Masters Running

Thu Feb 28 Runs and Workouts (Read 689 times)

I'm running late, so only time to check I have the date right Smile 5 recovery miles, about 9mm pace, 133 AHR Where's Roy? Are you running in the afternoons these days? Have a great run today

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Recovery day for me too. 6 miles at 9:44 min/mile pace. Average HR 127. This was a wind chill advisory morning so I pulled the long sleeved stuff out of storage today. The temperature was fine (49) but the 30 mph North wind made it a chilly one (for us Fla. wimps!). Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Continuing the recovery run theme---8.8 miles at 5:30 AM---10F---1:21 and 9:13 per mile pace. I ran by some apple orchards near my house and it was beautiful in an eerie way. The temperature plummeted overnight, so all the branches were frosty white---spindly arms reaching out while I ran by. I peeked at the forecast for next week---hope it's accurate---3 days in a row at 40 degrees plus Woo Hoo! Enjoy the day folks CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning, Nice recovery runs WRFB, CNY and Bill.....way to battle some brutal winds Bill, even if it was 50 degrees Big grin. Sounds like the scenery was beautiful CNY, and 40's does sound great. Suppose to be in the 40's and around 50 here in the next couple of days Smile As most know I have been sick, but yesterday as the day went on, I started feeling a lot better and actually thought I could get a run in. It was super cold and windy out....5 degrees with 20 to 30 miles per hour wind gusts, and took the usual forever to get dressed...can't wait till I can throw some shoes and shorts on and head out the door. Cause I have been sick, I had no pre-planned route - distance - miles - or pace planned, figured I would just go by feel. The first mile I wondered if I made a good choice, but the longer I ran the better I felt. At mile 5 I felt fantastic and kicked the pace up till I got back home. Guess I would call this a progressive run - 10 miles 1:26:25 - ave hr 139 (which was low when I thought it would be higher) and my max was 146. I started at about 9:30 pace and my last mile was 6:45 pace as I kicked it the last mile which felt good, which made for an 8:39 ave pace for this run. I feel 100% this morning (not sick), but the legs are a little sore. Will get an easy run in tonight. As many others feel....I am sick of winter On a serious note, I would like to share something to all of you I consider friends. About 3 miles from home last night I was running on a side walk to let some cars get by. I couldn't see the edge of the curb because of snow and it being dark out, and I went down on my right side right into the road. If there would have been a car coming....well, you get the picture. I am only sharing this to remind everyone to be safe out there. Serious things can catch us of guard sometimes that can cause injury or...don't like to think about it. I am fine, but my right arm and shoulder are a little sore. Sorry to ramble this morning...just in a super good mood not being sick, and getting back to running Smile Have a wonderful day and good runs all. And hope the one's who are sick and injured heal up soon!!!! Tumble Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

oh no, I'm late I'm late. go Relayers!!!!!
              So happy to hear you are feeling better Tim (take it easy though) and thanks for the reminder---it's tough out there. CNY

Marathon Maniac #3309

So happy to hear you are feeling better Tim (take it easy though) and thanks for the reminder---it's tough out there. CNY
                Thanks....and I do have a tendency to over do things....it's this type A personality - OCD thing Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning, all! Mr. Beer - thanks for the usuall good kickoff. You're right - where is Roy!!! Tim - so glad to hear you are feeling better. Thanks also for the warning - I'm relieved that you don't have any serious issues from the fall. Bill - I'll take that 49 degrees even with the wind. It was 14 with a stiff wind when I went out with the puppy this morning. 6.3 less than sproinky miles on the treadmill. I'm babysitting a couple of pooches for a friend, so that means getting up at 4:30 so I can go to her house and take care of her critters and still have time for a workout before work. I'm already looking forward to my noon yoga session. There's a biker bar/tattoo parlor within a mile or so of my house. It either changed owners, or the owner decided to upgrade the image. It was the Crossroads Bar and Grille - now it is Shortie's Pub: American and Thai Cuisine. I chuckle every time I pass the new sign. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Head Procrastinator

Hi gang, just dropping in to post a few obervances. One, wth happened to Sgt Horse? Two,(which is kind of related) I come to RA to use the running log and peek into 4 user groups. I rarely browse the user community forums on the front page. Does anyone here participate in the front page forums? As you were..... Barb
                    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, Tim, be careful out there, we don't want to lose you... A brisk morning here but some might consider it toasty... Smile 20F 10 miles of hills @ 9:13 pace. Getting our new hardwood floors sanded and sealed as I type. ...I love watching someone else work for a change... Big grin Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

5 miles progression...7:45 pace
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          Good to see your back Tim. Hally I occasionally participate in the forums on the front page. I really think this "group" should be a front page forum. It gets way more traffic than most of those do. It would also, I suspect, increase our membership and traffic. This was discussed at one point. Maybe it is time to try again? 12.26mi@8:54 with my TP. Tomorrow finishes up my week's just go do miles runs. Sunday is a 25K race. I am aiming to beat not get overly smoked by a 22 year old female former track star that I run with who is simply amazing on hills and this course has hills!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tim, a last mile 6:45 is seriously quick! Nice going. Can I borrow your legs for like , ummmm, the next 20 years or so? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good grief! I think I’ve aged 11 days overnight...Big grin
                              Caught my little faker out a few times today. She got up to walk, took three steps, then looked at me and crumpled to the floor. Plus her pain keeps moving around. Plus I moved her good leg and she started saying "ouch ouch". Sigh. Something hurts on her leg, but she is really hamming it up.
                              Big grin Oh Enkephalin, if only our little drama queens could meet, the laughs we’d have…. PDR – My BQ pace from September was 8:45, and if I can I would like to achieve that again at Boston, thereby getting a BQ for 2009 as well. My September marathon was I think 15 days short of the cutoff for a 2009 BQ. But like you, I worry about the hills, the crowd, and even my overall fitness not working for me in April, so if nothing else I intend to drink in the experience, and be happy with whatever happens. If I don’t BQ there, it means I’ll probably do a fall marathon and try again, but as you know, marathon training is tough and time-consuming, and it would be nice to take the summer/fall off and do shorter races. 11 slowish miles for me today in 14 (feels like 7) degrees with a half-hearted sort of hill workout. This means I did actually do 4 trips up and over Big Hill Road, but I also walked some on the steepest parts. Wimp. I’ve noticed that temperatures in the teens just seem to suck the speed and energy out of my runs, and that my perceived effort is way faster than the reality. Do other people have this problem with the cold? Struggling along at a GA pace, breathing hard, looking at my Garmin and seeing that I am going a FULL MINUTE slower pace than I thought. I can hardly wait for the warmer temps, to see if these stiffish, sluggish legs are just from the cold, or if it’s me. Today may very well be the last morning in the teens until next winter. A warming trend is on the way, and spring is on its heels....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, a last mile 6:45 is seriously quick! Nice going. Can I borrow your legs for like , ummmm, the next 20 years or so? Bill
                                I've been running slow base miles so long, and my legs were starting to feel sluggish, so I need to add some more speed work in....amazing how adding speed at times makes the legs feel better. I want to try and PR a 5K race in April, and will need a mid 6 minute pace to get to about a 19:30 (ish) time....hopefully. Tim