Masters Running

Happy Monday 4.28.14 (Read 41 times)

New skirt in town

Happy Monday AM!  I'm home from Disney and recovering from Boston well.  The bruising on my ankle is almost gone, but it still swells like crazy at the end of the day. I ran 3 slow miles this morning, though, and felt good.  Now I'm writing the letters of the alphabet with my foot...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Tramps

Glad to of the progress Robin.

I've done a bit of a "two steps forward, one step back" as my foot's been bothering me again.  I immediately stopped running and gave it a few days off.  I went for a trial 3-miler this morning.  Jury's still out.

Have a great week.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' Robin, Tramps, and the rest of this friends group!

Welcome back, Robin. I can't believe you're running on that ankle, as bad as it looked just a week ago. Alphabet foot is probably good healing work.

Take it easy with your foot too, Tramps.

I've said it before: I'd love to get all of you into a room together for a party/talk, but especially Tet, TomW, Steve, Mike, and Mustang Sally (where has she gone?) for all of your unique perspectives on life and the world, and your creative uses of language.

Congrats on staying upright on the bike yesterday, TomW.

Sounds like the races on Sunday were as much fun as yours on Saturday, Nancy. Congrats to EasyPacer on his AG win and huge PR!

Were you contemplating the Earth Rock Run marathon, Deeze? If so, it may not be so bad that you missed it - 2 laps around a tough course. I have confidence that you'll still attain Maniacdom.

The OKC Half was on the news last night, Pfriese. It was part of the story about the horrible weather pattern currently over the midwest and south east. Given the delay and H&H, you did quite well!

Those sure are a couple of cuties, Mike! Spoil 'em well!

How was Columbus and the convention, Holly?

Great Beatles take-off for Deeze, Tet!

Starr, isn't it amazing how difficult it is to run past your house to extend a workout? There is always a huge temptation to call it a day right there. So good for you for going the extra distance. Yep, I'll bet there is a story to go with what you found...

I'm glad your legs are coming back, CNY.

You sure have interesting nicknames for the kids, Mike. Sounds like Weiner was a winner yesterday.

Sounds like you had a gorgeous, early

12-miler yesterday, Aamos!

I'm glad no one got dizzy on the reverse rotations on the psycho path yesterday, Steve.

I'm sorry you had such a difficult day yesterday, Twocat. Good luck with your final taper this week.

Excellent mileage for the week/month, Evanflein!

So, I got to N. Andover, MA for the half just a little before the marathon (two laps on the same course) started at 8am - the half started at 9. It was a little cool (around 40) with an intermittent drizzle. After my warm-up, I decided to go with some very lightweight tights, a l/s shirt and my cap. The start corral was narrow (about 4, maybe 5 people across), and I lined up more than half-way back. The first 1/2-3/4 mile was uphill, and I fought my usual tendency to go out too fast there. At my recent racewalking clinics, I had told our newbies that a lot of the difference between their speed and mine had more to do with turnover rate than anything else. So once I settled into a good pace, I stayed focused on keeping my turnover rate high. Lots of runners (no walking div. here) passed me in the first couple of miles, but by about mile 4, I was already starting to reel some of them back in. There was one woman who just didn't want me to pass her, so she'd speed up every time I came up on her shoulder. I had confidence I'd outlast her, so I stayed patient, and blew by her at a water stop about a mile and a half later. There were a lot of hills on the course and, as I had feared, some of the steeper downhills created some foot pain. On one downhill, despite my desire to take advantage of it for a bit more speed, I just had to back off a bit on the steepest part because my foot was hurting too much. Fortunately, it was OK except for on those downhills. I kept picking a few runners off along the way, especially on the moderate uphills where I was able to maintain pace better than they could. The steepest uphill was early in mile 12, and I was too muscle-tired at that point to be able to power up it. So I backed off quite a bit till I got near the crest and could pick it up again. That was, by far, my slowest mile of the race (it was over 12 min, where as 3 other miles were just over 11, and the other 9 were in the 10s). I finished in 2:24:50, which was my best finish since 2012 (on an easier course). I didn't stay around to see my results or for the award ceremony (without a walker div., there was no point). So I was very surprised, when I saw the results online that I had won my AG. Of course, I was the only one in the AG, so how could I miss?    But I was very please to see that I finished in the top 38% of all finishers, which rarely happens in a running race. I was pretty achy for the rest of the day, but am feeling a lot better this morning, and will probably be back on the roads tomorrow.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Excellent race, Jay.  Hope you get some good swag for your AG.  Although I will say that the 12 mile hill serves you right for putting one in YOUR half at about the same point. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Great week and month EK.

