Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 5/11/14 (Read 22 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run 40 miles/week or more. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard...

Here’s what I have for last week’s tally.

Who

Miles

Commentary

IBleedUnionBlue

Capital City HM/Flying Pig Marathon

Mike E

23 yrs old – very sad

Runnerclay

Darkside 8-Hour Run

A Trackrat

Nice week

Alexander

Recovery and beer

Holly

Flying Pig Marathon

C-R

Vanilla is good

SubDood

Snow!

KellyDodge

80 lb weight loss – wow – awesome! Plus 1st AG and rival-beating!

Opie

Free Pass

Got sick…..

Here’s my tentative plan for the week. This will be a recovery week, so I may have to give myself a free pass.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

0 miles

0 miles

Rest day

Tuesday

4-6 miles

4 miles

Recovery pace

Wednesday

4-6 miles

4.3 miles

Recovery pace

Thursday

4-6 miles

5 miles

Easy pace

Friday

0-3 miles

0 miles

Weights and core

Saturday

4-6 miles

10.2 miles

Long run

Sunday

8-12 miles

7 miles

Long run

Total

30.5 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM #7877

I'm struggling.  As several of you may know, I have lost considerable weight on a very restrictive, very low fat, mostly earth based vegetarian diet.  It seems that now about 11 months into this, several things might be happening to my body.  I am exhausted, fatigued, weak and have lost muscle coordination. This is a small group, but I can share here that muscular movements arent smooth, and I have been urinating myself. Several blood tests came back indicating problems and I continue to get tested.  I'm concerned.  Even though I had a relatively good time last week in the Pig, my runs this week have been in the 12 minute mile range. The anxiety is definitely affecting my runs. I've gotten obsessed with diet and scales. Once I lose another pound, I strive to maintain that loss. This morning, I was under 128. Two days ago, I binged on 5 bananas and oatmeal, then starved myself for the next day and ate less then 700 calories. I cant seem to stop. My Doctor told me I am too light, and should probably be 137 - 141. He also insists I add some fat back into my diet.

I could use some prayer for those that believe.  This week will be a light week, but I will try to hit my 40 mile goal.

47.8 m this week. Most in the 12-13 minute range.

Philippians 4:13.

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks Holly!  I don't know what I'm going to do, this week.  I have 2 church meetings and my DD wants me to do a 5K with her this weekend.  It's too close to my marathon to be messing up my training.  Anyway...here’s the plan as scheduled for the week…

Day

Plan

Actual

Comment

Monday

10 (6 Strength)

1:23:33 (including 4 x 1.5 between 9:51 and 9:42) + crunches and stretches

Tuesday

Rest

Wednesday

13 (10 Tempo)

1:39:07 (including 10 miles in 1:06:54) + crunches and stretches

Thursday

6 Easy

49:27 on the treadmill so I could watch the NFL draft + crunches and stretches

Friday

10 Easy

1:21:47 + crunches and stretches

Saturday

10 Easy

1:28:52 (including 2.8 with my GD in 38:58) + crunches and stretches

Sunday

8 Easy

1:03:36 + crunches and stretches

Total

Just a dude.

Traveling part of this week, so things could look weird... so far so good though...

M - 6.4 Easy

T - Off - Travel

W- 5.4 Windy

T - 8.5 Easy

F - 6.8 Easy

S - 14.5 Long / Trail

S - 5.4 Easy + Strides

Total - 47

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

SubDood

Thanks, Holly! Good luck with the post-marathon recovery.

I am in. The plan is starting to look like another marathon on June 1st -- Minneapolis Marathon.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

0 miles

Rest Day

Tuesday

6 mi

6.2 miles

Easy pace. 

Wednesday

6 mi

9.5 miles

3 x 2 mi (13:10, 13:12, 13:47) 

Thursday

8 mi

5.9 miles

Easy pace.

Friday

6 mi 

7.6 miles

Easy pace.

Saturday

6 mi

6.0 miles

Tempo Run -- 4 mi @ ~7:00 pace 

Sunday

18-20 mi 

18.0 miles

Long Run -- 18 mi in 2:21

Total

52 miles 

53.2 miles 

C-R

Thanks Holly. Hoping into the 40 pool again.

MTA - 36.8 - need a pass. No time for miles last weekend.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Mon

0-0

Tue

0-0

Wed

4- 5

Thur

7- 0  

Fri

4- 0.4  rain started 

Sat

15 - 24.1

Sun

10- 10.7

TOTAL   40  Actual 40.4

Reached my 40 mile week. Just need to not to 35 miles of it on the weekend.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Hi Holly.  Here is my plan, which should get me close to 40.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

5 miles

3 miles

Maybe dehydrated from the weekend???

