Masters Running

Continental Friday Daily - 11.22.13 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm trying to not play geographical favorites...

Even though it was 50 years ago, this is still a very sad day.

Stumpy, very few people who know me are up and out when I do my workouts, so they never see me running. Although the paper delivery guy has questioned me about it whenever he sees me running.

Leslie, go to YouTube and search for 'slow-motion race walking' to see a few videos of pros slowed down enough that you can really see how they are moving/walking.

Mustang Sally's and Tet's posts (page 2) yesterday were wonderful, and made me think about the truths about myself. Thank you.

Last night's meeting (#4) was challenging but good. This was our wrap-up dinner for the Seacoast Half Marathon. It was challenging only because it was like the proverbial herding of cats to try to keep everyone focused so we could dissect and discuss the race in a logical manner. It was good because we had a lot of fun, and a lot of good discussion, and enjoyed each others company. I like this team a lot.

It was a 3+ hour meeting last night, so I got home a bit on the late side. Then, because the restaurant (as most do) used salt a lot more liberally than we do at home, and despite having gone through a few glasses of water (in addition to my martini), I was up often during the night with a very dry mouth. So instead of an early workout this morning, I slept in and then stacked a few wagon-loads of fire wood before heading to the office.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good Morning coastwalker!  Smart move on the workout (well, stacking wood is a work-out,but you know what I mean---sleep is good!)

As someone with a birthday on 9/11 and married to someone who was born on this day and in that particular year---Mr. CNYrunner is 50 years-old today (born hours before the tragic event in Dallas)--- we choose to celebrate life, especially when the media is swirling all around us ---all week, all month, and all year. This is not to suggest that we aren’t mourning loss, but I don’t want my DH to feel he can’t celebrate his milestone day today.

C-R cracked me up yesterday when he said he thinks about his FB posts in terms of grandmotherly approval.  I just go ahead and put my grandmother on Facebook! Yesterday was super-granny’s 103rd birthday and I can’t wait to show her all the birthday wishes that grew and grew all day yesterday on my FB page.  Thanks to all who posted. Her short- term memory is basically gone now, but her recall of years past---from about 1915 onward (when she was five years-old) is sharp and clear.

Speaking of FB----bear in mind that sites like this one, right here at RA are also quite public---any stalker or lurker can grab your family photos and also just google your handle or real name and find all your posts and personal details----I know this from experience---the training log might be password protected, but this is an open site---be careful.

I also cracked up at C-R’s 80s music reference. I spend a fair amount of time on the road and a good portion in my car. I have satellite radio and sometimes listen to the “progressive 80s station”----Modern English, The Alarm, Thompson Twins, New Order, Bronski Beat etc. Feels like freshman year in college all over again….ack! or now it’s the background music for margarine commercials (Modern English---“I'll melt with you” or heard while waiting for the dentist (Spandau Ballet just as the plaque scraping started!)

Oh yeah! Running…..after a week of every other day running, I am running  a bit more this week, but still just playing and not training.  I ran with Iron J this morning in the ebbing rain----11.6 miles of chatter and comparing kiddo applying to college notes (her eldest kiddo is two weeks older than mine).  Good run and now on to to the continued birthday fun. I hadn’t been born on this date 50 years ago and my M and D were in Switzerland where my father was working and wrapping up a Fulbright fellowship. I have the telegram he received from the then Senator Kennedy in 1957 congratulating him on his Fulbright since he’d be representing MA.

Good Luck to all those racing over the weekend and TGIF!

Oh and another shout-out to lamerunner and her race committee members for the Manchester marathon---not only is the race well organized and quite inexpensive for what you get in return (even official race photos are included in the price of entry!)----the age group awards are awesome. I was on the road yesterday and came home to a mail pile that included my 3rd place 45-49 prize----a signed copy of "26.2"----autographed by Kathrine Switzer and husband Roger Robinson. Far better than any medal or trophy and something I'll treasure!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Before the daily gets too long and I get too lost, I'm poking my head in and saying hi. Smile

Happy 103rd Birthday to Super-Granny!  I hope I look as good at 73 as she does at 103.  Amazing.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

ARC trainer and weights this morning.  Did some squats.  Hope I can run tomorrow morning as planned.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I've had a few, "what was I thinking" moments on FB, mostly involving friending folks from my 40th reunion that I hadn't seen in 40 years.  Being a liberal, but willing to laugh at them or look at other views, some of the opposite views were hard to deal with, even using Leslie's scroll by technique.  So the "Hide " function can be useful without the extreme of unfriending.

anyway, considering some of the things aired here, I don't think many are building glamorous faux online personalities here.  Wink  But there's enough real life included to feel a real connection to folks.  For those of us lucky enough to meet IRL, the experience tells us that there is substance and people worth calling friends underneath the "imaginary" friends online.  Not to mention, there's a good likelihood that I wouldn't still be running and know I wouldn't have run a marathon without the peer pressure and I'm grateful for that.

Oh, I didn't run this morning.  Peer pressure will only get you so far.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

,,,still laughing over tet's ''and not like his Screaming Passengers'' Line..........

my

favorite comedy is

when

you KNOW something's coming, and you still can't guess the PunchLine

thanks tet,

I needed that.

