Masters Running

40's on the Run week of 1/27 - even the Superbowl is over 40 now (Read 532 times)

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Hi 40s, it's been a while! Leslie Sorry you're sick after your vacation...it kind puts a damper on things huh? (Back in 94 I got pneumonia on a flight from San Francisco to London and was sick for three weeks. Missed my ds's first day at school too, it was horrible.) Get well soon. Farm Shocked That's the first time I've heard anyone call the Rocky Mountain national park "dreary." nj joe Yeah! Now that IS dreary! Up here in the Rockies it's bloody cold! I've managed no more than four runs outside since the beginning of the year, and am seriously doubting my ability to train for a full marathon I've signed up for on Jedi Knight day (May the 4th be with you!!!) I dunno who's going be doing a Parade route after Sunday's big game...but it sure looks to be a good one! Go PatriGiants!!!!
    BTY

Bty- nice smart training that you're doing.Gradual increases and we'll get where we're going.Must be nice running along the Hudson up there.Do you have the high cliffs like West Pt and Bear Mt and such?
      I wish! The escarpment is far enough from the river that it can't be seen from there, though it could be in 1609 when Henry sailed up this far. Fortunately, I live in the escarpment's shadow, so I do get to run once a week or so in view of the cliffs. 4 miles along the Hudson today at 9:40 pace. Two more months of car pooling, then I begin bike commuting to work - hopefully commencing on March 31, or even earlier if we get some crazy-warm weather in March. Smile Smile Smile
        Joe, of course it's all in good fun. No bad feelings here toward the Giants. It's not like they're the Jets.... They get a lot of respect here and lots of Pats fans are more than a little worried. last time a team was favored by double-digits in the SB was 2002 (Pats-Rams), and we know how that turned out. Should be a great game and seems to be getting a lot of fan attention. Even from Saph, who is rooting for the Patrigiants! 5 chilly miles along the river.
          Saph and Woodwoman - Long time no hear from! Glad to have you guys back. I exercised my eyeballs and butt today - a lot of couch-sitting and movie watching. Wink In answer to the various inquiries, yes, our kitties were very happy to have us home, and we were very happy to see them. Our old guy, who I was most worried about, seemed none the worse for the separation; however, he's happily back to sleeping on hub's head at night. A few nuggets re Prague - Most of the women (and I found out this is European women in general) love to wear high heeled, calf-high boots. It's like an epidemic. And it's ridiculous considering most of the roads and sidewalks are cobbled. I don't know how they keep from twisting their ankles. But these women LOVE their shoes and handbags. I have never seen so many shoes stores. Incredible! Hub kept telling me I needed to buy a pair, but I can buy $60, $70, $100 boots here and wouldn't have to figure out how to pack 'em in my limited space suitcase. Everybody smokes! It's incredible! I'd love to know what the statistics are re lung and throat cancer, emphysema, etc. I figure they knew we were tourists 'cause we were just about the only ones not smoking. Tight lipped The food is rich and heavy, but good. The dumplings were not what I expected (not the boiled wads of dough from my childhood - ick). I liked them. Drinks generally are not served with ice. You have to ask for it, and then it's brought in a separate glass. Ask for a vodka and soda with ice, you get 3 glasses: a shot of vodka, a glass of mineral water, and a glass w/ice. It's a mix your own kinda deal. However, the bars are big on making mojitos, margaritas, cuba libres, sex on the beach (hee, hee), and beer, beer, beer, and even more beer. It's great if you like beer. I happen to think it tastes like poo poo. Dead It's an absolutely gorgeous city. Stunning. Everything we could've asked for and more. I highly recommend a visit. I'm hoping to get some pictures downloaded soon to share with everyone. Have a great Friday, everyone!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Hi y'all.. still sniffly, but I think I'm past the worst of it. Ran 5K tonite, now I'm going to sit and have a medicinal glass of wine. (I almost spelled that 'whine.') Take care everyone, I'll try and be a good reader / poster again soon.

flatland mountaineer

3.1 back on the plains today, felt sucky but was kinda fast for me. 18 deg no wind, nice morning. hard to compete with the Jersey turnpike Wink but here is another from Saturday.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Isn't the smoking amazing? Apparently, even the runners in Europe smoke - I was just reading a write-up about the Medoc Marathon in France, and at the carbo-loading dinner the night before everyone was smoking! Shocked Too bad you don't like beer. There's new research out showing it's a great post-run drink - seriously: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/11/01/scibeer101.xml ...but I think I'll stick to my Ovaltine. Smile Arla

