Masters Running

Hartford Extreme Scramble RR (Read 379 times)

This is only my 3rd race this year but it was a fun one. Just the facts Maam... 5k Hartford waterfront 6pm Along the river through the woods across a grassy cricket field some pavement back to the water front awesome course Lots of runners chip timed!! beer pasta burritos fruit chips band Well organized lots of sites to take in (in shape guys, I think I need to move to Hartford) 28:35 even with hamstring and hip pain This is a series by the folks who run the Hartford marathon. I met 2 of my running club members there. We all finished around the same time which was cool. Negatives: 1:10 drive to Hartford through downtown rush hour traffic. I think if I were going to drive down to Hartford again it will be for a longer race. 5k's are just not my style. I dont get warmed up until 2 miles into it then its over. All in all a great time. I always love running with the women in my club. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

sounds like fun (except the drive to hartford) - great race!! which running club do you belong to? i run with MVS and we do a lot of local races - always so much fun to meet up with people for races!!

denise

Dees, What does MVS stand for? I have not heard of them. I run with Pioneer Valley Womens Running Club. They are very active and very social. We run Whiting Res every Sat morning and then do a fun run breakfast every first Sunday of the month. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

huskydon

Thanks for the clever report! At first I thought it was some sort of haiku. I feel the same way about 5K's. Some folks say the drive to the race shouldn't take longer than the race itself. (bit I have broken that rule before). Hope the hip & hamstring heal up completely. huskydon

Marathon Maniac #957

Laurie - I hate driving far for a race as well, but still sounds like you had fun. I like the style of your report, and great racing! As far as 5ks go, maybe you need a longer warm-up, so you feel more comfortable during the race.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I liked your RR style, too! 6 pm sounds like an odd time for a summer race - was it hot? And how 'bout some photos of those in-shape guys? Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Nice job. Brevity is after all, the soul of wit. Glad you had fun and hope that hip heals up soon for you. Spareribs
                  Carolyn, I have decided to start running with my cell phone tucked into my water bottle holder. So then I will have a camera to capture the 'sites'. Now all I have to do is get the 'sites' to slow down enough for a good pic. LOL. Laurie

Nice race, flyin. You ran a good time and had a good time. It sounds llike a nice course and a good job by the organizers. Congratulations. TomS
                      I haven't heard about this one even though I live fairly close to Hartford. I'll have to keep it in mind for next year. Sounds like a fun race. Good race time for you in spite of the pain - wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

This is only my 3rd race this year but it was a fun one. Just the facts Maam... 5k Hartford waterfront 6pm Along the river through the woods across a grassy cricket field some pavement back to the water front awesome course Lots of runners chip timed!! beer pasta burritos fruit chips band Well organized lots of sites to take in (in shape guys, I think I need to move to Hartford) 28:35 even with hamstring and hip pain This is a series by the folks who run the Hartford marathon. I met 2 of my running club members there. We all finished around the same time which was cool. Negatives: 1:10 drive to Hartford through downtown rush hour traffic. I think if I were going to drive down to Hartford again it will be for a longer race. 5k's are just not my style. I dont get warmed up until 2 miles into it then its over. All in all a great time. I always love running with the women in my club. Laurie
                        glad you did well and enjoyed that unusual race...(I did X-treme Scramble #2 this year, with DS2) Did Beth put the stairs back in the race course? Nothing like running the 5K+ distance and trying to race up and down ~40 steps to get to the top of the bridge! and then back down, of course. But the atmosphere, band, food and beer is delightful. This is a very fun race. Highly recommended. Congratulations to you!