Masters Running

What do you think about during your LR? (Read 350 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I THINK ABOUT PACING,WORKING THE NEXT HILL,STAYING RELAXED.THINK ABOUT RUNNING AND THE MILES WILL MELT AWAY. GOOD LUCK.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

What to think about during a race is completely different for me than during a solo long run. In a race, there is so much going on around you and on the course that it has never been an issue. If you're back in the main pack like most of us, there are even people around that you can briefly chat with or at least listen to. And if you choose to run in a pace group, it can be quite lively. A long solo run, however, can be mentally tortuous, and I always listen to my MP3 player -- usually vocal podcasts that give me more to listen to and think about than music (there are a ton of free MP3 podcasts available through iTunes). Another trick of mine is to mentally compose the post that I am going to make for this or another forum about what is going on as I run. I usually end up posting about 5% of these amazing compositions (luckily for you all).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Looks like we are all very busy thinkers.... My thought during a race are much different that during a weekly LR.... And it depends on the race... If I have a major time goal and go into a deep concentration..and think about form....pace...etc....aware of my surroundings but not as involved as I would be in a race my my goals are not time related...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

sometimes the quiet solitude of a long run seems conducive to reflective reciting of favorite poems or something or, sometimes, trying to memorize new ones but something's always going on to distract and have to start over again never getting to the end.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)