Masters Running

Saturday Must Be Around Here Someplace. 11-7-15 (Read 34 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Heading to the State Cross Country Meet.  I'm moving up in the world...they're letting me ride the bus.

King of PhotoShop

Another 3 miler with the Saint, mostly to help her get back to running.  Going to be in the 40's tomorrow and she's already put her gloves in my car for tomorrow's run.  Sissy.  Spareribs

Spareribs I keep forgetting to congratulate your son on his startup! I wish him every success.

For November it is quite nice out around here! I woke up to 58° weather. Yahoo! Then I went off to run one of my favorite routes, for a total of 10 miles. I really should have gone out for 9, but I do not have a great 9 mile route and this one . . . 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

CUndecidedUsers\ted\Downloads\CLAIRE AND HORSE_files

IMG_0258

===========

20-minutes later-

...HEY

could somebody send me a Sekret Massage with their email  and I'll send  you a picture of Claire and her Horse to post for me

a pox on Windows 8

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

We had our annual Race For all Ages 5k sponsored by our 65+ running club. It was a mild windy morning and the course was around a lake (stumpy' home grounds). There were cash prizes for age-graded results and it brought out the fastest oldsters in the New England states (including 2 90 year olds). There were some super fast times. I ran the fastest 5k of this year but still ended up 6/8 in the 80-84 AG. I had help from Marj who paced me since she's been hurting lately.

In the afternoon we went to a great jazz concert and did a little swing dancing.

Wondering how Carolyn did at Moab . . . .

Henry - Sounds like you guys had a great day.

Howdy Do - Work day around here today helping The Hub get caught up, plus a dump run, plus grocery shopping since pretty much all we had in the fridge were condiments, half a gallon of milk, 6 eggs, and cheese.  Sure, I can whip up edible eatin's with those ingredients, but after a couple of days of that . . . . .  Shorty made a delicious batch of chili using smoked pork butt we had in the freezer, but I guess my gut hasn't completely recovered since while we were grocery shopping I was forced to indulge in a good dose of Pepto.  Ugh ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...the two girls were hoping for top 50 place and ended up with 85th and 115th.  The boys were ranked 6th...we were hoping to get top 5 and ended up in 7th...which, is a whole lot better than it looked when they were all in. We really thought we were close to last...so a 7th place finish was a relief.

I am wiped out!

Sayhey! MM#130

O my, DH and I have our bibs pinned, our suppers ingested and our sweat rags in the freezer!  Shoo, at least when we ran Key West last month, the race started at 5:30 am.  Tomorrow is a 7 am start.  And thanks to our heat wave, same temps.

Will try to post when we are able.

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck Amy!

MikeE, sounds like a pretty good finish for your teams. I don't think of cross country as much of a spectator sport, but have only been to a couple of them.

Ribs, say hello to The Saint for me. I can't recall what injury she had but glad to see her running again. She was doing so well. Oh, yes, your son is going to be so successful. What a go-getter he is.

Twocat, we have had great weather, in the 70's this week, but it cooled off to the high 40's now.  I know that it can turn to winter any day now but really like this. We had the pontoon and dock in the lake until last weekend.  I feel for Amy and the heat wave. Good luck to you and DH tomorrow.

Henrun, that sounds like one competitive race! It is like that at our local 10k too. When I checked the 60-69 AG I could not believe that the top 3 ran paces of 7:03, 8:20, & 9:39..... I have a long ways to go by next year.

Leslie, you are so great to help The Hub out like that. I want to see Your amazing photos too! Get well soon.

Carolyn has pics on FB but haven't had a chance to peek at them yet.

After not running for more than a week I ran the lake twice this week. Monday I was under an hour but today it was a struggle to get 1:06. It was a lovely day though, sunny, a bit windy, but 47* felt pretty good in long sleeves, long pants and a hat, no gloves needed yet. I have been busy at work, then made a couple of quilts this week and knitted several hats for the Christmas basket giveaway in December. I am curious to see if any of my hats show up on customers I have in the utility office. We disconnected electricity to 13 customers on Wednesday and 2 of them are still off. That is the worst part of this job. We can actually shut some of the meters off right at our desks!

Tomwhite, you can send me your picture! Have fun with. Claire. You are the best grandpa!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

26.2 miles in the rain, . . . again  – 6:48:00

Wow, so sorry you have to do that Starr.  I hope it’s enough of a wake-up call and provides a chance for the delinquents to do a better job of prioritizing their finances.

