Masters Running

And then it's Monday, 10.20.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tselbes, thanks for the good news about your DW's surgery. I hope the recovery and PT continue to go well, and that the post-surgery pain subsides quickly. Although the ride back home may be uncomfortable, I'm sure she'll be glad to get there.

Excellent racing by Aamos, Wildchild, Henry and Marj over the weekend - an amazing two-fer, Aamos! Also some great long runs as people prepare for upcoming Fall races. Better to learn those lessons in training than on race day, Mariposai. Rest up.

A racewalkng clinic in SW Florida, perhaps in Feb, when it tends to be a bit chilly here in NH? Hmmm...

Lamerunner, best of luck with your pre-race prep for the Manchester full and half marathons. We have our 5K this coming weekend, and the Seacoast Half a couple of weeks after that. I've checked with other RDs in the area, and most agree that registrations have been a bit sluggish this year, even if their goals were ultimately met. So I did a check to see how many other races there are in MA, NH and ME on the same Saturday as our 5K, and came up with 31! That doesn't include any of the races on the following day that racers may also choose instead of a Saturday race. Even with a large and active running community, there are a lot of racing options out there, and it gets more challenging for each race to stand out.

SRD for me today, which I really needed: I was exhausted (still am) after yesterday's relatively long workout and lots of yard work.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Running at the speed of life.

Man, it's difficult keeping up with you Masters...A quick shout out to Mike E. Nice job on the ultra, like the results or not. Fantastic job.

I've had terrible runs lately. Thank goodness for imodium! (runners joke)

We have had crystal clear skies lately, combined with a sliver of moon the stars just fill the dawn sky. Makes for very enjoyable running. 5.6 easy this am.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No long run for me, Jay
        See below.
        DiMaggio/Gionfrido?
        Sheesh, ribs is older that thought.
        However, it did throw me for a loop as I thought it was a permutation on CW’s Frodau until I finally gave up, . . . and went back to worrying if aamos’d turned from a Red Sox into a Giants fan. 
        Speaking of sheesh, I don’t know whether aamos’s talking about 10K or 10-mile anymore as her and her stroller friend’s 10-mile was my 10K time.
        Congratulations Series Erika
        Only up there and the conditions you deal with would relegate your eight consecutive AG series wins to the “ho-hum” category.  You’d be front page down here and Trackrat’ll probably be too once he gets back to Colorado and their uphill running community.
        I’m getting some good advice from unexpected quarters on dealing with the reality of not being able to handle the longest and hardest options I’ve never failed to run all my life as a fitness runner always seeking the most enforced exercise possible out of local races. (never had 31 to choose from though!).  Namely, prior to a marathon day at the zoo yesterday trying to keep up to 5-yo GS on his first day down here in Seattle since last Thanksgiving, we stopped by the annual morning UW Husky Dash where I’ve always run the 10K instead of the 5K.  This time, under sunny skies, I ran 0.5 miles with GS in the “Pups” Division and had the time of my life.   Thanks.
        ps - pouring down rain today portends an inside day at the aquarium. yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

I liked Trackrat's sneaking in a quote from the Talking Heads yesterday.  Bet he thought we would miss it.

So Holly sneaks off to Mexico a week early just to make sure she would miss me there. Hmmmph!

That's great news for tselbs wife, successful surgery and encouragement about early mobility. Good for her.

Recovery day for the Saint and me after yesterday's LR, 2.3 slow miles at the local park.  Lots of writing to do today including my Dallas morning news blog.  Spareribs

C-R

Hey all. Been very busy this past week with no let up in sight.

Sounds like some good racing and running.

Florida clinic in winter is a sound idea Jay.

I know what you mean about the imodium Slo. Don't leave home without it.

News here was we lost one of our cats to a freak accident last week. Garage door. He was my bud and I miss him. Was worse on DD. It gets harder each time losing one of them but they bring so much joy to us.

Have a great day everyone. Will try to read and post more this week.

MTA - forgot to mention the door is pressure sensitive but he got caught between the header and the door. He slept on the open garage door on occassions. The pressure switch does not work when pinched horizontally vs vertical.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

I liked Trackrat's sneaking in a quote from the Talking Heads yesterday.  Bet he thought we would miss it.

I didn't miss it! But I will miss him! Safe travels, Roger, and yes be sure to look up Carolyn when you're down there. I did get to say good bye on Saturday to your DW (just from the evening, I know she's not leaving yet) but couldn't find you. And yes, the big talk at our table was how the emcee's goal must have been to see how many times she could mangle everyone's name. On my way out the door, I got lots of "bye Ms Von Fleeeen!" comments.   And yes, the big goal of the series beside the AG wins is to finish in the top 5 overall (I was 4th) because the top 5 get a really nice jacket!

Tselbs, best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery. Sounds like she's in good hands.

Way to tough out a long run, Mariposai. It does always amaze me that for how long I (we) have been doing this, how often I (we) still make newbie mistakes. Good reminders though, right? And then there's the whole "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" idea (right tomwhite??). Hope it works.

Have fun with your GS, Tetsujin! Sounds like you're having as much fun as he is.