Paul, good job at OKC. Everyone was talking about the conditions.  Too bad.

And again, congrats to Mariposai.

Karin and Jay: regarding your foot problems and writing the alphabet with your toes, did you know of a great American novel that was written that way?  "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was written by Harriet Beecher's toe.  You can look it up.

The picture that Mariposai tried to post yesterday is in my Dallas Morning News column today, along with a mention of Aamos and her great Boston win:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/i-run-therefore-im-invincible.html/

But enough about everyone else!  Time to talk about me!  Got a bit over 3 miles in at the park and just to air it out as I won't be running for a while, I did 4 x 1/4 mile with the plan to run hard and do them at 7 minute pace. So the first one was 1:44 and I was happy with that, but then I did the next 3 at UNDER 1:30's, or sub 6 pace!  I haven't run that fast since before my heart surgery.  What a great way to call it a day.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Great racing!  And I had a great (if exhausting) weekend chaperoning our group of kids through their busy activities.  It was very cool to be able to have the conference inside the State House, although finding the various rooms where the breakout sessions was a bit challenging in the sprawling maze of a building.

Ribs - very fast!

6.3 miles for me this morning just before the rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Jay!  Wonderful report and YIPPEE!  Top 38% of finishers and you walked it; that is worth remarking on, so here I am, you are REMARKABLE!  Yes, I am cheering loudly!  Imagine if you were 100%.  Hope the foot issue clears up real real soon.   (and same for you, Robin.....you reminded me that letter writing thing with your foot/toes is a good sitting at the desk kind of exercise to do even when you aren't hurt. Wink

Thanks, too,  for tipping us to Jeff Savage.  Really informative website, and the book DH has is one of the few Jeff lists as recommended, so that tells me they are on the same page (heh heh).

Ribs, so that was most excellent running!  Now what can we do to distract you today?  Hmmm, maybe our man tet has a conundrum, a verbal Rubik's cube so to speak, that he might toss out here for you to chew upon (sorry for dat dere preposition, Erika) and no, Tag, no chewing on the puzzle for you!

and tet....youknow I love you too.  Now when are you going to invite me out to the grand PNW to run another marathon there?  It's been far too long, she said, tapping her foot....

Holly, I took a little break from FB this weekend, but when I went back, your photos from the Ohio statehouse were most appreciated.  I love to visit statehouses (c'mon, I was a history major and all that law stuff after).  There's a wooden carving of a codfish (big, as in about my size!)   hanging over the MA house of rep.  HOnest!

OK deez, keep us posted.  Stumpy, you committed to Richmond or would you consider Philly (great food and art museums)?

Practicing my slow pace this morning  for the 50K (that's my story this am and I'm sticking with it....the large amount of cold cereal [a guilty pleasure, since I eat oatmeal in the am] I ate last night for bedtime snack has nothing to do with it, I swear )....6 miles at a 10:10 pace.

And Monday morning is officially gone on the east coast and the central time zone is bidding it adieu......

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

pfriese

The picture that Mariposai tried to post yesterday is in my Dallas Morning News column today, along with a mention of Aamos and her great Boston win:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/i-run-therefore-im-invincible.html/

But enough about everyone else!  Time to talk about me!  Got a bit over 3 miles in at the park and just to air it out as I won't be running for a while, I did 4 x 1/4 mile with the plan to run hard and do them at 7 minute pace. So the first one was 1:44 and I was happy with that, but then I did the next 3 at UNDER 1:30's, or sub 6 pace!  I haven't run that fast since before my heart surgery.  What a great way to call it a day.  Spareribs

I very much enjoyed your DMN article. I knew you were going in for surgery but had missed what it was all about. Hoping for the best possible outcome. Back to the article though, since I'm married to a doctor and work in a health related field, I have had all of the recommended procedures done at their required times & intervals. Trust Ribs on this, take care of your body, if not for yourself at least for your families. Ribs, thanks again for writing & sharing this article.

