Masters Running

Sandy Monday Daily, 10.29.12 (Read 392 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

My body parts are feeling normal again (I don't know if that is a good thing...Wink) after yesterday's half, but it still seemed to make sense to keep today as an SRD, so I did.

Even way up here in coastal NH, we are starting to feel the effects of Sandy this morning; some rain, some horizontal wind with speeds in the low 20s. High tide (an astronomical/full moon high tide, no less) will be just before noon today, and again just before midnight tonight. The winds are supposed to pick up starting at midday, with gusts expected to be in the 50s. We're expecting significant flooding around both high tides, and we'll just have to wait to see what damage the winds do. Since we are on the far fringes of the storm, I can hardly imagine what our friends in states from NC to CT will be dealing with. Be safe, friends.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...stay safe guys///..........fill up those bathtubs, you may need the water.......

========

just PT Exercises today

starting to feel it on the delts,

...OM///....any suggestions to lessen the pressure from the SidePlanks??

.......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

4 sloppy wet miles this morning...

Stay safe everyone!!!

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey guys, just checking in here from Northern NJ... so far just rainy and blustery, but we've filled the bathtubs and are as ready as we're going to be. Praying no one gets hit hard and that all stay safe.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

endorsing what Lynden said about everyone back there

and the local forecast of another typical fall day in the Pacific Northwest.

IMG_0119

Carkeek 12-hour rain-a-thon

© Glenn Tachiyama photo

(10/27/12)

(only the fourth time I've worn a raincoat in a marathon, etc. since 1977, two of 'em at Carkeek)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I have a coworker who's a little obsessed with Sandy so I can hear his radio going with news.  Hope everyone out there makes it through okay.

You guys know I have never been one to sit around and wait for a promotion.  My boss left last month as I mentioned once and I've expressed my interest but here's an exciting position I just applied for, the state Ethics Commission Exec. Director: http://www.ok.gov/oec/Staff/Employment_Opportunities/index.html

I'll run this evening.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

King of PhotoShop

Surprised myself by doing 5.6 easy today on the dirt.  After Sunday's double races I thought I would be tired, but because I did them at tempo pace I'm feeling pretty good.

Thinking about Hally, WRFB, PDR, OM and others up the coast.  I know you will take care.  Spareribs

OrangeMat I am guessing you are on well water. There is a run on water here in my CT town by those with wells.  We have city water and to date have never had it go down.  Of course we have never had a storm like this either!

coastwalker what is the latest on how bad are you supposed to get hit?  From the last weather map I saw it looks like you might not get roughed up by Sandy too bad.

evanflein just think for once you have better weather than many of us!

Sarge send those trucks to CT!  Last year the Halloween snow storm left some people in my area without power for over a week!

stumpy77 what is this running you mention?  Confused

tselbs normally it seems like you have to run most of the year in weather way colder than I would like but like evanflein for once it looks like you have the better running local!

My DW is home today working until we lose power as am I.  Well except for this RA break.  The wind has really picked up.  The rain is still on and off and nothing more than a drizzle so far.  West of us it is apparently pouring!  My town, at the moment, is just outside the edge of the rain.  My DW and I are all stocked up for a few days without power.  If we are out longer than that I suspect we will split up and stay closer to where each of us work in digs with power.

Later in the day after my run yesterday my ankle let me know it was not fully healed up.  So it looks like at least another week or two of no running.  Just in case it needs something more than just some additional time off I am keeping my doctor's appointment for this Thursday.  Well, keeping as in if Sandy lets that happen!  Alas, my ankle's unwillingness to cooperate and heal up has put the kibosh on the Disney marathon and HM plans my DW and I had.  Such is life.  Instead we will likely go to a warm island someplace for a few days.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

The rec. center is closed so we did not meet to run. So I did not run. I don't mind running in the rain but sideways cold rain is more than I can handle. Although, right now the rain is still vertical. NASA is closed but my work is not closed but I am not needed until tomorrow. 

Tunnels and bridges are closing. And the ferry is not running. But so far, we still have power. 

New Jersey looks to be where Sandy wants to beach.

MTA:  Just called the rec. center and they ARE open! I thought they followed the school's closing schedule. I was wrong.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - nice HM for you yesterday!

Erika - I know what you mean about how satisfying it can be to get all that household stuff done that has been building up. Sometimes I think about how much more I could get done if I ran less.

Monday is usually x-training day, but I ate so many high-calorie treats over the weekend that I felt compelled to run instead.  Plus I got to watch the next installment of Downton Abbey (I got the first season from the library).

5 miles total.

I called my brother in the Virginia Beach area and he said things were not too bad there, mostly rainy, but that he got the day off.  Hopefully the folks up the coast come through safe.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey guys!  I'm just jumping on here quick to wish all of you affected by Sandy good luck and hope you all come through it safely. 

Okay--that's it--gotta go!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika - I know what you mean about how satisfying it can be to get all that household stuff done that has been building up. Sometimes I think about how much more I could get done if I ran less.

that's okay holly, but just don't think about it while you're running.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Top 'O the World!

** Prayers for the folks on the East Coast!!** 

Hugely busy wknd (intense workshop) = lack of good sleep = some random sucky short runs....looking fwd to recovering my personal schedule cause I really need a decent run....oh wait, I should save it for Moab this wknd, yes? 

Hoping everyone has a Greta Weak! 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hope everyone stays safe out east.

I did a 7 mile trail hike/run yesterday.  About 3 miles up with 1600 ft elevation gain, hiking most of it, then ran 4 miles all the way down.  Took me almost two hours.  The view at the top was worth it, I could see clear east to Mt. Rainier.  Within an hour of so after the run, my legs felt like toast.  They ached all night and today it hurts just to walk.  That's thanks to the downhill running.  They haven't been this sore since I ran my only marathon.  To make things worse, the elevator is not working today!!

Tet - very impressive!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...... Sometimes I think about how much more I could get done if I ran less.

...yes,

but you might not be able to fit into that FlapperCostume......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....