Masters Running

Thus 2/26 Daily (Read 502 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

When is your marathon again?
    My next marathon is April 5, just a small local marathon, the ORRRC marathon in Xenia - 25 minutes away, and only a $20 early bird entry fee. But my real target marathon won't be until October, the Columbus Marathon, if all goes well and I don't hurt myself over the summer. My one and only BQ marathon was nearly a year of build-up in the making, and that's my 2009 plan, to try to work my way up to that again. Very nice progression run, btw, speedy lady.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks Holly! So your BQ attempt isn't until the Fall, right? You should have plenty of time to put in more of those types of runs and be able to hit your target in October, barring some kind of injury or weather disaster - which will NOT happen!

Once a runner . . .

Nice long rus for WRFB, peter, PBJ, Holly (with repeats and a "good one"), Tramps, and jdmom (another "good one"). I related to hopeful's post. I'm at my mother's, about an hour north of hopeful and recognize her conditions. When I went out, in the dark with my headlamp, it looked like there might be some "black ice" in spots. Even though I never felt like I was going to fall, I was very cautious while running. I got in 5 miles at about a 10:06 pace. Shortly after I got back to my mother's retirement place, they made an announcement to the residents about how slippery it was outside. A little later, while with my mother for her doctor's appointment at the hospital, I heard one of the employees say they knew of several people who fell in the paking lot coming in. That was interesting as I'd run through the hospital parking lot on my run. I guess I was lucky not to have any problems. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
        wildchild

Carolyn

I'm surprised no one has pointed out to Tim yet that he misspelled "Thurs" in the thread title! Big grin It's warm and windy again today, 55° with 25 mph winds. I ran around the office park which is more sheltered than the trail I ran yesterday (but all concrete instead of dirt), 4 miles at an avg 10:48 pace.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm surprised no one has pointed out to Tim yet that he misspelled "Thurs" in the thread title! Big grin
            Funny how a word "looks' right, but it's not. But not as funny as otmeaier...Sorry Steve...I go down, your going down with me pal Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think he just came to a conclusion --- "Thus ......"

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

PJH

Tramps, your heart stops when you pee?
                Interesting ... my PT has me doing this core exercise called "hold pee". I wonder what that is doing to my heart? Late afternoon run today - 6.2 miles ... 60 min ... 9:45 pace ... 146 hr. Off to see how Tiger is doing today? Looked pretty good yesterday. PJ
                xor

I keep getting PJH and PBJ confused. And the weird thing is that I often confuse them with WRFB. At least I know my EnkeInky from my evanflein.

King of PhotoShop

SRL, speaking of confused, last week I called you SLR, thus converting you to a type of camera. I am at Otmeaier airport waiting for flight to DFW. Interesting to see Tim's new BQMP mile repeat workout with the two minute recoveries. Back at it tomorrow, enough slacking for me. Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My next marathon is April 5, just a small local marathon, the ORRRC marathon in Xenia - 25 minutes away, and only a $20 early bird entry fee. But my real target marathon won't be until October, the Columbus Marathon, if all goes well and I don't hurt myself over the summer. My one and only BQ marathon was nearly a year of build-up in the making, and that's my 2009 plan, to try to work my way up to that again.
                      not many around anymore but we need more less-than-$1.00/mile events. We do have quite a few in the PNW that are less miles than dollars away though. Incidentally, we haven't established all the Seattle RnR divisions yet, . . . and there'll probably be a lot of overlap but I'm looking for some company in the fun running category in case you could take a break from BQ'ing for all or part of the RnR's 26.2 miles. Smile thus, though he probably doesh't know it yet, Thus is probably going to switch to fun running at mile 16 too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Interesting to see Tim's new BQMP mile repeat workout with the two minute recoveries.
                        Actually, it wasn't Tim's idea, but a suggestion to him from a woman runner he knows, that he passed on to me. He knows I like to hear suggestions and new things to try. Shakes things up a bit. Tet - the Seattle R&R is definitely all about fun... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Speaking of $20 Marathons ... I see that the New York Marathon registration costs $171 plus a non-refundable $11 processing fee (which you won't get back even if you aren't selected in the lottery!). Shocked Ouch. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

SRL, speaking of confused, last week I called you SLR, thus converting you to a type of camera. I am at Otmeaier airport waiting for flight to DFW. Interesting to see Tim's new BQMP mile repeat workout with the two minute recoveries. Back at it tomorrow, enough slacking for me. Spareribs
                            Ribs, this gal I know is named Janice. She runs Marathons at 7:30 pace like it is nothing. She told me recently, why run faster than your MP, when that is your main focus. I have ran "mile" repeats with her when she kicked my ass. 5k...Marathon, she simply runs 7:30 pace allll the time. She says Tim...do you want a fast 5k time, or a fast Marathon time...I say the last. Then she said...spend the MOST time at what your goal pace is...makes sense to me, but have not tried it myself yet...but thought it would be perfect for Holly...and she "nailed it" Janice is a BQ gal for many many years...so who am I to disagree with that. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and she seems to have a good plan. We shall see, huh. Actually, I told Holly full recovery between these mile repeats are fine, but she found 2 minutes was ok...good for her. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

No run for me today. Ended up just being too late. That's ok. I'm tired and a little achy. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. The weekend runs are more important, anyway.