Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.23.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TW, are you sick? As my DW always says: DON'T DO IT!! However, it appears you've already done it, so I'll also wash my toothbrush with Listerine. Get better, OK?

Rain & wind, rain & wind. We lost power just long enough to get our attention last night, and to remind us that, ultimately, we really are not in control like we think we are.

With downpours and 20+ mph winds this morning, spending some time with a book seemed a fine idea.

We closed online registration last night with 1,003 racers. Packet pick-up and in-person registration is open from 12-6 today and tomorrow, and before the race on Saturday. I just finished downloading the registration roster, converting it to our pick-up roster, and printing a couple of copies. The weather for Saturday looks to be sunny and dry, and I'll gladly take that for our race day! With her races a week behind ours, I imagine Lamerunner is managing similar tasks and going through similar thought processes. She's built a great reputation for her races, so kuddos to her!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good luck Jay, and I hope everything goes smoothly for you on race day.

Yesterday we had dry weather during our tour of Tulum and part of the Coba tour (long enough to climb the pyramid), so we did get some nice time in before the downpours started again.  Today we take the ferry to Cozumel for a tour and some snorkeling.  Did you know the reef here is the 2nd longest in the world - nearly 100 miles long, I believe.  Keeping my fingers crossed for some dry weather.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

But Holly, if you're snorkeling, does it really matter if it's raining?   I know you'll have a great time.

My run schedule was impeccable for a change.  Several reverse 911 type warnings on our cells, including one on DW's that woke us up about 3:30am.  The forecast for several inches of rain seem to be accurate, if possibly overly conservative, judging by the puddles on the way to work.

Have fun RDing on Sat., Jay.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

I was snorkeling one day in Cozumel with my sons and when we came up I saw that Travis didn't have his snorkel on.  I asked him what happened.  He said, "I took it off and left it over there," as if he had put it on a table top and it would be right there when he got back. Of course there was a current, so "over there" turned out to be a hell of a swim for me to go and retrieve it for him.  We joke about it to this day.  Have fun snorkeling Holly. It's a blast there.

Well, I did my interval workout yesterday, a short one, and today it was the Saint's turn, so I took her to Hudson's school track and she did her longest workout yet, 6 x 800 meters (400 recovery) at 9 minute/mile pace.  Nailed it, and I'm very proud of her. I jogged 4.5 miles and kept her company some of the way.

This afternoon we're going to a local shoe store to work packet pickup for my Club's 5K and 10K race on Saturday.  She will volunteer at the race also, while I run the Tyler Cup 2-miler and try to beat my old nemesis.  Spareribs

Jay - Good luck with your race this weekend!  I'm glad the weather is cooperating.

Holly - Those places are beautiful, aren't they?

We've been getting some good rain since last night.  Tomorrow we're supposed to get a break, then back through next week.  Yay!!  Hurts The Hub's ability to work, but like I've said so many times before, we desperately need it.

45 min of core/ST this a.m. while watching "Open Range."  Love a good western, and Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall are two of my all time favorite actors.  Throw in Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, and Tommy Lee Jones - I'm in western heaven.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

another rainy day here and it's the day our granite is being installed, so I expect to come home to a very dirty floor as the workers will be going in and out alot since they are cutting the granite on site, not pre-fabbing it elsewhere and bringing it to our house ready to install. But that's fine, I finally get my new kitchen counters and appliances in! 

David and his team did great at Districts yesterday. As a team, we knew we did not have a shot at 1st place, but had a good shot at 2nd and that would be enough to get them to state and they pulled it off with a fairly comfortable lead of 25 pts. David said he didn't run quite as well as he wanted, but he ran an 18:26 on a hilly course, which is only 14 seconds off his PR, so I think he did pretty amazing. But another freshman (also a David) beat him by 2 seconds and he's never passed David before, so I think that made my David feel like he didn't run as well as he should have, BUT my David beat our usual 2nd place runner, who's a junior.  Our senior runner won the race easily. He's also #1 in the state.  Girls team came in 3rd place, so unfortunately they won't be going to state. just our 5 boys will be going. 

I'll get in a run late this afternoon. leave work around 4:15 or so.

Tammy

IRC here today, at least for Michigan runners. Only 35F, but bright sunshine and no wind. So I got dragged around that @#$% golf course again on an even hillier route than last week (or at least that's what my legs are still telling me!) for about 6 miles. But at least it was beautiful out there: quiet, green fairways surrounded by trees at peak color, and deer everywhere. Wish I could run like one!

Good running on this October day, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

I had a nice 4.8 mile run sandwiched between a couple non work related meetings this morning.