C-R, how awful to lose a kitty that way... but thank goodness it wasn't a child. Don't you have a safety door that goes back up when it feels resistance?

Hi Slo!

Good job on the long run, Twocat. Sounds like it went according to plan. Enjoy your taper. You too, Deez! You sure packed a lot into your weekend.

Ok, short on time here. I'm one of those who didn't even check in yesterday, just too busy! Got a nice 13.1 mile run in on the flats (not hilly trails like Trackrat) to wrap up a 42.5 mile week. That's probably a good place to be for the winter with no races in the future. I do miss those 50-60 mile weeks though, but just can't keep it up all year round. Our weather though, has been spectacular. No snow (so that = no new ice) and the temps in the low to mid-30's have been very nice for running... and evaporating the ice that is out there. Saturday it got up to 40, but we probably won't see that again for a while (a good thing... too warm in the winter = ice and ice is bad!). Today will be another day of low 30's. My schedule probably won't let me get out till later but I hope to run a few miles to enjoy it.

, prior to a marathon day at the zoo yesterday trying to keep up to 5-yo GS on his first day down here in Seattle since last Thanksgiving, we stopped by the annual morning UW Husky Dash where I’ve always run the 10K instead of the 5K.  This time, under sunny skies, I ran 0.5 miles with GS in the “Pups” Division and had the time of my life.   Thanks.
                ps - pouring down rain today portends an inside day at the aquarium. yippee.

The zoo and aquarium outing sound fantastic, tet! Enjoy your time with GS and try to keep up.  The half mile run sounds fun too.

I have been out of the loop since Thursday when I found out that DS and 2 grandchildren were coming for the weekend. It takes me a bit to get food ready, etc. It was fun to have them but kept me busy, that’s for sure. MrStarr and DS spent some time hunting pheasants with their dogs.  I ate way too many goodies but did run around the lake 3 times in a row last week.  I had a 6-week 100 mile challenge at the YMCA to complete, and made it just by a ½ mile.  All that for a stupid tee-shirt.

Aamos – great running for you as always, and you are my inspiration!

Trackrat – are you headed to the Masters Games? You have had a greta summah!

Erica – 8/8 1st place AG is an awesome achievement. Did they call you “Enke” or just pronounce Erica wrong?

Denise – glad you added that .2! Was that practice for the 26.2? I hear that the .2 is nothing to be dismissed lightly.

Tomwhite – don’t buy any stocks for a while either, OK? Hope your luck does turn around.

TomS – Glad that you wife is recovering staying at a nurse’s home post op sounds like an excellent idea. I’ll remember that since my DD1 is a nurse, although a post-partum one and shouldn’t be needing those services ever again.

Posai – I still am in awe of you signing up for a 50K race on a whim.  Your butterfly wings will make you fly over that trail.

Hi Robin, it was good to see you pop in here last week.

C-R - so sorry about your cat, how awful!

I am headed out in a few minutes for my annual checkup with my thyroid doctor in Sioux Falls. I hope it doesn't take too long so that I can go shopping!  I am wondering if he will notice that I have lost 45 pounds since last year.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

good morning. Had a great weekend here, weather wise. I got so much fall clean up done, bushes pruned back, leaves raked up, things pulled out of garden, etc. and today my legs are sore as i ran 10 miles! which I couldn't do right now if my life depended on it . . .

and since we are a good 20 degrees cooler with rain this week (it was sunny at low 80's this wknd!), I'm glad I had the energy and motivation to do so much yesterday.

David has Districts on Wednesday. He's so nervous about it. It's probably the most hilly and challenging course they run all year, so it'll be a tough 5K. The meet is about 100 miles away, so will be taking the day off work to head out there.

just got the call this morning that our kitchen will be dismantled on Thursday for our new countertops and with me being gone almost all day on Wednesday, that means I need to start taking everything out of cupboards today and tomorrow. . . after I find some boxes that is. it also means that now DH won't be going to Districts now, since he has to remove sink, dishwasher and stove prior to workers coming. he's doing that work himself to save us about $300.

Tammy

TSelbs and Erika, yeah a twist on the Talking Heads. Leaving after 10 great years in Alaska, going to within just a few miles from where I was born, and things like that. And more than once over the past few months I've asked myself, MY GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE? And I'll be asking that for awhile longer too.  I do think that I need to be there now--family issues that I've been able to avoid being in AK but now must face head on--plus a good career move and other important things.

StarrRuns, I'm moving back to Colorado. Will miss AK and friends like Erika Vanfleeen but looking forward to new mountain challenges!

Dave59

What the heck is one to do when they haven't posted for a short while and aren't sure what to comment on?  For one thing, if I hadn't said it already, welcome to Brian, the new guy who hasn't gotten been scared off by a talking dog, or by the awesomeness of so many who post here (not referring to myself but should you think I am that is ok with me.   )

I hope David does great at Districts.  It'll be a great learning experience for him.

I haven't run very far lately (mainly because of the trip to Florida to see the grandkids), but I have a half mary on Saturday so I went out last Friday and ran 12 miles to remind my body that runs can be longer than 3-4 miles. It went pretty good, so although I'll be back of the pack, I think it will still be an enjoyable run.  The Saturday weather up on Mackinac Island looks to be spectacular and I am anxious to get up there.  Cindy is coming with me and we'll stay 2-nights at the Mission Point Resort Hotel and have a relaxing sit-around-and-do-nothing time (other than a couple hours of running that is.)

