Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 08/19 (Read 246 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I think you could be a good pacer, how many miles would he want you to pace him?

First day of classes. Time to go scare the kiddies. Evil

Ex runner

From Mile 64 forward or Mile 73 forward.  If it was a less strenuous course, I might've considered it, but there's over 20,000 feet of elevation gain and  and 20,000 of loss, and it would require getting him over a HUGE frigging climb of about 4000+ feet, most likely in the dark.  Um, thanks, but no thanks.

Rest day for me.  No new schedule, but am suppose to run no more than 30 miles and am suppose to concentrate on recovery early in the week.  Phone conference schedule with Coach Gary Friday at 8:00 p.m.  Hopefully, it'll mean a new schedule by the end of the weekend.

Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

From Mile 64 forward or Mile 73 forward.  If it was a less strenuous course, I might've considered it, but there's over 20,000 feet of elevation gain and  and 20,000 of loss, and it would require getting him over a HUGE frigging climb of about 4000+ feet, most likely in the dark.  Um, thanks, but no thanks.

Twenty. Thousand. Shocked  That in the dark business is a deal-killer for me as well, doing an all-nighter is The reason I will never do a 100-miler.

Kiddies scared successfully. Lately we've been having lots of people taking the pre-nursing Biology just to satisfy their General Ed science requirement, and a lot of them end up crashing and burning. Hopefully they'll either drop or roll up their sleeves and get it right.

Ex runner

Kiddies scared successfully.

Thou art the perfect teacher, then. Big grin

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That's only 27 miles--I thought you like challanges.  Joking

Hi all, btw.  back into semi lurking mode.  Somewaht attributable to the semi-running mode i find myself in once again.

Did want to mention that i find the fact that you even think about running in 100+ kmakes me sweat and curl up in a little ball.  This may explain my lack of running ambition this summer.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey Stumpy!  Semi-running is better than no running. Do it when you can and when it's fun. Don't think it should become an obligation or a chore. 

Ah, Fresno summers. The trick is to stay out of the sun. Tonight's run, 103 at the start, 97 upon my return, not a big deal. But with the sun on me, even 80 or so is really really tough. BTW nice thing about the evening runs is that it gets cooler rather than hotter as you go. 

Oh, and MEB!!!

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Our heat wave broke, last triple digit day was last week then had a front come through and cooled us into the 50's the night of the 102 degree day. No  rain has fallen since early July. Maybe one more 100 degree day this week but fallish feel at night with lows in the 50'sand highs for the most part in the low 90's now so awesome run weather in the early mornings.

Still averaging above 20 mpw for the last month or so with 28 in the last 7 days. Othopedically pretty healthy now. Doing some minor speed work one run per week. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. ;-) I'm still slow.

Ev anxiously awaiting the video release, looks like you are enjoying your summer despite the weather.

Leslie that pacing sounds like a sufferfest for sure, hope the new schedule is to your liking.

Stump thanks for stopping in.

Arla loved the pic in the Salinas valley, sounds like a cool race. We have a friend that ranches and farms there. Did you try my back thing? Yuk School already....

Hi Joe what fall races do you have on the schedule?

Had a nice little checkin typed up in here last week and our carpy satelite internet locked up on me and I lost it.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi, Jim and Stumpy!  It's great to hear from you two.

Jim - Happy to see you're still able to get some miles in.  What a temp swing you are having between day and night!

Stumpy - Like Arla said, a little bit of running is better than no running as we are suppose to enjoy it and not feel like it's a chore.

Fresno = Hot.  That's all there is to it.

I wasn't particularly motivated to get up this a.m., but was out the door by 5:00 for an EZ 3 miles, followed by an hour of core/strength training whilst watching "Mona Lisa Smiles."  I'd forgotten how good that movie is.  And apparently my arms are still sore from Saturday's chopping and pruning fest as they are especially cranky at the moment.

Now I'm watching our office parakeet to see if he'll eat the treat of hard boiled egg yolk mixed with his carrots.  He's sitting on the treat bowl

'cause I hung his mirror behind it, but so far no luck.  He seems off his apples and pears, so I've been trying to introduce new things.  He's stubborn, but from what I've read on the budgie forums, it's par for the course.

He sure is a happy little camper, and there's been more than a few times clients have wandered back into our office looking for him when he's in full happy mode, i.e., screeching, chirping, and generally  making as much noise as possible.  Usually when there's three or so of us in the office talking.  He feels like he has to out-volume everybody.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

7 miles this a.m. with 6 x 100m strides toward the end.  My legs were pooped afterward.  I'm surprised at how tired my legs still feel, but I did do a decent amount of strength training yesterday.   Yeah, that'll be my excuse for now.