Tuesday

0 miles

0 miles

Rest is good

Wednesday

6 miles

6 miles

3 at tempo pace

Thursday

6 miles

6 miles

Easy pace. plus "lifting"

Friday

6 miles

6 miles

3 at quickish pace (8 m/M)

Saturday

6 miles

4 miles

Easy pace

Sunday

11 miles

Fun run with friends (former World Championship 11 Miler plus 3)

Total

40 miles

39 miles

I'm in.  Didn't have much of a plan this week but I have 34 miles now and I can run 6 tomorrow!

Dennis, let me add my voice to those thinking about you and hoping things turn around.

Monday.............Easy 5.1 miles

Tuesday............Wave 6.1

Wednesday.......Easy 5.9

Thursday...........Easy 2.9

Friday................Easy 5.8

Saturday...........Warm up + 10k race=8.4...One of my best 10k's

Sunday.............Easy 6.4

Total.................40.7

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

SubDood

I'm struggling.  As several of you may know, I have lost considerable weight on a very restrictive, very low fat, mostly earth based vegetarian diet.  It seems that now about 11 months into this, several things might be happening to my body.  I am exhausted, fatigued, weak and have lost muscle coordination. This is a small group, but I can share here that muscular movements arent smooth, and I have been urinating myself. Several blood tests came back indicating problems and I continue to get tested.  I'm concerned.  Even though I had a relatively good time last week in the Pig, my runs this week have been in the 12 minute mile range. The anxiety is definitely affecting my runs. I've gotten obsessed with diet and scales. Once I lose another pound, I strive to maintain that loss. This morning, I was under 128. Two days ago, I binged on 5 bananas and oatmeal, then starved myself for the next day and ate less then 700 calories. I cant seem to stop. My Doctor told me I am too light, and should probably be 137 - 141. He also insists I add some fat back into my diet.

I could use some prayer for those that believe.  This week will be a light week, but I will try to hit my 40 mile goal.

Dennis,

I saw this and my heart sank. I hope you receive some good care and advice from your Doctor. My thoughts are with you. Your health and overall well-being are so very important. Diet, scales, and miles should not be your priorities right now, in my very humble opinion.

Bob

Mike E

MM #5615

I don't know how I missed your post, IBUB.  You will definitely be in my prayers.

I agree with Bob.  Running can add so much to your life, but if you plan to run all your life and run for a long time, this diet does not seem to be helping.  5 bananas and oatmeal is not a binge!

Rolf

Dennis,

I saw this and my heart sank. I hope you receive some good care and advice from your Doctor. My thoughts are with you. Your health and overall well-being are so very important. Diet, scales, and miles should not be your priorities right now, in my very humble opinion.

Bob

MM #7877

Thanks guys, your comments are appreciated. Mike, you didnt miss post, I edited post to come clean.  I am struggling. I need to find that balance between a health diet and exercise that leads to lifetime health & fitness, and not either extreme that leads back to obesity or to obsession / starvation.

I have more blood tests not this week, but next week. And I promised the doctor I would add calories and fats back into my daily diet. I've already started doing this by using Olive Oil for my salad dressing, taking in Omega 3 fish Oil, And last night, I stopped at United Dairy Farmers and ate Ice Cream for the first time in 11 months. (Holly will be familiar with UDF Ice Cream). I also got 14 hours of sleep today and an easy pace, enjoyable 10 mile jog that doubled as prayer time also. I also did not step on scales today which has become an obsession. Thank you for well wished and prayers. I'm gonna get this right.

Philippians 4:13.

9.5 with threshold intervals and pick ups

7.5 with some fast 1-1:15 work

9.5 trails

6 recovery trails/hills

14 with tempo 10K in 40 min (into a light to moderate wind)

just a shade under 60

Just a dude.

Thanks guys, your comments are appreciated. Mike, you didnt miss post, I edited post to come clean.  I am struggling. I need to find that balance between a health diet and exercise that leads to lifetime health & fitness, and not either extreme that leads back to obesity or to obsession / starvation.

I have more blood tests not this week, but next week. And I promised the doctor I would add calories and fats back into my daily diet. I've already started doing this by using Olive Oil for my salad dressing, taking in Omega 3 fish Oil, And last night, I stopped at United Dairy Farmers and ate Ice Cream for the first time in 11 months. (Holly will be familiar with UDF Ice Cream). I also got 14 hours of sleep today and an easy pace, enjoyable 10 mile jog that doubled as prayer time also. I also did not step on scales today which has become an obsession. Thank you for well wished and prayers. I'm gonna get this right.

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Please remember that numbers only describe things. They aren't real. Whether your weight is 127 or 137 is just a number. Take a step back and think about the quality of your life. When you decided to lose all the weight and get in shape, you were able to make lots of changes that allowed you to do that. Now that you are here, see if you can make another set of changes to start the next phase of your life.

I'll pray...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...