Masters Running

Leapin' Lizards 2.29 (Read 39 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

More hugs and good wishes for Deez and Steven.  That sounds scary.

RCG, bummer about your Wyoming trip!  I was so looking forward to meeting you and the RS!  Hope his calf recovers soon.  And I didn' t know you have a flying phobia - maybe you should talk to MikeE!  Or maybe a road trip is in your future?

Leslie, I agree with the others who've said your transcription job sounds tough - probably never any cases that are positive, and a lot of rotten people.   Good luck with your training for the Pick your Poison 24 hour race!  It seems like your training is going well so far, and I hope that keeps up!

Enke, sorry you're joining me and Stumpy in the sore knee club.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

So sorry to hear about Deez's son's situation. I've heard this flu is a real bear for complications. {{Deez and Steven}}

The substance abuse problem is rampant, and I struggle to know why it's gotten so bad. Is it that it's always been there but swept out of sight? I know Juneau (where Tet was) has been seeing a terrible increase in heroin overdoses in young adults this past few years. Just such a sad thing, and so unnecessary. As if life weren't hard enough.

Barb... Moose's Tooth Marathon? It used to be called Humpy's Marathon, and in 2007 was my first BQ!

I sure wish that there was a parts store to get replacement knees, calves, hips. etc.  Too many injured runners. At least it isn't the middle of summer. So surprised about twocat's marathon in NOLA. How fun to run with PosieMarj, wow, 15 miles! Are you running the Boston Marathon?  Leslie, our town seems to have an abundance of drug users. A lot of them are in "Drug Court" which is an alternative to jail. So many of them have been sober for quite some time. We have several of them that come to Celebrate Recovery.  It is so disappointing when they relapse and end up back in jail. One man, Joe, was ONE WEEK from getting out of jail for good but tested positive for marijuana. He was sent back to prison just like that. He had given me a big hug at church the previous week and told me about the job and half-way house he had lined up. Choices, choices, choices......

Deez, hugs and prayers for you and Steven.  I can't imagine being so sick. None of my kids have ever been in the hospital.

I had a couple of good runs last week, ran the lake in less than an hour. Then Saturday was slower but I ran into a friend and walked the trail with her for a couple of miles.  It was good to catch up with her. They bought a home near the Twin Cities so she spends most of her time there. He still works in town and rents a condo.

Yoga class is cancelled for tonight and I already did my biking at lunch so I am off work now to go sew some quilts.  See ya later.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

Leslie - you know I don't even have to say how prevalent, sad, frustrating, and emotionally draining that is for me also. Somedays I just simply cannot believe the things that are happening right in my area and the sheer depravity of a whole segment of our population. Stuff I wish I didn't know.

Deez - I'm so so sorry to hear of your son. That's awfully scary and I'll be hoping for the very best recovery. 

Tennis starts for David today, so I'll get in a short run while he's finishing up practice. We played for a bit yesterday (yes, his first time actually playing) and truth be told, he's not half bad. He has a pretty mean serve - once he gets that whole accuracy thing down (you know, like hitting it INSIDE the square box).

Tammy

Please send all your strongest healing thoughts and prayers for Denise's son (deez4boyz). From Facebook:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Ok friends - asking for prayers and positive thoughts for my oldest son Steven. He is currently intubated and on a ventilator with extensive bilateral pneumonia and flu. Right now we don't know why a 29yr old would get this sick from pneumonia but we hope for answers and healing soon. Thank you.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

--Robin

Hard to imagine a 29 yr old being so sick - many good wishes for Denise's son

Well I ran today after taking the weekend off – by off I really mean off. I watched Martian and roasted a chicken – that was about it. The result was less pain in my upper back/shoulders and a lovely after-work run this evening.

Prime rib sounds yummy

What a wonderful NOLA race!

I love Make-a-Wish Foundation – many of my patients have had truly special dreams come true through them.

My monthly mileage is 16 – not very lose to a prime number, but I’ll take it Wink

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yes, positive thoughts to Deez and Steven.  Puts a sore knee in proper perspective--minor.