With mostly half marathoners running, today’s In Unity We Run’s double out-and-back for marathoners made it easy to calculate paces every 6.55 miles (6.55/13.1/19.65/26.2 miles.  Contrary to plans to take advantage last weekend’s surprisingly good Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run thirty minutes faster than in the last two years, I walked most of Unity’s first three legs in 5:45 (16:02m/m) with a 50-yo runner from Wisconsin who works for Homes-for-Humanity and who’d combined the $10 IUWR minimum donation with enough air miles from recent business trips for free flight and local accommodations with his UW grad student son and wife to chalk up his 50th state for $10 total outlay.   We picked up the pace and ran all 6.55 miles back on the last leg, . . . . . . in 1:48 (16:30m/m), 0:00:28m/m slower than when we were mostly walking. <<<(wall/wall)>>>

With only five states and three countries in 39 years, I’m not a 50-stater but would probably be one if I could figure out how to do them for $10 weekends. Interestingly, unlike many 50-staters who have the time and resources to run marathon in 50 or more states in one year, often year-after-year, Tom’s only been averaging three-or-four marathons a year since 2000 and reached the 50-state goal he set along the way in only his 62nd marathon today.  Even more oddly enough, he’d already run a marathon in Washington but, because they only recorded “finish” for the slower runners, the 50-States Marathon Club refused to accept his otherwise perfectly legitimate and official marathon finish so he had to come out again.  I don’t think he minded one bit.

I didn’t mind either, not even another weekend in the rain, albeit only seven hours this time and not last weekend’s 12 hours, nor the slower pace than I’d planned.  Maybe I better enter the First Call Veteran’s Day Marathon, another donation run, next Saturday after all.  We’ll see.

ps – I’m not a face-booker either so hope some of those pictures’ll make their way over here

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet, some of our customers know the drill and still end of cut off many months in a row. The deal is :

• we mail them a bill at the end of the month which is due on the 15th
                          • on the 20th we mail them a notice for the past due bill giving them 10 days to pay. These were due 10/30
                          • on Monday 11/2 we called 89 customers to remind them to pay that day.
                          • just in case they don't believe us, On Tuesday we hang "Urgent Notices" hand delivered giving them until Wednesday at 9AM to pay.
                          • before we whop them off I then call their phone again, then their mama, papa, sister, brother, cousin and first grade teacher. ( I am kidding about that last one). Sometimes we call the landlord but that defeats the purpose of getting paid, they always want services left on, it is less mess for them.

In 1989 I was compassionate, caring, helpful, kind, naive and generally a sweet person. I would lay awake at night thinking of the poor people in this situation and even cry for them. Now I do not cry but I do still care. These are the people I hope to see those hats on so I can start a conversation about giving and that one indescribable love gift over 2000 years ago.

Sidetracked there for a bit but someone thought work stories were interesting.....

Tet, I was reading on the Portland OR Marathon/half marathon site that "

“The best organized Marathon in North America”
                          “One of the top 3 marathons to do as a first marathon”
                          Since 1998 more than half the finishers of the Portland Marathon (runners + walkers), have been female! Last year 58% of our finishers were female.
                          Walker Friendliest Marathon
                          Listed by Runner’s World in 2004 as the “most walker-friendly marathon in the US,” the Portland Marathon has been welcoming walkers for over 20 years! We are fortunate to have a great course that allows us to stay open for a full 8 hours.
                          With our 4500 dedicated volunteers, our event is proud of its motto: “All finishers are treated as winners!”
                          Weather
                          The normal mean Portland temperature for early October is 55 degrees. Rainfall for October 1st averages .02 inches. The estimated normal mean temperature at 7:00 a.m. is 50 and 61 at 12:00 noon.
                          Entertainment – Best in the West
                          The Portland Marathon has an abundance of live entertainment and music along the course. In past years this has included rock, jazz and country bands, a brass fanfare, street performers, a mandolin orchestra, a jug band, two 18 piece big bands, a dixieland band, aerobic dancers and numerous high school cheerleading squads. We attract additional entertainment every year. Last year, over 74 groups entertained at 53 locations along the course.
                          Annual Sports & Fitness Expo

I think I want to go! Do I dare run my 1st marathon at age 60 with bursitis in my hips and this stiff big toe? Sea leaves would be a blast and so would the company if there is a RA party. I have a friend that I could probably stay with there too. Hmmmmmmm................ Who is the event coordinator around here?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcoming walkers for over 20 years!

We are fortunate to have a great course that allows us to stay open for a full 8 hours.

Thanks.

Me too.

After eight hours, the streets and roadways are opened but remaining runners/walkers can finish on the sidewalks,  . . and get official times all the way to 11-hours plus this year. Hope next year works out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

6 miles running and 30 minutes on the bike trainer for me on Saturday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

3 ish miles. Nothing in the tank from start to finish. Still glad I got out there.

SteveP