay get someone to stand in for him while he is off on vacation?  Kind of irresponsible of him.

Same as yesterday for me (minus the trip to the airport,)  4 miles kind of easy.  72° just like yesterday.  And I waited until after my shower to start this thread.

Tramps

I thought Jay designated you as pinch hitter, Dave!

Karin--good to hear from you.  Hope you're okay.

The fun never ends this summer.  I had just started my planned 7 miler this morning and got stung a couple of times by wasps.  Ouch!  Some pretty good bites, too.  Then about halfway through my run, swinging back by the same spot, I suddenly had a swarm of aggressive wasps in my hair and around my head and I got stung at least 20 times.  Needless to say, I did some unplanned speed work.  

I jumped in the car and drove back to warn Tribee who was also running.  I then drove by slowly (with windows closed!) and, yup, there it was on a branch hanging about 10 feet over the road: a hive a little bigger than a softball with a cloud of wasps buzzing around it.  It must be new since I run by this spot almost every day.  I left a note to warn my neighbor on whose property it rests, so hopefully it’ll get removed. 

So only 3.5 miles today, everything’s tingly and I feel like a pincushion. Black eye

ETA:  Big grin

I've never reached 26.2 miles and thought..."Wow, I wish that was longer..." 

Be safe. Be kind.

...tramps//.......slap some moistened (read that SPIT) tobacco on a wasp sting, quickest way to fix it......

maybe

you could stick a pack of Marlboro's in your Running Kit

=========

...but I digress

.....38min poolrun,,

found a REALLY small FlotationVest

and

have to fight the water more,

so it's a Win-Win Situation

..........hiking tomorrow

.........................good running guys..............Don't Bite Off More than You Can Chew.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

No one to start the daily again?  Didn't Jay get someone to stand in for him while he is off on vacation?  Kind of irresponsible of him.

Joking

Nothing like a wasp to make you run fast. Tramps, I hope you are OK after those 20+ creatures visited your skin Dead.

BTW, what is up with Perchcreek? I miss his posts.

Holly, your golfing sounds like fun. I have never played golf before, I wouldn't know what to do. 

Up at 5am this morning to run 3 miles with my DH. It seems like waking up that early for only 3 miles is not worth it, but it was the only time we can run together since he has a long day in the woods today for work. 

Ohh, I forgot to mention that after my run I got home and I Holly-up and did some legs and upper body XT. Cool

Have a great Tuesday, you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Those People's Pharmacy people are always suggesting home remedies for bee stings, toe fungus and the like. Last week it was urine for bee stings. I loved that one.  Sorry about your episode Tramps.

An easy 4.5 miles at the park this morning.  My RP returns from vacation Saturday; sure will be fun to run with someone again.  I'm packed and headed off to the City of Brotherly Love this afternoon.   Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

maybe

you could stick a pack of Marlboro's in your Running Kit

Big grin

Tramps - bummer about the wasps - good thing you weren't allergic, that could have been very serious.

Mariposai - Big grin

83 degrees at 5:30am, but the light rain helped a bit.  5.4 miles of hills, circling in and around the hilly streets around my house.

As I approaced the house at the end I saw a rainbow.....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for stepping up to start the daily, Dave!  But your run descriptions aren't as nice as Jay'sJoking

Wanted to add my congrats to Francesca on an awesome 100 miler!  Wow.  Not sure if I want to be like her when I grow up, or not.

Tramps, ouch!  Sounds painful.

I also got up at 5am to run, because I missed my run last night due to thunderstorms, and more are predicted tonight.  I didn't want to run at home that early because it's still dark, so I drove partway to work and ran at a park in the flatlands.  I did an awesome 6 mile trail run, down along a creek, around a couple of lakes, and back up the other side of the creek.  Really a beautiful morning for a run!  I could almost become a morning runner if it was always this nice!  The only downside is, we don't have showers at work, so I had to clean up using a washcloth at the sink.  But I do that when I run at lunchtime in the winter - it works okay.

Happy Birthday to Opie!

Happy trails!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks, Wildchild!  Took the day off from work and had a great run this morning.  It wasn't as humid as it could be and there was a nice breeze.  My Coach gave me a new fartlek workout so what a perfect day for that!  2 miles easy, then 2 sets of 2 minutes easy, 2 minutes medium, 2 minutes quick, followed of course by a 2-mile cooldown.  Ran by effort, no iPod and here's what I came up with: 9:11 pace first medium fartlek, 8:01 next one, 11:46, 9:07 & 8:22.  Very pleased with those paces.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Those People's Pharmacy people are always suggesting home remedies ....

...this is an L & N RailRoad remedy.....

however,

pharmaceutically it closes the blood vessels off and prevents the venom from getting into the system

apparently

a bunch of Pharmacists worked for the RailRoad at one time.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps, those must be some different types of wasps to be that aggressive. The kind we get here that build the papery nests up under the eaves are very non-aggressive even when you're knocking the nests down. Hornets, on the other hand...

You're right, Mariposai: Perch/Steve has been AWOL both here and on FB. He lives just a couple miles from me, but I haven't attended any club runs recently, so haven't seen him in the flesh either.

Carolyn, running in the flatlands in the early morning is highly recommended. You should try it more often.

Did my 23-mile ride with the seniors group this morning. There was unexpected cloud cover and a northerly breeze, which made for a much more comfortable experience than expected based on the last few days.

So where is everyone else today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I'm here!

I haven't run so I don't feel justified in posting.  Maybe tonight, but more likely tomorrow morning.

Sounds pretty brutal Tramps.

My DH tried to take out a wasp's nest that was embedded into some rockery in our yard using a wipper snipper.  They did not like that.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

hey friends ..... .miss you all - life's just been a tad crazy here!!

carpy run today - slogged  thru 5.8 miles with stopping my garmin thru many walk breaks!!  I'm sure it was a combination of waiting until the middle of this humid day to run and working 2 16 hour shifts on the labor floor Sunday and Monday!!   Now, i'm off for 6 glorious days!!

today celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and saturday get to be part of my friends wedding!!  lots of fun ahead!!

Ribs - hope you get to run the Rocky stairs and take a pic with his statue!!

denise

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Didn't get to run again today.   Tomorrow I have off to move my mom, so I will be able to get out early before heading over that way.   My sister is in town to help, so all the evenings have been dedicated to family time and staying up later than normal.     I'm looking forward to getting back into some sort of a routine again.    Tonight it is an all girl dinner with my mom,  3 daughters and 3 of her granddaughters.   Should be fun.

In the meantime I just stopped in to wish everyone a Happy National Tequila Day!!

Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Yeah, where is Perch?  You lurking?

Happy 30th, Denise!

...this is an L & N RailRoad remedy.....

That explains why I've never heard of it.

The L&N don't stop here anymore.

Doug--is that right?  Wasps are not aggressive but hornets are?  Maybe it was hornets?  I thought hornets build nests that were sort of pointy at the bottom.  This was round as a softball. But I'm no entomologist.  I'm swinging by my neighbors' later, maybe we'll find out.

Be safe. Be kind.

hopeful, I trust there were no serious aftereffects of your swim with the koi and frogs.  It's great to have bike posting.  CNY, positive vibes going your way.  jlynne, nice golfing for you and your husband.  Tramps, ouch on the wasps (or hornets).  Dave, glad to hear Annabelle and your daughter survived their flight.  Kudos to franc on her 100 miler.  deez, congrats on your 30th anniversary.

Nice long run for bike and good job on the speedwork for opie.

This morning, it was about 70°, almost calm, and a bit humid.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:09 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS