Masters Running

Training Tuesday - 9/30/2014 (Read 36 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

4 miles.
    Realizing that the six mile loop around Bridle Trails Park wasn’t so bad after all when it’s not trying to run in the dark to midnight in the annual January Bridle Trails 50K through slop, mud and horse poop in the pouring rain and evening sleet I did eight years ago and never went back until this weekend’s delightful summer version, I celebrated the end of the month with a 4 mile training run under clearing skies.
    Glad the VT’ers seemed to have good weather for the running.
    sorry the returning was such a challenge.
    maybe come west for the next ultra-reunion.
    <<<(WhiteRiver50/WhiteRiver50)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Bridle Trails Park wasn’t so bad after all when it’s not trying to run in the dark to midnight in the annual January Bridle Trails 50K through slop, mud and horse poop in the pouring rain and evening sleet 

Now THAT would be a tough run!

No run for me today.  Got in too late and just wanted to use that time for a little bit more sleep.

Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Just a reminder that today's the end of the month - here's a handy table of prime numbers so you can plan your run!  Sorry this is late and many of you have already run, but you could always go out again this afternoon/evening!     I'm planning to jog 3.8 miles this afternoon to end on a prime.  It might be a little slow and creaky, although my legs don't feel too bad, considering.

2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67
        71 73 79 83 89 97 101 103 107 109 113 127 131 137 139 149 151 157 163
        167 173 179 181 191 193 197 199 211 223 227 229 233 239 241 251 257 263 269
        271 277 281 283 293 307 311 313 317 331 337 347 349 353 359 367 373 379 383

I had such a good time in Vermont.  Missing the RA masters, and looking forward to the next meetup!   I guess we should work on our RR!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

I can't figure out why you are tired and need extra sleep Holly, after ONLY doing the 50K!

Hey, many thanks to all of you for the kind words about the Saint's running.

I have written before that I have her now doing some light interval work to augment her miles and racing, adding a half mile to our workout each week.  So as of today we are up to 4 x 1/2 mile, with a half mile jog rest in between.  Our target is between 9 and 9:15 pace, which seems easy for her.  Her 5 mile time was at 9:25's so this is a  pretty challenging workout for her.  Total miles today were 5.7.

Over the next two weeks we will go to 5 and then 6 of these, and then I will cut us back to 4 of them as I decrease the jog rest interval to 1/4 mile and then work us up to 6 of them, which is where we will stay.  I'm encouraged to see her do this work, although she does take off a bit too fast and is not yet good at knowing how fast she is going. She will get there I'm sure.   Spareribs

Dave59

I forgot to change my alarm so it went off at 4:15 because that's when I get up for my Tuesday hill workout. I reset it for 5:30 and went back to sleep.  Ran 3 miles this morning at 9:30.

I got up, took care of Riley so my daughter (who had been up since 4 could get some breakfast), then I had breakfast, got Annabelle up and made her some pancakes, helped her get dressed and took her to school.  Then I worked a little, ran, cleaned up the breakfast dishes, shower, shave, and back to work.  This grandpa stuff along with a job keeps me busy from 6am to 9pm.  Kind of fun though.

Schools are off on Friday so I took the day off work. Should be a fun 3 day weekend with Annabelle.

Dave59

Now THAT would be a tough run!

No run for me today.  Got in too late and just wanted to use that time for a little bit more sleep.

Happy Tuesday!

Glad you at least made it back and didn't have to spend the night in the airport or hotel.

Dave59

Just a reminder that today's the end of the month - here's a handy table of prime numbers so you can plan your run!  Sorry this is late and many of you have already run, but you could always go out again this afternoon/evening!     I'm planning to jog 3.8 miles this afternoon to end on a prime.  It might be a little slow and creaky, although my legs don't feel too bad, considering.

2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67
                71 73 79 83 89 97 101 103 107 109 113 127 131 137 139 149 151 157 163
                167 173 179 181 191 193 197 199 211 223 227 229 233 239 241 251 257 263 269
                271 277 281 283 293 307 311 313 317 331 337 347 349 353 359 367 373 379 383

I had such a good time in Vermont.  Missing the RA masters, and looking forward to the next meetup!   I guess we should work on our RR!

