Masters Running

RR -- Brian Kraft 5k (Read 234 times)

HermosaBoy

Well, this one didn't go as planned for CamScam or me. CamScam came into the race looking to PR and pie in the sky of sub 20. He hit the first mile in 6:40. A little behind pace, but not bad and then he had own stomach issues. Said he felt like the banana he had for breakfast was going to reappear. His 2nd mile slowed to 7:08. Third in 7:17 and 55 seconds for a 22:02. Not exactly what he was looking for, but I commend him for sticking with it (his face did not look happy when I saw him at the 3 mile mark -- he didn't even try to kick like he usually does). He was 7th in his AG (19 and under). Smile Came into this one hoping to drop a nice time. This is the MN 5k championship race and most of the horses turn out. Last year I PRd by 13 seconds and was barely in the top 100. Surprised Not going to complain too much (it was my second fastest 5k ever), but it certainly didn't go as planned. Oh well, the real target race is on Saturday -- Dam to Dam 20k. So, did the usual pre-race stuff and had a slightly balky stomach. Nothing major, just not really in sync. My goal today was to try to be on Brian's shoulder at 2 miles and try to push him a bit. More on that later. Big race, over 500 runners and no chip timing? Oh well -- running without the garmin, so it's a low tech day. Wink And we are off. It is really crowded and I am having trouble finding space. Brian has me by about 20 yards -- where'd he find an opening. Don't push! Just try to relax and gain on him. Finally draw within a couple of yards of him at around 3/4 of a mile. First mile comes in 5:16. Hmm, that hurt a little, but not as much as I would expect. At this point, I have passed a few people that I didn't expect to. I feel like I am running right on the edge. It's hurting, but not too badly. Brian is opening a little, but I am still within 10 yards. He knows I am back here and I know he is listening for my footsteps. Just keep turning them over. Mile 2 in 5:25 for a new 2 mile PR -- oops, I still have a 1.107 to go. Not good. Brian has me by about 5 seconds. I try to push a little bit and feel like I am gaining. Then it happens -- cramp/stitch in right side right on my bottom rib. UGH!!! Change your breathing -- no luck. Just trying to stay on it -- I look to my right and see someone drop from the race -- bad omen. Keep running dummy! Oh, this hurts. Now I see another runner drop. This is just wrong. I pull off the course and curse to myself. I see runners passing me. DNF? Run back to pick up Cam? Get back in it dummy! So, I run the rest of the way in fighting the pain in my side. I pass a couple of people and get passed by one. Final finish time -- 17:08 including 21 seconds of beating myself up on the side of the road. Ended up 60th overall (59th male) and 11th in my age group. Brian had an impressive race with a new PR of 16:33. Cool Hopefully I can beat him up a bit on Saturday -- since it's a longer race. Yes

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #3309

17 minute 5k and stopped for 21 seconds and your beating yourself up....would you please beat me up too so I can be faster. Sorry about your stomach pain, but still a solid race....man, lots of fast runners there. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Still a good race.....despite the stitch in the rib area. It will be interesting to see what happens in this next race. In any regard, even with the stop along the way, this is a time most of us only dream of. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the report. Joey
        Vista

King of PhotoShop

One PR in the family per race! New rule! I hope you were able to console your son that not every day is PR day. Running is just like that, and I am sure he will shrug it off. You had some bad luck too. As for that speedster, give him my best, what a race. Spareribs
            fast, fast fast!! Shocked
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Yeow, side stitches hurt. Good job in spite of, and progress over last year. So what's the goal in the 20K? 72-5 minutes? grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles
              HermosaBoy

So what's the goal in the 20K? 72-5 minutes? grins, A
                Sub 73 would be real nice!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

evanflein

That's a great time! (Just think if you hadn't pulled over!!) Sometimes there's a gotcha in there that you just can't avoid. You'll get him next time!
                    It sounds like a tough day for you and Camscam but you both toughed it out to fast races in spite of your pain. Congratulations. TomS