==================

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

celebrate life - definitely the way to go CNY and happy bday super granny

ran 4 drippy miles - i thought the rain had let up, so kept going & at the point of no return, i got drenched.

good luck racers and happy running, walking, and cross-training!

marj

King of PhotoShop

I have lots of fun with FB:  my daily run and what I wore, food and cooking, insulting or praising my friends, and corny jokes.  RA friends are on my "Spareribs" FB account and others are on the account in my real name, which is always politically correct.

Cold here and windy, 39 degrees.  RP and I did just 4.5 miles, which gives me 40 for the week with tomorrow yet to go.  Spareribs

lamerunner

Good morning, and Happy Friday.  Cold and rainy here; hoping some of this crud is snow up north. DS VERY excited about the upcoming ski camp and missing next week of school ( they only have school Monday and Tuesday anyway).  We are really hoping he has a good season after lots of frustrations last year. He has been doing his dry land training pretty diligently and has new equipment so we hope there won't be all that pre-releasing he went through..

This morning I ran an easy 6.5 around town, some rain but lighter thankfully than what is coming down now. Hoping for a swim later. Yesterday I ran about 8 on the rail trail in very chilly but sunny conditions.

Jay, if we are talking about the race in October, the Maine Coast Marathon does have a half. I have run the full marathon a few times but never the half; the races start together and the half racers then turn off halfway out; often I wanted to be them... also, glad your team had a nice dinner out.

Karin, glad you liked the book. Hope others do too.  I bought a paperback version at the expo but then gave it to a friend for her birthday, so I need to find another one.

Interesting comments re FB. I came to it pretty late and don't put a lot on there, nor anything terribly personal,  but I am not clever enough to come up with any different persona; what you see is pretty much what you get. Lots of hiking pictures... the cats get in there now and then when I am bored. I am careful about some aspects of it, don't usually friend folks I work with currently, but I also figure if someone wanted to find it, they probably could.  There are lots of different FB styles I have noticed; some use it to promote a business and have very little of a personal nature ( or have multiple pages maybe); others seem to post every brain fart. I do like seeing pictures of my DD and her friends, though she seems to use it much less than when she was younger and I have reconnected with a couple of HS friends that way, which has been fun.

I agree on the sadness of this day; I was almost three and my mother was ironing when the news came on the radio... so I guess it is true we all knew where we were. Interesting discussions on public radio this week.

Happy Friday; anyone racing this weekend?

Mariposai

I try to simplify my life, I try to keep it simple...so i am who I am here, there and everywhere.

No running, but I did some challenging balance XT, just for 15', but it felt like an hour.

My son Daniel is coming home tonight as a welcome  home surprise I invited a few of his closest friends who are also in town for a tamales and pico de gallo party. It should be fun.

Cold, but gorgeous day around here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

tamales and pico de gallo! mmmm!

got in a quick 3 mile run last night. It sure gets dark fast! I was wearing my lighted vest and headlamp though.  I might try and get in another short run tonight too (while David finishing up bball practice). Starting today, he's on a 10 day break. He used to not like school breaks, but now he looks forward to them. Schools a lot tougher now so he loves the mental break he gets. Still pulling straight A's though throughout his school career. 2 more trimesters to go and he's off to high school. He's really hoping to keep his 4.0 thru middle school.

FB is a social outlet for me and a place where I can stalk the dual personalities of Ribs. and keep in touch with long distance family members, old highschool friends, running friends - both local and my long distance "virtual" friends here.  With my privacy settings, I think FB is a more private venue than this public forum, but I don't post anything that could potentially come back to bite me in the butt anyways.

after today, I'm on vacation all next week also. Have a variety of things I want to get accomplished at home, but other than that, I don't really have any plans - other than sleeping in, morning walks with the dogs on the trails, some afternoon runs when it warms up a bit. And maybe start making a dent in our semi-kitchen updating by starting with light fixtures and pricing out new granite-like counters.

Tammy

C-R

Glad those are nice folks Jay. 3+ hours in a meeting is looooong.

Happy birthday to super granny. 103! wow. My grandma turns 100 on Jan 6. It should be an epic family party.

I do not want to fly on Tet's airlines based on that one. Pretty funny though.

That's nice posie and the food sounds great. Any extra?

I had a nice 10k at lunch. Left hammy was making some noise. Interesting but likely it is worried about Monkey. Meh.

Oh and on the music - I was reminded how bad Culture Club was back in the day and it ain't any better now. Ugh. Couldn't hit mute fast enough.

Cheers and good luck racers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

On FB all I do is post about travel, running and food.  I sure hope there is more to me than that!  Well, I guess just those three would not be so bad.  Wink

CNYrunner your idea of "not training" would kill most people!

No FB posting for me today as I am not traveling, running or cooking today.  I have a long time friend of mine spending the day here at work and we are going to dinner together tonight.  The restaurant we have booked is quite good so I am looking forward to the evening.  This morning was spent on the elliptical and then weights and such.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Super Granny!

I talked my boss into letting me work from home today, given that 1) Fridays I work only 5 hours anyway, 2) I will be gone all weekend chaperoning my DS' club event and I wanted extra time to get some stuff done, and 3) working from home saves me more than two hours, since I don't have the commute and don't have to get "office ready."  So, I put that extra time to good use and got my LR in today.  Smile

15 miles for me in a light drizzle and 51 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."