Masters Running

Yikes! I got laid off! (Read 449 times)

Carolyn, Let me add my groans and condolences and more! I'm just a criminal defense attorney, but if you want me to troll around for good employment lawyers over in Denver, just say the word. If there's anything I can do--really, let me know. Even if it is just to meet up for a run sometime soon--I have a bunch of Colorado runs pencilled in on my calendar. We could cruise along and you could vent, whatever. Sad Surprised Angry Amy
    Masters 2000 miles
      Just catching up....I am so sorry to hear this. While I am relieved to know that you'll be okay financially, this can't be easy and especially when it's sudden. Hang tough and know that we are all here and we've got your back. Karin
        Hopefully I can use this as an opportunity to find something new and different.
        Wildchild, I'm sorry. Yes, you're right about this being an opportunity. And because you've already recognized this, I feel great things are in store for you. Good luck!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Wildchild - this really does suck. You have such a good attitude though and luckily it will not be a financial hardship. I am sure you will do well no matter what you choose to do. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Thank you all so much for your support! It means a lot to me. It's sad how common this has become - seems like a lot of you have been through it before. I told our HR person today that the other employees I've told about being laid off are worried and think they may be next, and they're starting to look elsewhere. She said she wanted to reassure them, but I pointed out that she couldn't promise them their jobs are secure. Also, as I start to contact my friends in the industry to look for work, the word will get out that my current company isn't doing well, which won't be good for them either. Too bad I don't care. Evil grin I did get a copy of the agreement I signed 18 years ago, and it had no mention of non-compete. The HR lady said that's not what they have people sign now, but again, I don't really care. The client I'm hoping to steal called today and needs me to visit their plant and go with them to a meeting with their state regulators next week. I told them I'm being laid off at the end of the month, but I'd be happy to go next week. So that's looking promising. I'll get to spend 3 days with them and I'm sure I can bring up future consulting. I do have to be careful as I'll still be on the company payroll next week. This is not the same client as the one with the 6 month job where I'm being replaced by junior guy. Anyway, thanks for your kind words and support. I'll keep you posted.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

GreenMan

Sounds like your former employer may not have thought this through very well. Good Luck, sounds like you're going to end up better off in the end. You have strong inner resources judging by your attitude. Enjoy the adventure. jjj
              Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
              btb1490

wildchild, I'm saddened that you have to deal with this. Cry Sparerib's post about your character the other day pretty much sums things up. This is your company's loss, and I have no doubt you will come out of this better off than you were.
                  Carolyn, I've read your story with a mix of sadness and excitement. Sadness that this represents much of corporate America today, and excitement for you that YOU will be having a new adventure. It's amazing how when people find out you are looking, opportunities emerge that you never knew existed. Don't blame you for being angry, but hope that you will also enjoy the new world of possibilities that awaits you!
                  Progress Trumps Pefection
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carol's right - when architects and engineers heard that we were starting a new firm, they went out of their way to send business our way. Companies that were overloaded with work called us to help out. That's our favorite kind of client - swamped engineers who understand the industry and pay us on time!
                      Sorry to hear about your situation, wildchild, but I'm sure that you will find another opportunity soon. I got a bit of a taste of this when I was being very careful about telling my employer that I was planning to retire, thinking they'd be upset at losing someone from one of their top technical positions. It was more like they can't wait to get me out the door, as all they see is the $$$ freed up in their budget from eliminating one of their higher-paid employees. My co-workers will probably miss me since they'll have to take up the load, but apparently the company management won't.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"