For those who may not know, Mackinac Island is a little place, 8 miles around, accessible by boat or small plane, and there are no motorized vehicles allowed.  You can rent bikes or take horse drawn carriages.

https://thecomicninja.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/the-argyle-sweater-no-refund.gif?w=640

The air is filled with the smell of fresh fudge and horse pee.

Forgot to mention I ran 4 today.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

such good news, TomS.  really glad to hear it and also happy you got in a run--that means for true all is well.  Hope the healing continues apace.

tw, I'm dropping some caps in support, hoping it willl help with your karma....

the word for Dave today (and other days, i do believe) is droll.  exceptionally droll today.

the bear is way too cuddly to beward of, wild.  greta award!

Colorado doesn't seem like too big of a leap, or is that just my skewed perspective, tr?  The family overlay can make it all entirely different, i relaize.  Hope all goes well.

Will we get to see a photo of you modeling the jacket, Ms. VonStein, or whatever your name is there, blond runner girl with the spikes on her shoes?

i was going to say what Jay wrote, Mari.  sometimes when you have a bad run, you remember not to do all that stuff (or to do the things you didn't do) on race day.  your wings will come through for you.

deez, care to share your goals for Philly?  hoping since you will be away from work and your demanding life, i'll get a glimpse of you!

hiya Starr!   love the photos of you with the gks on FB.  You look superb, too.

my garmin hates me, I'm convinced, Kevin.  I wish I had lost it and not my regular watch.  That one, I loved (as uch as is ok and healthy to revere a mere object).  Keep on plugging.

...and love your note about the GS, tet.  the best.

so i can be a little bit of a cheese snob, twocat, as I used to buy and sell it for a gourmet food store on Boylston in Boston.  i have to say the quality of Trader Joe's does not taste cheap.

Yay!  Holly's having a good time on vacation.  

Michiganders, I am checking out the Charlevoix marathon in June.  Only thing is, seems like a heck of a place to get to by air.  Any recommendations on airports one could drive in from?

Very easy 8.5 at 9:34 pace this am.  And I haven't run twice a day since THursday, the 16th, honest.  And I am NOT running the 5K here Saturday.  Just doing a half Sunday.

grins as Monday workday winds down!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Another quick one, tonight, just to say hi and let you all know I'm still here...sorry...

I did 8.1 miles in 1:03:31.  Now, I'm having some really bad pain where the hamstring meets the butt...I think it's from the little backyard project my wife has me doing...both are a pain in the a...never mind (the project, not the wife)

Oh--slo--thanks for your comment and everybody who posted something on Facebook...I appreciate it.

Okay--I gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

I did 8.1 miles in 1:03:31.  Now, I'm having some really bad pain where the hamstring meets the butt...I think it's from the little backyard project my wife has me doing...both are a pain in the a...never mind (the project, not the wife)

MikeE, REST up. Stop running, please!  Time to heal up.

No running for me, just an hour of gym diva time with 4 of my girlfriends from work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Hey MikeE, that sounds like the same sort of injury WillRunForBeer spent the summer recovering from. Be careful!

Amy, not sure about modeling it but might post a picture. Or might not. It's nice though.

5.4 miles today that felt pretty good. Another amazingly nice October day with temps in the upper 30's and just a light breeze to remind you it is not fall! During my last meeting of the day, at 4:36 p.m., we had a good earthquake here that got our attention. First wave went through and we thought, oh hey, cool an earthquake! Then we got a good hard shake that had the big TV used for webcasts really shake a lot! Fun stuff!

Here's the link to info about that earthquake. And to give you an idea of how many we have in this state, here's a link to the recent activity (yes, most are pretty small).

SteveP

I’m getting some good advice from unexpected quarters on dealing with the reality of not being able to handle the longest and hardest options I’ve never failed to run all my life as a fitness runner always seeking the most enforced exercise possible out of local races. (never had 31 to choose from though!).  Namely, prior to a marathon day at the zoo yesterday trying to keep up to 5-yo GS on his first day down here in Seattle since last Thanksgiving, we stopped by the annual morning UW Husky Dash where I’ve always run the 10K instead of the 5K.  This time, under sunny skies, I ran 0.5 miles with GS in the “Pups” Division and had the time of my life.   Thanks.

You can not always measure a good time with a stopwatch.

Sorry about your cat C-R. 

Have fun on the Island Dave59. I miss that race.

Michiganders, I am checking out the Charlevoix marathon in June.  Only thing is, seems like a heck of a place to get to by air.  Any recommendations on airports one could drive in from?

I've been leaving out of Flint lately. There is Grand Rapids I've not been to. If you go into Traverse, I could probably leave you my truck until I got out of work. Though it's a two hour drive to Charlevoix, we have room here. If the dog will share any of his furniture.

I don't think I would like earth quakes so much.

We had a new hire today. I've lost track of how many people I've trained this last year.

SteveP