Paul

mta: very nice speed on your run today, too.

mari, congrats on the sucdessful race, running it as well as putting it on.  Great that your husband got 1st in AG.  tomw, welcome back from your vacation.  rhoon, I'm sorry to hear you were sick at the end of your time away and upon coming home.  I hope you are improving.  pfries, nice half in Oklahoma City.  Mike, cute grandbabies.  Jay, speedy half with 1st in AG and smoking a lot of runners (I would have been one of them had I been there).

Nice long runs for Aamos, wild, Twocat, and evan.  Good job on the speedwork for ribs (and it was speedy speedwork).

This morning, it was about 40° and it was windy.  I did 6 miles at an 11:14 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK deez, keep us posted.  Stumpy, you committed to Richmond or would you consider Philly (great food and art museums)?

Amy--Pretty sure it will be Richmond or Bust.  DW's cousin and wife live there, so she gets a benefit out of the trip, too.  Not to mention free lodging .  I suppose actually registering would help reduce the "Bust" possibilities.  BTW I did notice that Richmond has a group registration option that gets you a $5 rebate if you get several people to join.  (have to look up the details again)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I'm going to lay low and not run for a bit.  (Haven't run since last Tuesday.)  Naturally, since I decided to confirm my registration to the Chicago Marathon, the next day I got sidelined with a Hamstring strain.  No big deal and I'll heal up soon enough.  But at my age I need to watch this little aches and pains and treat them with the respect they deserve.  Don't want this to become a big deal.

T-minus 10 work days and counting till I retire.  Well, "mostly retire" as I'm going to do a little, limited contract work remotely at least for the rest of this year.  We're packing up our stuff and getting ready to head north.  As one chapter closes, another opens.

Spareribs, best of luck tomorrow.  We know you'll come through this with flying colors and a cheery, positive attitude like you always do.

Speaking of cheery attitudes, Amy came within a little over a minute of WINNING her AG at Boston.  I know where my money's gonna ride next year.

And even more cheery outlooks, nice job to Butterfly Lady on the wonderful race you put on and ran.  You are amazing.

Come to think of it, most of y'all are pretty cheery.  Must go along with this running thing we all do.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

Come to think of it, most of y'all are pretty cheery.  Must go along with this running thing we all do.

Bill

I've often thought that  ultra runners must all be optimists - I can't imagine a pessimist signing up for a 50k (or longer) race!  The same is probably true for marathons, but I'm not sure about the shorter distances.  In any case, I guess those endorphins keep us all cheerful!

Congrats on the AG win, Jay!

Amy, my money is on you for that 50k this weekend!

I guess our howling winds from yesterday moved east and spawned tornadoes, so I'll stop complaining.  Luckily we don't get tornadoes here in the mountains.  It's still windy today, but not as bad, so I'm waiting for it to get above freezing and I'll head out for a run.

Happy trails, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now when are you going to invite me out to the grand PNW to run another marathon there?  It's been far too long, she said, tapping her foot....

Thanks amy.
                            No particular reason except just because he’s the kind of gentleman

we all wish we could be like too but let me find out when divechief is out-of-town again

I"m going to take the day off tomorrow as a show of support for the beloved ancient one.

whoops, I mean day off running, not off inane, . . I mean erudite postings.

ps byllie - thanks for the amy time update. Wise recovery plan

sorry to hear you're getting older too. oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

I've often thought that  ultra runners must all be optimists - I can't imagine a pessimist signing up for a 50k (or longer) race!  The same is probably true for marathons, but I'm not sure about the shorter distances.  In any case, I guess those endorphins keep us all cheerful!

Wrong, Carolyn. I can no longer run longer races but I' m thankful (and optimistic ) that I'm able to run 5K's and 10K's or just run at all.

wildchild

Carolyn

I didn't mean to imply that shorter distance runners are never optimists - most probably are, but some might not be.  I was just thinking that there are probably NO 100 mile runners who are pessimists!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.