Ex runner

Marathon Maniac #957

Jedi Knight day (May the 4th be with you!!!)
                  Too funny! I'll have to tell that one to DS. I, too, am signed up for a marathon on May 4th (Flying Pig). A friend is running it with his niece as their first marathon, and I'm hoping to share the experience with them, assuming I don't injure myself at my big target race 2 weeks before that. If so, then I'll just meet them at mile #22, take lots of pictures, and cheer them in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

Hey everybody!! Wow! It's been a whole week since I've been on here.....& no "purposeful" runs to report Blush...(I'll get right on that as soon as I'm a bit more recovered!) ** Grab a LARGE cup of coffee for this one!!!** 1st off, I didn't take my laptop w/me "upstairs"....I probably wouldn't have been on it anyway.....Started out good.....I got a total of 10.3 miles in on Friday last, btwn the run & 3 mi. power walk before scrambling to pack & whatnot for the wknd - including a cooler full of healthy, practical foods - enough for most of the weekend.....DH & I had the opportunity to spend a few days away from the dear children (drama 'n all!) via room special in Breckenridge during the International Snow Sculpture Festival + free lift tickets to Copper Mtn.....both of which are just around the corner from our Mtn house, however, "around the corner" in the winter time still takes 45mins +/- depending on road conditions...whereas a 'nearly free' room IN Breck means that we can have apres-ski cocktails & ride the bus back to the room Wink etc. Sunday was absolutely beautiful! Perfect conditions (as R2 pointed out! Smile ) But! we could see the squall coming in!!! & it cont'd thru Tues am!! didn't prevent us from getting out & about to ride the Gondola, doing some shopping & "sampling" & take in the snow sculptures - here's one from China (or rather, the artists are!) & now....as Paul Harvey says, "For the Rest of the Story......" I shoulda paid attention to the low grade headache towards the end of our play date on Copper...but hey! I haven't been up as much this year, so I'm thinkin' "it's just elevation" so I popped a couple of vit. I's & a 24oz bottle of water & viola! headache all gone. Next! Into town to check in & grab something to eat (lets throw practical/intelligent out the window for now, huh!?) coupla 90-Shillings (darker beer) & some wings... now I'm feeling kinda droopy - hmmm, "how many runs did we do?" I think I'm in pretty good shape, & I wasn't overly tired @ the time.....must be elevation! get a good night's sleep & all will be well! Not entirely - still tired, not quite lethargic, just not spunky....need more water/hydration must not be up to snuff....yeah, that's it! Load up backpack w/some water bottles & head in for "doin' the town" Decided to leave car @ hotel & use the bus...makes parking much easier during special events....(uh, note to self....write down bus schedule!! ) Had a great day - lotsa walking, despite the intermittent activities of the "minor" squall that occasionally made it a bit wicked outside - ya just pop into the next shop to check out their ridiculous t-shirts & novelties, or get a Starbucks, or.... well, by now I'm feeling pretty good - got my energy back...time for dinner....or at least, more wings n beer!! Oh! WAAAY too many beers!! Aaaccckkk!! By the time we left the last bar @ 11:30pm-ish, we were pretty onto sub-zero blizzard conditions & NO BUSSES!! sooo, we snugged up our coats (still wearing the hooded ski parkas) & settled into walking - as fast as we could manage in drifting snow! It's only a mile- mile & 1/2 to the hotel ....A few blocks later, despite the ingested antifreeze, I'm feeling the cold & brought it up to a jog - right down the middle (I think) of the road! We arrived in probably no more than 20 mins (felt like longer) looking like a pr of abominable snowmen!! Terribly bright you say?! me too! Me Too!! for a coupla 18 yr olds! - which we're not! For those of you familiar w/local news up here, that would've been in the approximate time & near-general area that the snowmobilers went missing... I woke around 3 am to gale force winds (they clocked 105 mph somewhere up here!) & sure understanding that it was gonna be a rough day!! (idiot!) 12 hrs later I have full blown chills & body aches....hmmm, maybe it's more than beer & wing stupidity!! Then again, maybe not....by Wednesday, back home.... I still can't get far from the bathroom (tmi) & I still feel pretty soggy (zero energy), but the chills, etc. seem to have abated. (I've had similar bodily responses to beer & grease before Dead ) meanwhile, Mairead is attached to my hip, expectantly! Thermometer says 30* so, I take her to the dog park for an hour - the one w/facilities very near the gate! ....sure felt like 10* to me! Sounds like enough self abuse for one week you say?!? Well, lemme tell ya! Not this chick!! Ha! Thursday I had an "all-day" appt w/Mr. Dentist! 6 lovely hrs of novocaine, drills, yummy mold paste, etc! Oh, half the office is out w/stomach flu, so regardless, I'm not exposing anybody! One more "big" one to set the crowns & top off the implants, then I'm onto just maintenance......Today, is beautiful! 41* F/ 31% H, fairly clear & bright, & I think I'll wait one more day! Cool ....off to the DP so Mairead can get some play time in!
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