By default, you're not dealing with happy things if they've ended up in court in the first place.  But the dealing with the levels to what people can sink must be traumatic.

It seems nowhere is safe from the opiod curse--in our little town, all cops and fire trucks carry Narcan spray for overdoses.  And it's been used too many times already this year.

Since LaT has just posted, this would seem the proper spot to mention that I just received an email for the Shape up Somerville 5K.  which, blast it all, is the weekend AFTER the Marathon. (April 24th) Think there's any possibility that Amy would stay over an extra week?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody.

I have been thinking about Deez all day and praying that her son is okay.  I just saw on Facebook that she has 254 comments on her post...she, obviously have a lot of people who care.

I went 6 miles tonight.

I received a call, today, at work from somebody who said she was from our local high school and that I had received an award.  Well, of course I was skeptical and I kept waiting for the "catch".  Like, to receive the award, all I needed to do was contribute $100 to the football booster's club, or something.  So, I wasn't all that nice to her...but she continued to tell me that it was for my work with the cross country and soccer teams over the years.  Even after I hung up I was wondering how she had gotten my cell phone number and was thinking something just didn't seem right.  Anyway, when I got home, sure enough, I had a letter from the awards committee congratulating me for receiving the award for "Significant Investment in Helping the Community".  I will be receiving two ($65.00) tickets to attend a banquet on April 2nd to receive the award.  I'm still trying to figure out why I'm receiving an award for doing something I love doing.  I love those kids and they thank me over and over again.  Don't get me wrong--I am very honored to be receiving the award, but I feel a little embarrassed over the whole thing.

Okay--I should get going.  See ya.

Oh Mike, you deserve it!  Enjoy the banquet!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

You are being honored Mike, because of the fact that you not only love those kids, but you get involved, you help them be better, you invest your time and energy into them and make a difference in their lives.  It's a very well deserved award. truly very well deserved.

Tammy

Mike E congratulations and well deserved!

deez4boyz my continued wishes for your DS.

StarrRuns and La Tortuga it has been a great weekend! Mariposai and her DH just retired for the night. They have a loooong ride home tomorrow. My DW, our friends and I all take off for a much shorter trip home mid-morning tomorrow. Today we toured around. There is a lot to see in NOLA and we just saw a few highlights.

Time now for me to collapse. Better now I guess than it would have been at mile 19 yesterday. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Bushrat Runner

I love that I disappear for years, come back, and the same folks are here, running and chatting.

I hate that the flu/cold I had sucked away 10 days of my life.

I love that I am starting to pull out of it.

Ran around Lake Hood tonight...okay, walked around Lake Hood with some occasional run breaks...

At least I got out.

All sorts of stuff going on...amazing times down in NOLA...hope deez' boy pulls out of it okay...

I am on travel to get a chckride done for work, hopefully will be back home and getting my own plane in the air this weekend after swapping engines over the past few months...

evanflein

That's the way it is with true friends, Troy... come back after however long, and its like you never left! Sorry to hear you've lost days to the flu/crud, too. There's a lot of that going around.

5.5 more or less easy miles today. Overheated in what does NOT feel like February weather at all...

SteveP

(((((Deez & Steven)))))

Before moving to the Traverse City area, a few of us guys went to a juvenile jail to host recovery meetings. The success rate of the facility improved dramatically the first couple of years. After staff enthusiasm tapered, so did the improvement. It was still better. I understand wanting the escape drugs offer. What amazes me are the number of people who tell themselves, "It's not that bad" and "I can handle it". Especially those who have been clean for years.

MikeE. From what you've already shared here, I'm not surprised at the award.

First day back to work after a week off. I'm ready for the next vacation. Rest day I guess.

SteveP

I love that I disappear for years, come back, and the same folks are here, running and chatting.

I hate that the flu/cold I had sucked away 10 days of my life.

I love that I am starting to pull out of it.

Ran around Lake Hood tonight...okay, walked around Lake Hood with some occasional run breaks...

Hey Troy!  I even have been to Lake Hood!!  I sat in the RV while MrStarr went to some museum there.  I took a walk and watched the planes while finishing up the ice cream before we turned in the motorhome Smile

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich