Masters Running

Tue Jan 6 Runs and etc (Read 470 times)

wildchild actually it is in Jackson Hole. There is an annual conference there that I like to attend. For the presentations you know . . . ahmmm . . . Evil grin I hope you manage to get out for your run later on. Teresadfp sounds like enough work to count as a run to me! tselbs very cold conditions for a run especially one over an hour! Not sure I would have gone out in that weather. mainerunnah wow tough and impressive hill repeats. Twocat medical report update . . . the doctor apparently called my house and left a message on the machine saying the tests came back negative. He has no idea what is wrong and . . . drum roll . . . so wants to see me again. I will do that but I am also going to book an appointment with a doctor that was recommended by a guy that runs the track team. Likely all will be well by the time I get an appointment. That seems to be the way these things go.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Ribs: This looks like something I would really like to give a go at, but I have a quick question. When you say "SLOW" on the warmup and cool down, just how slow, and what would the "easy" paces be like in one of these "wave runs"? I assume that you would be running those at or about :30 - 1:30 slower depending upon the individual.
      Bob, you often run too fast, just in my own opinion and your own admission, and I say this without worrying you will bark at me only because we have talked about it before in other forums. But you are one of the fortunate few who don't seem to get hurt no matter what you do. So putting aside the fact that you seem indestructible to me, let me just say that you might benefit from sorting out what is the difference between "slow" and "easy." Since I know how fast you run at most distances, let me suggest this: Your easy pace should be two minutes per mile SLOWER than current fiveK pace. Note: this is not DESIRED fiveK pace, and I am careful to point out that you are looking for sub-19. Don't use that pace. Use current, most recent fiveK pace, and add 2 minutes per mile. I am putting your current fiveK at 19:30. Is that about right? So if your current fiveK is 6:15's, we are talking about 8:15's for easy. I suspect you would rather do 8's but trust me on this. SLOW is 2:30 per mile SLOWER than current 5K pace, or even slower, say 8:45's. I know what current M pace is for you. Use your recent marathon, just a shade off 7:30's, say 7:35-7:40. Again, don't use DESIRED. Use current. In the wave run, you must be patient, so try to read the word SLOW as meaning slow as you wish to go. Warm up slow, finish slow. You will get bored with this, I know, but here is the catch. If you do this workout once a week and incorporate another quality workout too, you will find it catches up with you. Long stretches of good quality work, followed by short, slow recoveries, are the best way to attain peak performance. I see from your posts that you do a lot of VO2 max work at all times during your training, which I see as being useful toward the end stages of a training period, so in some ways we don't see training in the exact same way. I envy that you can do this, but I worry it can also make you stale. I would be interested in how you perform in a wave run, if you find it enjoyable, and how it works for you over a long training period. Try it anyhow, and let us know how you did. Thanks Bob. Spareribs
        great runs out there today!! my legs were not sproinky at all today - think i've said that before........hmmmmmm.......anyway: 6.8 miles in 1:13:29 - definitely on the slow side for me, but that's what i had today!!

denise

Mariposai

tselbs very cold conditions for a run especially one over an hour! Not sure I would have gone out in that weather.
          yeah twocat...you got to come outhere for just a week to teach you what"cold weather means"...I am not Erika, but I ran in Dec and now have been well below that temperature and sometimes longer than one hour... maybe you can here after Jackson Hole... Have fun at your conference.... I am going to San Diego for a week at the end of the month for the "awesome" topics they are offering...Cool Got to go to sleeps so I can get up for my intervals....see Tramps...I am going to sleep now......I am a good girl

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Thanks, Spareribs, I'm certainly looking forward to it. Taking the long route to get there, missed our flight in Anchorage this morning so didn't get to Seattle till late (after 9:30). Heading to Orlando tomorrow morning, will get in tomorrow afternoon. TimBo... I got it. Thanks.

Prince of Fatness

13-14 miles or so total: 2 mile warm up SLOW 1 mile M pace 1 mile easy 1 mile M pace 1 mile easy 1 mile HM pace 1 mile easy 1 mile HM pace 1 mile easy 1 mile HM pace 1 mile easy 1 mile cool down, SLOW
              Thanks for this. I've made a local copy of it for myself. I'll be training for a fall marathon and this looks like a great midweek workout. I'll usually do a long tempo, but this is something that will break up the monotony, and it appears to serve the same purpose.

Not at it at all. 

Marathon Maniac #3309

TimBo... I got it. Thanks.
                Kewl, thanks for letting me know....now I have my fingers crossed (you know what I mean) Big grin TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!