What's all that white stuff in the pictures? Cool

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, Mntchk - that's quite a week. How do they make the snow stick together for those sculptures? How many dental implants did you get? Hope you're feeling better soon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

Mntnchk - I wish I could read as fast as you can type! 5 miles along the Hudson River today at lunch time, 49:30 (9:54 pace). I grew progressively slower as the rain hitting my sweatshirt accumulated. 27F and rain - you'd think it would be light fluffy snow, right? Needless to say, it was pretty lonely out there today - even the near crazies weren't willing to go out today. Honestly, I was quite comfortable until I hit the 4 mile mark, then my pants and my shirts became saturated, and I was glad to be "bringing it home". bty

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Mtnchk1 Sorry to hear about your dental problems Sad I'm headin' up to Breck next weekend. Leslie Yeah! The smoking in Europe is off the hook! Always make me laugh when people talk about Paris as "the city of love." More like Paris, the city of cigarette smoke stench...not to mention the dog shit stench! Arla Mmmm! Ovaltine sounds good about now! Gonna try and get a run tomorrow...all I need is: NO snow, and NO wind!!! Have a fab Friday and a great weekend everyone. Goooooooooooooo PatriGiants Wink

Top 'O the World!

Sillybear: Big grin Brian: I don't type nearly as fast as you think! Wink I"ll race ya in the next blizzard, ya nut! Holly: the town makes giant "blocks" of snow that the artists carve out...http://www.gobreck.com/page.php?pname=ISSC/08photo & ref dental work - only two are implants, however lots of work getting ready including several of the rest of my molars are being reshaped & refitted for crowns, realignment of jaw, etc., it's been a tedious year - 18 mos! Leslie!: WB!!! {{{ I need to go lay down . . . }}}.how in the world do you get any computer work done w/the flu!?! What's with that anyways!? I'm seeing a pattern here.. Surprised....The smoking thing was the same in Beijing! Kinda reminds me of the 70's here.....except that they were remarkably diligent about picking up the butts & dumping ashtrays...seemed weird seeing that much of it again...That + factory polution, I don't how they're going to manage the Olympics! pretty bad air quality....all things considered though, I'd go back! 3 wks wasn't nearly enough! but then I'm a history nut... Saphh: Hey! next wknd, huh...skiing? Ya know the Mardi Gras Ball is tom nite, heh! Wink......'course, they're gonna have to deal w/some "light" snow showers again - as in "feet!" Ah well, at least it's good for snowshoeing & snowboarding.... Yay Jewels!! too kewl! Steve P: Ifn an itty bitty flooring project has that effect on you, I gotta whole house project you're welcome to help with Wink & I'll bet Brian's an expert by now! Arla: I haven't had Ovaltine in yeeaarrsss! Congrats on the mileage! I'm thinkin I need to at least visit a warmer clime this time of year.....kewl article, I shared w/DH, who keeps promising that he's gonna start running w/me.... Carol: give Katy a hug for me! You too! I'm glad the boxers' folks are being so agreeable. Joe is my Hero!! Smile haven't mapped my runs here...yet... Yabba: sooo, we're like s'posed ta wear blue on Sunday? Big grin R2: Smile nice! do you do any snowshoe races? http://www.tubbsromptostomp.com/colorado.asp http://www.emgcolorado.com/race_salomon.html
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                                Arla - I'm more of a coffee/juice kinda gal after my runs. Beer makes me nauseous. Yuck. Farmer Jim - Nice picture! My, but it must be tough having to suffer through such sights. Cool Saph - Your description of Paris makes me want to visit ASAP. Dead Cindy - You are one tough broad. And I say that with all the affection in my heart, little lady. Wink Nice pics, too. I'd love to see a snow sculpture contest sometime. I'm sure all the pictures I've seen don't do it justice. Re doing computer work when sick, I'm over the worst of it. The first 2 1/2 days I couldn't hardly lift my head. Now it's just cough, cough, cough. Cough, cough, cough, and cough again. The downside of all this, I'm tired of being housebound and my ribs and gut are sore from coughing. The upside, I haven't felt like eating and I've lost 3 pounds! Big grin I think we also now have a touch of a stomach virus. The lower half of the intestine tract hasn't been too happy the last couple of days. I swear, we can't win for losing right now. I think I'm happy I can't participate in the Clam Beach Run tomorrow. It's suppose to be raining pretty good, and the river crossing is supposedly questionable. The river's the highest it's been in years and is 4-5 feet deep and cold. They've run it through at that depth before, they just have a rope strung across and Coast Guard rescue swimmers at the ready. Hmmm, maybe it'd be fun to "have to be rescued." Yee haw!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance