Masters Running

Sunny Sat runs Aug 23 (Read 450 times)

At the time that the Crim 10-miler was starting up in Flint this morning on a Crim-typical August HHH day, I was at the local metropark starting out on what would be a 30-mile bike ride. This would have been my 10th Crim in a row, too -- the only unbroken streak for me since I started running seriously 10 years ago. But I am sure that I'll be back there on the starting line (actually about a block back from the starting line!) in 2009! My retirement luncheon on Thursday was way more than I expected: almost embarassing the way some people layed it on. The main gift was a Garmin Edge 705 (biking GPS) with all the bells and whistles, which couldn't have been a better choice. This thing is so cool that I wish I could find a way to wear it on my wrist and run with it, but I guess I'm stuck with the Forerunner for that job. Good running, everyone! Enjoy the last few days before Labor Day weekend changes it all.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

The Jogger

Doug, enjoy your retirement and new garmin. Helen, thats a nice pace, isn't it?
      wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, I'm watching the men's marathon, and they sure are keeping a fast pace for a hot day! Cool and cloudy here, and I went out with my fuzzy running buddies for 4 miles at just over 11 minute pace, which is fast for me on the hills here. Long run planned tomorrow. Wonderful picture of Hally, Mari, and the Beers! How do you ladies walk in heels that high? After all those beers? Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hill Runner

Just finished watching the men's marathon...The Kenyan blew away the Oylmpic record in H&H conditions...amazing. Getting back to reality...LOL 8.02 miles of hills @ 9:10 pace late this afternoon in similar 85F sunny conditions.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

evanflein

Arghhh! Peter!!! I knew I shouldn't have been browsing around here during the race. We're just 48 minutes into it and still hoping Ryan has a plan to blast out of 24th place!!! Always cool to see a good race, but I was sure hoping Ryan could come through for us. My race today was a total disappointment. Well, ok, not total. I had a good time with some folks I'm getting to be really good friends with, so that's cool. But I was disappointed that for taking it easy yesterday (pool running and weights), my foot was sore this morning when I got up. And it got worse. I had to stop three times during the race to flex my foot and stretch it out, really wanted to take off my shoes and rub it but that would've really toasted my time. So, I kept on, and crossed the finish line in 22:20... what?? Ok, next issue, everyone's Garmin was measuring the course really short. Mine said 2.75 miles, most people's said 2.75 to 2.83... general consensus is it was .3 to .4 mile short. Rats... would've been quite a stunt to pull off a 10 second PR on a very hilly trail course with a few stops in there! Heh, not quite. I got 2nd in my age group and that's because the gal who got first had a birthday in July and is now 45 (who said she could do that??). So, it was an interesting day, to say the least. I was going to run a couple miles afterwards to get my miles in for the day, but decided against it. Watered the garden and swept part of the garage instead. Icing my foot now, and a couple glasses of wine are helping. Cool Tomorrow I'm still planning on running long, but "long" will be 12-14 miles this week.
              Since I haven't run since Monday's 17 miler, it figures I needed to get in a run which puts me in the (Holly's) 40/40 thread for this week. Getting warmer so a nice wilderness run in the forest made sense. Started with a group that had a couple water stations set up on the trail. Shade helped some with the sun. Mostly the hills weren't too bad. HR started out the day higher than normal, and was higher than it should have been all day, but did come back down to my nominal training HR target range. Not super hot, around 80 F at end. 23.3 miles, 75 oz water + 3 Endurolyte capsules for electrolyte replacement. All in all, a nice run... a few interesting & fun conversations along the way. Gino
                Sheesh, trying to catch up with the dailies by speed-reading after three days away. Great photo of the ladies (plus that guy who keeps popping up next to PDR); I hear the appropriately named wildchild is running topless; Holly says she is losing weight on her back; and of course we have some incredible runs by the usual suspects. Speaking of dumb Olympic interviewers, like the guy who asked how it felt to drop the baton: I was reminded of the one time in my life I was interviewed by a TV reporter with a camera crew. I was playing board 3 or 4 on the Harvard University chess team in the Pan-American Chess Championship. It was the last round, and I had just lost my game, which cost Harvard the chess championship of the Western Hemisphere. I was sick as a dog with a heavy cold, but no one cut me any slack for that: it was a team event and I had to play. So after losing badly to some guy from NYU I would have beat on a better day, I stumbled out of the tournament hall, dazed and chagrined, and this reporter grabbed me, and asked me on camera, "Is this the biggest game you have ever lost?" I thought for a few moments, and replied, "So far." Dark Horse
                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                lamerunner

Tardy post, just here to whine. Terrible, horrible, no good ,very bad 22 mile run... ugh, just as well I could not recruit anyone to run wiith me. I think I started too late in the morning; it got very sunny and warm quickly, I had stomach issues and I think had done too much the few days before. Hope that gets the bad long run out of the way for this cycle. Most of them have been pretty good. My recovery run Sunday was ok though, 6 hilly miles.