I think Cisco likes the egg/carrot mixture.  Am trying cantaloup today.  (The word "cantaloup" looks weird.)

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - hope you're done with the worst of the summer weather. That's some pretty nice mileage there, definitely respectable. What's your speed workout look like? I always seem to get a lot of bang for the buck out of tempo runs of up to 10 min at a pop, even just two of those now and then does a lot. Maybe it's mostly mental, or just getting more accustomed to what running faster feels like. Tried the back thing but have not kept at it, still getting sloooowwly better.

Leslie - you're favorite, strides! Six of 'em sounds like a drag. Other things Cisco might like (just thinking stuff I've tried recently): grapes, red bell pepper,figs (I have an abundance of these three things in the yard), also banana, cashews (my birds fall all over themselves for a cashew), a little peanut butter. One of my parrots is crazy for cheese, so she gets a little once in a while (she's the one who tends to get fat).

Another hot 6 last night. Tried to get up at 4:30 to do 10 this am, just didn't happen, will have to try again tonight. No end in sight for the heat.

Ex runner

I was wondering about peanut butter.  Do you mash up the cashews?  He does like banana, but will only eat a nibble here and there when offered.  He has been picking at the cantaloupe today, and I also tried some mashed up peach in his treat bowl.  We've tried grapes, but I don't think he ate any.  I just got some more yesterday, so we'll give it another try.

I has a favorite bell that I didn't have secured very well, and over the weekend it came loose at some point and fell to the bottom of the cage.  Boy howdy was he a happy camper when we got it hung back up.  His best friend was back!

We're having a blast with the little guy.  He's made the office much cheerier.  And he's getting back to being more tolerant of me, which is nice.  Maybe he's finally realized that I'm the one who brings him all his treats.  Bribery.  Ya gotta do it sometimes.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thought some of you might enjoy this video.   A really wonderful message.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey all,

Been away, but now I'm back. Took a scheduled 7 day running hiatus as we took a trip to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Left the phone and laptop at home and just unplugged. Marta has family down there to visit and we took in a lot of history concerning Columbus' journey's and stuff like that. Very interesting.

I was lucky enough to catch a nasty ass cold on the way home so overall, about 10 days of no running ,right in the middle of my NYC training plan. Time to make it up though. Took a little mile test run last night. Chest congestion but otherwise good to go.

Plenty of issues at work to deal with now that I'm back, but I suppose that's good.

Later gators

Welcome back from what sounds like a nice vacation, Joe.  (Well, except for the cold.)

3 miles this a.m., followed by about 50 min of core/strength training whilst watching "Once."  Then it was off to the fair to watch our boss' daughter show her sheep for the first time.  I hadn't seen that since I was a kid and my brother was in 4-H.  It was fun!  She and her cousin were in the novice class, which had about 20 kids.  Rachael was in the bottom 10, and Garrett ended up taking first place in showmanship.  Needless to say, when she came to sit with mom, there were a few tears shed.  I think partly 'cause she didn't place, but also because her younger cousin got first.  It's okay, though.  She's young, this was her first time, and she'll be back.

The judge was really good and took his task seriously.  He judges at fairs all around the state.  He took a lot of time, talked to the kids, gave great constructive criticism, told them what they did right and how they could improve.  He said in all the judging he's done so far this year, the kids in this county were some of the best he'd seen, including the novices.  Re Garrett - the family my boss married into comes from a long, long line of ranchers.  The Russes were some of the first ranchers in Humboldt County.  The judge, not knowing who Garrett is, said Garrett was a natural livestock showman.  Um, we all looked at one another and said, "It's in the genes." Smile

So now we gotta get back to task and work ~

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - sounds like a great trip, and hey at least your cold came at the end of the trip! NYC is a long way off, surely a break now won't make a dent in your training, heck it might even help.

Leslie - that's neat about the kids. And remember that's a tiny little birdie you're talking about, so even a few nibbles of something is a lot for him! And no, I don't mash up the cashews, I just give them whole (to the amazon) or in halves (for the jardine's). For a budgie probably a small chunk would be good.

Another one I thought of was mashed yams. I make them in the fall for myself (with a little butter and brown sugar) and the birds absolutely love it! I give it to them warmed, that might be part of it. In fact, they love anything warm: oatmeal, mashed potatoes, etc. Also, if you can, put his cage outside in the daylight from time to time, like us birds make vit. D when they get some sun.

Ex runner