Wish I would have thought of this earlier. I finished at 128 miles. I could have run 1 less or 3 more and had a prime number this month,

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Holly, left about 4 hours earlier than me and we got home around the same time.  4 hours of sleep is not enough.  It is always a big letdown after a great weekend like I just had...BUT...I have Tammy coming into town to look forward to!

Oh...wild...you should tell everybody how you almost got the three of us thrown in jail at the airport...

TammyinGP

Tet starting the daily with a "Training Tuesday" . . . is this some new April Fools Day celebration I haven't heard of?

will get in a short run after work. I wouldn't want to exceed Tet's training run, so will keep it around 3.  Off work tomorrow and then leave at the buttcrackofdawn on Thursday. I guess I better pull up weather in MN and see what I'm in for.  Will be seeing Mike and family on Thursday. Mike is probably approaching the RA record for most meetups and RA meetings isn't he?

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Oh...wild...you should tell everybody how you almost got the three of us thrown in jail at the airport...

Okay -- there's apparently some stoopid  law in the Boston airport that you can't drink beer outside a bar...    We had  some beers left in the fridge when we were packing up to leave, so we brought them along to have before our flights.  Holly got checked in because her flight was earliest, and then we were sitting there minding our own business and drinking our beer when a cop came and told us we'd have to toss the beers because it wasn't allowed.  Of course the fact that we were all wearing matching VT50 tee shirts might have made us look subversive or something...  dorky, at the very least.   So I tried to finish my beer as I walked toward the trash can...  the cop wasn't too happy with me. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Okay -- there's apparently some stoopid  law in the Boston airport that you can't drink beer outside a bar...    We had  some beers left in the fridge when we were packing up to leave, so we brought them along to have before our flights.  Holly got checked in because her flight was earliest, and then we were sitting there minding our own business and drinking our beer when a cop came and told us we'd have to toss the beers because it wasn't allowed.  Of course the fact that we were all wearing matching VT50 tee shirts might have made us look subversive or something...  dorky, at the very least.   So I tried to finish my beer as I walked toward the trash can...  the cop wasn't too happy with me. 

Puritan ethics are still strong around here.  And the airport bars can't gouge you for beers if you bring your own

5.1 miles for me this morning.  I think about 99% humidity, as it wasn't EXACTLY raining.  Managed to get faster as I went again.  Which is not as hard as it sounds, considering how slowly I seem to start   I think that may give me 120 miles for the month, but not sure until I download tonight.

Dave--nice that you can travel and still integrate work and GK duty

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Too much fun, VT Rnrs; we are all Jealous!--> just picked this face 'cuz it's green but it's not the "dead" one.

And there's snow at Independence Pass near Aspen; some FL friends are traveling there at present.  Sorry you ran into rain and cold, wild, and that Holly had to hang out at the airport.  At least y'all have greta memories!  (Now get some sleeps!)

Sounds as if you're getting the GP gig down like a pro, Dave.   Enjoy!  It's so nice to imagine you there, taking care of your ladies.  They are lucky princesses, to have you there treating them so royally.

Keep plugging there, Mr. Stumpy.   Now you have my secret; start slow!!

Mike is our soical butterfly; Mari will have to lend him some of her wings, I think.

Did my same 8 mile course this am that I ran yesterday am, but with just a bit more alacrity; 8:45 pace today over 9:09 yesterday.

And we're rounding the curve heading toward hump day.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

Puritan ethics are still strong around here.  And the airport bars can't gouge you for beers if you bring your own

We're so used to the puritan ethics that we're surprised when we went to new orleans are were given plastic glasses to finish our drinks outside the bar.  then we were taking a bottle of wine from DD's house in Ohio to our hotel and were told 'don't worry if the bottle's open and in the front seat'.  state's rights

ran just under 5 before the rain started and altho we did nothing but spectate, didn't get home until 5 on monday, because we were at a 65+ runner luncheon, where the 70 yo who ran the 50K and got 1/1 was there and we didn't even know it at the time.

marj

Wild!!

I think there should be a law that says anyone that has recently run a 50 mile trail run can drink their own beer anyplace, anytime.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

then we were taking a bottle of wine from DD's house in Ohio to our hotel and were told 'don't worry if the bottle's open and in the front seat'.  state's rights

Okay, you have totally been misguided here.  There is an open container law in Ohio that forbids any previously opened bottles of alcohol from being carried in a vehicle where drivers or passengers have access. The bottles must be carried in the trunk of the car. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."