Masters Running

Sat Jan 05 Daily Boomer/Master Runs (Read 810 times)

Evan, that's great news that your dog is back. Steve, sorry to hear about your wife's car accident but glad she suffered no serious damage. Cars can be relplaced. Ilene, it's good to hear you got in a run yesterday without hip pain. Tall, running at -22 degrees is beyond my comprehension. Holly, thanks for the update on your mother in law. I'm happy to hear she is making progress. Teresa, that moose incident sounds scary. I've had a couple of deer accidents, but a moose in in a completely different league. anachrotech, you're getting that mileage back up. Your persistence and patience is paying off. Nice long runs for dtoce, jjj, Twocat, Peter (with hills), derrick, Fortunate, and PJH. Good job on the speedwork CNY. This morning, it was about 30 (approximately 50 degrees warmer than Tall's run) and there was a little wind. As there was hard packed snow/ice on the roads, I put on my Yaks and headed out. I got in 8 miles in a bit over 1:16 for a 9:31 pace. I wasn't trying to do anything special, just get the run in. After 2 or 3 miles, it looked like I was a bit under a 10 min pace which was ok with me. About 5 or 6, I saw that I might get down to a 9:45 pace if I didn't fade too bad. I was quite surprised when I saw the time at the end. Checking my mile splits, I discovered that the second mile was the slowest and each one after that got faster, the last one under 9 minutes. I ran the second 4 by over 2.5 minutes faster than the first 4. I don't know how that happens sometimes. Maybe I subconsciously decided to push the last couple but for most of it I was just happy to muddle along taking what happened. I've only got a few more runs until we head for Phoenix where my daughter and I will run the half, my wife and her brother and his wife have volunteered at the finish line, and we will meet up with brother Dave (selb3 from CR) who will be there as a TNT coach. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
    Dave59

Just a quiet 3 miles for me this morning. 32° with light sleet.

jules2

Ran the Cloud Trail, a recycled railway line, 12.03 miles to end and back in 1:33:00 and felt c**p so still not over my cold. It must count as the worst I have ever felt on a training run but on the positive side I had no problem with my achilles which has been giving me grief for over a year. The joy about this route is that its traffic free and not hilly, its slightly downhill on the way out and there are mile posts for splits. Also it is runnable in any weather and can be quite pretty ( apart from now ) Had my wife Christine and the Poison Dwarf ( Lucy my youngest ) with me on their bikes , is was 6 C and after about 5 miles we hit a cloudburst with hail, morale dropped but as I had the car keys they had to follow. It cost me fish and chips all round on the way home. Tomorrow some serious mountain biking with Paulo and Stulio. Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

A nice and easy 4.25 miles just to keep things loose for tomorrow's race. Followed that up with 20 minutes of weight training. My achilles is about back to normal, though not quite yet. Hopefully a hard race tomorrow won't cause it to flair up. If anyone is doing Intervals and has a Garmin 205/305, figure out how to use it for the workout. It is outstanding. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

spacityrunner

Went out for 7 with the club. It was all up and down hills this a.m. Thought about NOT doing hills yet...but figured if I kept the pace manageable, and promised to walk if any pain started...I would give it a try. Soooooo In a frosty 30F I set out on the Custis Trail for 7.06 miles in 1:39:33 for an avg. 14:06 m/m. My target was a 14 m/m. Wow, did it. Splits 14:45, 14:32, 15:15, 15:07, 13:32, 13:09, 12:21 Then for the "fun" part I headed to the gym for 30 min of swimming, 10 min of whirlpooling, 7 min of cold plunge (trying to last for 10) and 15 min of steaming....nice! I have been able to do 20 mpw the last two weeks and I am almost ready to declare myself healed...but not quite yet. This PF is a sneaky one.... Bitetm...I hear ya. I was not able to run for almost 8 months...it was hard to read of everyones runs... Good runs/races to all.

Trails Rock!

First run of 2008 today, after 3 days on the disabled list and 1 day of being a lazy slacker. Ran 4.7 miles - one for each day off and 0.7 to bring me up to just over an hour of running. I'm almost on track with my training plan, but with my schedule over the next 10 or so days, I don't expect to completely catch up until mid-month. I felt infinitely better than during the 3.8 mile run (slog, trudge, crawl) that I dragged myself through on New Years Eve, so I'm sticking with the theory that the break was a good one. Off to the grocery store to stock up on healthy stuff in order to get serious about the weight loss part of my plan for 2008. Good runs, all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hopeful4ever.... It sounds like your memory is exhausted on the 305. You may have to go in there and delete some miles. Once it gets to that stage, the little messages pop up and data becomes distorted. Try doing that and then see what happens. By the way, you can download all the info onto your computer first, to be able to save it before you start deleting the various runs.
                Thanks Joey! I did just that - so hopefully things will be fine tomorrow. The odd thing is that March 31st run - it was never there before and I only had about 4 other runs in memory. But, seeing as I somehow ran a 24 and 22 mile run that probably took up some memory. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

