Masters Running

Injury update part II (Read 264 times)

umwb

Hello everyone! I went to the orthopedic surgeon today, Who just happens to be a runner!! Big grin Big grin His first question to me after looking at my MRI was how many miles a week do you average? I told him I was just coming back from a long layoff due to a previous injury, but before the layoff I was running 25-30 miles per week and at the time of this injury I was averaging about 15 miles per week. He said my knee had a slight tear in the miniscus, but that it wasnt bad. and that overall my knee was in good shape, with some of the minor wear and tear he would expect to see in a runners knee. Smile Smile. I asked him why I was still unable to extend it fully he said it was just a little bit of fluid in there that should clear up in a couple of weeks. He did say that my knee cap appeared to be slightly off center, which he said was common in runners. Confused His diagnosis? 1 month of P.T to strenghthen my knee and to help realign my knee cap. and to go ahead and run a bit whenever I felt ready. Smile Smile I am going to err on the side of caution though and give the P.T a couple of weeks to work its magic before I try running on it. So... Good news overall Big grin Smile Big grin I am very excited!!!!
    When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !
      Very good news! And if your PT is anything like the one I went to, boy, you in for some butt whoopin'! Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nope, ya need to go "cold Turkey" like me....3 months off period. You man or mouse? Hey, hang in there and hope for the best for ya....as there is light at the end of the beaver trail...huh LOL, where did THAT come from. Just follow the doc's orders as I didn't..but your's sounds more reasonable. Recovering running addict TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I think this sounds encouraging, umwb. It's nice your doctor is a runner and understands people like us. Take advantage of the PT and "cut back" time to come back stong when you're recovered. TomS
          umwb

Nope, ya need to go "cold Turkey" like me....3 months off period. You man or mouse?
            Photobucket
            When I'm not running I'm on my Triumph Rocket 3 !

Marathon Maniac #3309

Photobucket
              Big grin Good luck to ya, really TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

I'm happy to read this update! good luck on the rehab and getting back to the addiction Wink

Tammy

Renee the dog

I was afraid to read this...so I didn't click when I first saw it. Glad I finally did click! GREAT NEWS!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good news!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Very good news. Here is wishing you a fast recovery and happy running for many more years to come.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

great news- sounds similar to my experience. try biking and/or swimming if you don't want to run