Sayhey! MM#130

good day all, sorry about the rain that is dampening so many of you.    And happy Belated Birthday to EasyPacer!  Best always, for a greta year to come.

marj, that was lovely, about you and henrun in Michigan.  Maybe you 2 will just get cherry-crazy in 2015 and decide to revisit the area after you return from Europe.   I hope you'll keep a little flame of hope for us?

One of my Massachusetts friends posted that she wouldn't know me if someone posted a photo of me on FB not in running clothes.  I'll have to go dig out that dress I bought after the big Vet bill and see what I can do....

Love the quote today, Dave.  I'm about to go get some.  Coffee.....

Before I do, just have to say I checked and I can get a flight to and from Traverse City with my frequent flyer miles.  I imagine the race won't fill up real soon, but I like to stay near the start, and those places are numbered, so I may have to make a decision soon.  It will mean forgoing Grandma's, so I'm going to check in with my chum in Duluth.  Do you think you'd be likely to at least stop by, Roch and Steve?   This could be a hugely super fun time!

Didn't go to the run shop last night, so just an easy 6, at least got to Lakes Park and ran in the last 2  miles around 8:40 as it was starting to get dark.  This am is sleep-in am so just 3 jogging miles under a cloudy but at least dry sky.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Aamos, I'm ready to make reservations! The full is capped at 1000 and the half (which I'd do) at 1200, so I'm not sure how early it fills up. I'll probably stay about 17 miles north in Petoskey. There are not all that many accommodations in Charlevoix as I recall, and my DW and I do have a favorite place in Petoskey.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

On Tuesday, I got my wife back home.  She's taking it easy, as she should, to aid in her recovery.  I'm pretty much into my normal routine.

marj and henrun, nice 3 mile race.  wild, good job in your 15K trail race with 1/5 in AG.  Holly, I'm glad to hear your Mexican vacation has not all been rainy and your are building family memories.  You mentioned Tulum.  Several years ago we went on a cruise that stopped at Cozumel.  We took a bus ride to Tulum and enjoyed touring it.  I finished the tour a little before the bus was scheduled to leave and did a 2 mile run to say I'd run in Mexico.  Starr, enjoy your visit with your son and grandkids.  Trackrat, I hope your move from Alaska goes well for you and your family.  Mike, sorry to hear about your pain (PF).  Dave, have a good race on Mackinac Island.  Is that the one they call Great Turtle?  Several times I've done the September 8 mile race around the perimeter of the island.  C-R, sorry to hear about your cat.  We do get attached to those pets.  Hopeful, happy birthday (I hope you're reading this).  mari, extend birthday wishes to the Easy Pacer.  Tammy, congrats to your son and his team.

Nice long runs for stumpy, Twocat, deez, mari, evan, Dave, and CNY (including race),  Good job on the speedwork for ribs and The Saint.

Before coming home on Tuesday, I got in a 5 mile run.  This morning, it was about 30° and almost calm.  I did 6 miles at an 11:02 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  No run again, tonight.  I think I might have to run this Saturday, though.  Our cross country team...both the boys and the girls made it to State!  That's the first time in school history that they've done that.  As happy as I am for the kids...I am even more happy for the coach.  He really deserves this.  So...I will probably be running this Saturday.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

mrrun the no running in the rain© policy is always the right policy!  Well not if it is race day and a race you have been training for months to do or a relay and your team is counting on you, but otherwise.  Today, I made good use of that policy and after stepping out my front door in the dim morning light I discovered the weather map was wrong and it was raining!    Solution?  Went back inside.  Took off my long sleeved shirt.  Put on a short sleeved one.  Went to the basement and got on the TM.  Yes, the TM is horrible but better than running in the rain.  Rules are rules!  So it was 8 TM miles instead and an episode of Gotham.

Holly S. I hope you have great weather for not only your next outing but for the rest of your trip.

stumpy77 actually, rain does impact snorkeling and not in a good way.  Rain churns up the bottom of the ocean and can make it impossible to see more than a few inches in front of you.  A really good storm can wreck the viewing for most of the next day too.  Which leads to a policy my friends and I had long ago when I used to scuba dive; yep, no scuba diving in the rain!© 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for the well wishes folks.  Today was a blast - ferry to Cozumel, snorkeling on the reef, lunch at an open air restaurant on the other side of the island with a sand floor and swings instead of bar stools, gorgeous weather - awesome day!

Hoping you are all having great times as well...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

No scuba diving in the rain???

Seriously???

Well, I am enjoying the taper week for my impromptu 50k this weekend. I did plan after work, but the good weather turned into a windy one, so I changed plans I decided to take a luxurious hot bad readying my book and drinking a glass of good red wine. Ohhh live is good.

I am so excited about this weekend. I will be hanging out with Enkie, giving a huge hug to my birthday sistahh Wildchild, to dove and the taper boy. Life is good!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard