Masters Running

Speed (Read 394 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Alex, that is something I have thought about, but most training plans don't suggest. At the end of my last training cycle, I was running most of my miles at 7:00 something pace. But what got me there...running most of my runs fast. Or running slower with speed work a couple of times a week...very interesting. I think I personally should be running a lot quicker on most of my runs....close tho MP, but also feel the need for speed...what does that fast speed get me really. I wish I could race more, but where I live there are not a lot of races...sigh. Seems like what I posted deals with injuries, more than hard workouts being bad...right. Twocat, I will make it to the start line...ready to race. What you posted I am still trying to understand and make sense of...you make soooo much sense. Tall, you are impressive and very strong...I wanna be like you. Erika, see ya in Seattle...sorry you are hurting right now. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

My long post was trying to say most of the details regarding your training will likely have very little impact in the end. If you follow the broad principles that nearly all training plans incorporate you should do about as well as you can given the intensity of your training. I know it took me way too long to say that! Black eye Back to too long a discussion: Basically, there are two ways to discover if something works in sports training. The first, easiest, clearest and often best is a NIH sponsored large scale double blind study. Those, alas, are few and far between. But when they do come out they are worth paying attention to. The second is to let competitive pressures do their work. If something works, top athletes are all eventually forced to adopt it to remain competitive. (Even things that have long run negative consequences like steroid use.) If something does not it will eventually fall out of favor. (For example, training so hard every day you nearly drop dead prior to falling asleep each night.) So, an easy principle to follow is make sure your training plan includes whatever the "typical" one does. That is all I wanted to really get across. A quick story: Advice from experts can violate the above principles and when they do I would ignore the "expert." Here is an example from Pfitz's book that I am pulling out simply because I am more familiar with his plan than any other. If you look at his schedule you will see very few MP runs. Why? My reading is that he believes MP runs are too slow to help either with your V02 max or LT but fast enough to dramatically increase the chance of injury. That sounds very reasonable. But is it true? I suspect not. From what I can tell training plans are becoming more and more likely to include MP runs of various sorts, as well as more and more of them. Some, it seems, have you do them almost every week! So it appears that competitive pressures are pushing coaches to move uniformly in this direction. That strongly suggests MP runs, and perhaps a lot of them, are likely a good idea. So, during my next marathon training cycle you can bet I will add in far more than Pfitz suggests doing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

That strongly suggests MP runs, and perhaps a lot of them, are likely a good idea. So, during my next marathon training cycle you can bet I will add in far more than Pfitz suggests doing.
        Back when I was thinking about this training cycle, I told myself I would run lots of miles at MP. Well, I needed to build base miles first so maybe I can incorporate more MP miles now, along with my track work and wave runs. Some of the best Marathon runners I know here at home, run lots of MP miles and don't do any track or anaerobic work much at all...they don't see the purpose on such a long race. Actually at the end of my training cycle last fall, I was so fit that all my runs were quicker than MP...so I guess there is more than one way to train for Marathons, but it does get confusing sometimes with all the different training plans out there. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!