Masters Running

50th Atlantic City Half Marathon (Read 257 times)

Tramps

Wow, running in the wind can be so tough but you handled it wonderfully. A 30-minute PR? And you weren’t racing?! Huh? That's amazing. Congratulations on a great time, especially in the wind.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marvelous report and awesome running Nonoruns! Um, HELLO?....a PR by 30 minutes she typed nonchalantly. That's impressive and clearly your training plan works combined with some natural running talent. I also think swedish fish or fudge works quite well---probably more organic than what lurks in those Gu and Gel packs. The wind can wear you down even if you are used to it or try to convince yourself it doesn't hold you up. You ran a smart race and established a new threshold. Way to go! Karin
        woooohoooo!! nice race -- oh i mean "training run" Wink Wink you are AWESOME!! congrats on your PR - cant wait to see what you have in you next!!

denise

SteveP

OMG what a wonderful race!!!! Gotta love the fueling. It sounds like Renee sat this one out though. Kicking the carp out of an old PR rocks!!!!!

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome race and report, Nono! A 30-minute PR is amazing, especially on a windy day. Congrats! I think if you can run your 10K pace in a half marathon, you have a faster 10K in you! Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Way to go, nono. This is some serious progress you are making. You just matched your 10k PR pace ran less than 2 months ago. Congratulations!
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              coastwalker

Hi Nono, I agree that those are some 'interesting' fueling choices, but who can argue when the result is a 30:00 PR?? You ran a greta race, especially with the winds and running on boards. Congrats on a terrific effort!! How's the ankle? Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

A PR by 30 minutes! Nearly unheard of! Just amazing! Not sure what I think of the candy as fuel though! I am not sure I would keep it down. Dead Oh yea on the wind, my goal is to find a big guy I can draft! My DW was funny. She complained that in Sunday's race the one she spotted was too far up to catch! lol

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Renee the dog

First of all – a correction – my 10K was in late Aug., not September. ConfusedThat time in my life was a bit of a blur! Thanks for all the comments here. I can’t believe you guys could follow my report as I was so blown away still while writing it. Stumpy & Tramps, I think the problem is I don’t know how to race. If I had raced it, I’d have likely %$&^$ed it all up! But it’s been hard to know how to race when I wasn’t really sure what my capabilities are. Eliz4015, no I’m not in the pics in the newspaper, and really the mid-morning wind wasn’t very bad. I think the wind g*ds were kind to us overall. Mtnchk1 – yeah, Gatorade and GU isn’t my idea of breakfast food. What I did find out is that coconut water apparently has very similar properties to our own blood chemistry. So it does well as an isotonic beverage. CNYrunner – Yeah. I don’t think I’ll ever shave 30 min off my time for the rest of my life. In fairness, I don’t think I had the opportunity to run my best race at the Disney one – it was so packed, and the folks near me were running very slow paces, and I literally couldn’t leave them. My guess is I gained about 15 min due to race conditions. So while it is technically a 30 min PR, you can see why I’m not really crowing about that. SteveP – I had two of my town racers yell at me on the course that they missed Renee being out with me! Wildchild – you know I’m really wondering about that. I know I ran my heart out in that 10K – I can’t imagine doing it any faster. I guess time will tell! Jim24315 – I saved your advice to me after the Ocean Drive 10 miler, and once I dropped some weight during my plateau, I have been trying to add some more miles/week into my schedule. If you look at my log, it’s a mess, but I get out whenever my husband is home or my babysitter is available. Thank you for taking the time last spring to give me some guidance! Smile Coastwalker – Ankle was good ‘till the very end on race day…hurt a little today. I really think it is a knot of some type in one of those small ankle muscles, so I’m just going to keep kneading it and icing. Twocat –Oh, I’m not eating a whole piece of fudge. I cut 1 piece of fudge into a bunch of little pieces. I took two of those little bits with me. They are about the size of 1/4 to 1/2 of a clif shot blok. So there’s nothing to keep down as it just melts in my mouth and gives me an instant shot of sugar and refreshing taste! Thanks to everyone on this forum who keeps it fun and interesting. I’m glad I finally have the 13.1 monkey off my back. I was so mad after my WDW ½, I haven’t run the distance again until Sunday. I’m very glad I did. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

I had two of my town racers yell at me on the course that they missed Renee being out with me!
                      I saw one of my neighbors when I was running at the rec center one day, and he asked me where my dogs were! People get used to you and your dog(s) as a unit!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow NoNo - I think you are capable of some very great things! For a training run you blew your PR right out the window! Maybe that is the trick - don't think of them as races - think of them as training runs. Congratulations!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow! A 30-minute PR? Excellent! This sounds like a practically perfect race experience, not the wind and cold part, but how YOU felt – strong and sure, feeling good all the way through. Awesome! And that fudge-for-fuel idea sounds very tempting.... Great race and report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

WOW!! A PR by 30 minutes is just SWEET to say the very least. Congratulations you ran a great race, err I mean training run! Wink I'm sure we'll continue to see many more PRs in the future from you. Big grin
                              Wow, nono. It couldn't be much better with a 30 min. PR, 10K pace for a half, and high AG placement. Congratulations. TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Half mary 30 minute PR for 4th AG is mind-boggling. Sounds like it’s time for the full mary next year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)