I was going to run outside today... and still might.... but it's -8 now at noon. Hmmm. We put an ad in the paper to sell the old appliances from our apartment, so I feel a little "tied to the phone." Who knew there'd be so much interest in 20 year old appliances?? Fun chat last night... ended up being just Mariposai and me and I got tired of typing, so ended up calling her and had a wonderful phone chat! I sure will miss her when she goes home... but I got her Paraguay phone number, too! Big grin Tim, hang in there. Yes it's hard. I remember a couple years ago when I had shin splints and couldn't run. I'd pass runners while driving home from work, and secretly think "I hate her...!" Seemed to help my mood... not sure what that says about me. Deb, I agree!... just remembering the number of laps I run would be difficult. I was thinking I'd need one of those counter/clicker things to help me keep track. Tramps, while I can remember my phone number... even a couple of them!... there's no way in creation I'd remember times... or be able to keep track of total distance! Enke, I don't typically ever run on a track either, but always say I'm going to. We do have a one-mile race here in late June and I thought it would be fun to see if I could get a bit better at it. But I never seem to do it.
                    I've only got a few more runs until we head for Phoenix where my daughter and I will run the half, my wife and her brother and his wife have volunteered at the finish line, and we will meet up with brother Dave (selb3 from CR) who will be there as a TNT coach. TomS
                    Shocked Big grin tom, please send me an email at mc_solar_99 at yahoo dot com... i'd love to meet up if you guys have a moment or two. i'm driving up saturday, stopping by the expo, and staying in scottsdale. pjh: the earliest carb loading experiments had a 3 day depletion phase, followed by a three day loading phase. during the depletion you cut most or all carbs out of your diet. the idea was that if your body was fully depleted of carbs, and thus most of your glycogen, you would absorb the carbs more effectively during the following carb loading phase. recent research didn't verify this result though, so it's a dubious result. it's a tiring phase... i get really grumpy, and my heart rate sky-rockets on easy runs when i'm carb depleting... but i did it last year, and i'm an animal of habit...
                      Mary...It may be something different if you didn't have a lot of runs entered in. Mine happened after several months of runs where I didn't ever delete. Then one day the little pop up messages started appearing and my data was starting to get messed up. Your 305 is newer though and the number of miles you have in there should not have exhausted the memory yet. 5.34 miles on a warm 48 degree afternoon. I am "Blogging" my "running 1,000 miles in a year" to have a fun way to report my runs and also to offer as a way for others trying to run 1,000 miles to have a virtual running partner. I have designed it so that someone with a goal of 1,000 or 500 miles for the year can be included. The fact is, the principle is there despite the amount of miles a person runs. I think the good news is, people wanting to read about my runs can do so without clogging up this daily thread for the rest. I guess that means I am "Blogging" and not "clogging". http://running1000milesinayear.blogspot.com/ Fun? ......WOW !
                      Vista
                        Good running or resting everyone! On my way out to the run, my 3 crow friends came by for their morning peanuts. They are so bold now since they eat right in front of me (they used to wait until I went indoors). My neighbors seem a little scared of us for doing this. Ran 10 miles on a woodchip trail that was a bit moist. 51 deg F, cloudy but nice. It stopped raining here in my part of So. Cal. for now.
                          I definitely have a full blown cold now. Not in my chest though. Knock on wood.
                          Soundrunner, I'm in the same boat with you on that cold. Mine started up on Wed. and now it's peaked (hopefully). Did 4 easy miles this early afternoon @10:22 pace. And talk about balmy....60F... Good Master Runs to all!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Complete rest day for me today other than the work holiday party I am about to go to. Time to keep one hand free and not overindulge.
                              CNY and 'posa -- you're killing me with all of this xc skiing talk! Smile I need a road trip to the Methow Valley this spring. Who's in? http://www.mvsta.com/
                              just let me know Smile it's awfully nice living in paradise... after two days of cross training on snow shoes (one planned, the other we had no choice with a foot of fresh snow, powder actually...) i finally hit the road today for 8 miles, a long one for me and pelle. the sun came out and it was actually a balmy 34F - first time we've seen temps above freezing for weeks, if not months. despite his nursing a nasty cold, my DH drove pelle and me out to the goat wall road bridge near mazama and we ran the 8 miles back to town in 1:53:20, pace 14:09. feeling weary now... good runs, susan
                                I had great weather for a long run. It was 41° and slightly windy but not enough to hurt. Being 4 weeks away from taper time, I tried another easy 26.2 but quit at 23. It just wasn't feeling as relaxed as it did 2 weeks ago. I did 26.2 in 3:49:20 (8:45) and today's 23 took 3:22:08 (8:47). It was still a quality session as I saved the suffering for race day. Just 2 more 20+ mile runs before tapering.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.