Masters Running

Welcome March, the Tuesday daily (Read 40 times)

King of PhotoShop

Good morning!  I haven't been here in a while so have no idea what anyone is up to, although I am happy for Mariposai and Paul for their races and glad he did well.

I have immersed myself in tournament bridge this year and my game is slowly coming back.  With that, work and running, I am pretty filled with activities.

Just over ten miles this morning at the park.  I wrote a piece in the DMN yesterday on how difficult it is for me and others to find a decent soft surface to run on while the park is closed for renovation. It won't open again until June, 2017.  I gotta find a new place where the kids are hip.  Spareribs

Hi-Ya, Ribs!  Very happy to have you pop back in.

Mike - You are receiving well-deserved recognition.  You are positively influencing those kids in ways you may never know or which may not become apparent for years down the road.

This morning's run - Bleck!   Although my mind was good to go, the rest of me wasn't.  My 6 miles was cut to 5 and there was a lot of walking involved.  Oh well.  We're pretty slow at work right now, so as soon as I have the paperwork needed to finish up a deed, I'm going home for the rest of the day.  I've been burning the proverbial candle at both ends the last few weeks, and I think it finally caught up to me.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I get around...

I am so hip that I just finished my second workout of the day.

This time King Leonidas and I walked 5.2 miles to and around the swamp.

Leslie,  take care of yourself.

Mike, I appreciate your coaching.

Nancy, congratulations on Easy Pacer's first and best half marathon!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Nancy, what great times for you, and Twocat on no training and Easy Pacer!

Where do people even get heroin?  Sorry, I guess I'm naive.

I ran 2.5 miles this morning (it's something!) -  I meant to do 4, but was being cautious with the knee, which mostly felt fine.  Then I walked Remi a little bit.  Then I got on my bike to ride to the Park n Ride to buy a bus pass for March.  Much to my surprise, the machine to re-load my bus pass was gone.  Just gone.  I wasn't the only surprised person.  So, irritated and not wanting to dig out 3 dollars from deep in my pack, I decided to bike ALL the way into work, which took me 1 hour, 20 minutes (have I mentioned it's hilly?).  I was a bit late, but no one really noticed.  I reloaded my bus card for March on-line at work, which is the way I should have been doing this since January anyway.  Happily I can take the bus home tonight.    although I might be tempted to ride again....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...well,

beat the ThunderStorm,

Voted,

raked before said storm,

and bought Groceries

Multi-Tasking is my life.....

=========

..40-min PoolRun, with belt, closed fists, run in shallows

tried some new Nike Mid's Walking Shoes.........did 20-min, made some relacing adjustments

...........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Howdy from frozen Chicago. Another business trip - another poor weather location.

Saying some prayers for Deez and Steven.

Ribs my FIL in a serious bridge player at one time nationally ranked. He ask me to partner once. Yep only once. Heh. I'm a euchre, hearts, pinochle and spades guy I guess. Enjoy.

Hope everyone is healing up. I'm back with my shortish runs. The ankle only kept me sidelined for a day. Ramping up to a whole five miles by weeks end.

tom - I found several ankle braces that had been buried for ages (competitive soccer days). The compression helped. Also, I used a cooling compression wrap ($11 from CVS). Works like those evaporating towels. Excellent buy. Works great.

Cheers. all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

tomwhite, you rake in March? We did have a little rain on Sunday, then snow again last night. It's 14°, feels like 0° but at least the sun is shining.  I think it's great that MikeE is getting an award, well deserved.  Jlynne, isn't sad how alcoholism seems to run in families but that is another debate about nature or nurture. Enke, I think it is so cool that you bike/bus/bike to work. I should walk to work, actually, but I like getting home for lunch, not so much to eat as to get some  C-R it sounds like you're getting that ankle in shape.... 5 miles is my long run!

I was awake at 5:10 this morning and seriously thought about going to the Y to run but decided that MrStarr wouldn’t want me to drive on the snow, yes 4” of it, before he got the blower out.  So now I get to run my 3 miles after work and before we go to the Minnesota Caucus. I have never been to a caucus before so it could be interesting. This one is in a small town 39 miles away called Leota, population 209 people!  I have 3 miles on my plan today so will even have time for a shower before we leave at 6:10.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Sayhey! MM#130

Don't forget Denise.  And anyone else in town for that other race, too.  we want to be all inclusive here.

Of course!  I am thinking about Denise lots and hoping her son is ok.  Just named a few of the usual suspects to get the shoes running out there!    Who doesn't love a 5K?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG, good job at Colonial.  deez, my thoughts are with your son and the whole family, hoping for a speedy recovery.  Mike, congratulations on a well deserved award.  ribs, "hi".

Nice long runs for Mike, wild, evan, and marj.

This morning, iit was snowy and windy.  I did 5 miles on the TM at an 11:23 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...starr//......we planted Winter Rye, I could MOW right now........

CR//.....glad the brace helps, hang in there

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tetsujin209 rules are rules and a poncho does not mean you weasel out, "No running in the rain!"© That includes jog-a-walk as it is the spirit of the rule that counts. Ask any lawyer.

wildchild hoping you heal fast.

stumpy77 actually, I try to avoid spending time here in the north from oh November to say the end of April. You might try it. Other places actually have good weather during those months.

buehrle I am reporting you to the stalking authorities and getting a restraining order!  Smart rocket scientist.

Jlynne 5 miles on a TM, my sympathies.

coastwalker I hope you enjoyed this morning's weather. Word on my weather app is that CT at least has a bad spell coming up.

Mariposai is obviously a serial fibber. Let us start with the phrase, "We were very smart in implementing our race strategy from the get go and that paid off." A really smart strategy on my part would have included not having my lower leg cut off my training from mid-December onward. A smart strategy would have been to help run support during the race. A really ^%#$# strategy is to run the ^$%#%# race having done no aerobic training in a month and no running at all for over two months!  Then there is this line, "I too was pleasantly surprised that he decided to accept my invitation of running,  dancing, and walking for a little bit every mile of the race course." Dancing? Me? I could hardly put one foot in front of the other after 3 miles or so. Dragged through every mile of the race course would be a lot more accurate. Then there is, "Joking, sharing stories and laughing the whole way." This may not be an actual fib. She may just not understand the difference between crying in pain and laughing. They can be similar at times I suppose.

My DW and I are back home. Tomorrow it is back to reality.  I have a paper to finish, another to start, a final to write, some dissertation defenses to schedule and attend . . .  and a marathon somewhere to train for, yes as in run miles prior to doing the race! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"No running in the rain!"©

Ask any lawyer.

Against my better judgment, I followed the “no-rain”
                          rule and skipped the deteriorating afternoon-evening

conditions as March made herself known with the worst

weather of the year. , , . . . so far.

Thanks.

ps - I always check with my favorite lawyer

but, unfortunately, ya get what ya pay for.

pps - at least you prepare for your papers to finish,

others to start, finals to write, dissertation defenses

to schedule and attend,  . ., . . . . don’t you?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

Lake Hood is a pretty happening place for pilots of little airplanes. In my case, I am not here because I have a float plane...and if I did it wouldn't help because the lake is frozen solid. I am doing some training before my initial work checkride...I would be doing the checkride tomorrow but the check airman is sick...so I will fly a whole bunch of training instead.

But I have been landing and taking off from Lake Hood instead of from the Lake Hood Strip, because the ice works just as well as a runway...so both on skis and on wheels today we were operating from the lake surface itself.

No run tonight, maybe tomorrow. Tonight I am going to just take it easy.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat -

Rhoon - what is a checkride, exactly, and a check airman?  (I sort of have a guess, but was curious about the details.)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."