Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 7.5.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great racing yesterday, Dave!

Nice pic, Steve - leave it to Tag to take the inside track, on the grass, no less! 

It rained on and off (n=mostly on) from about noon yesterday until 7am this morning. All of the local fireworks scheduled for last night were postponed or canceled. Tonight will be a loud night! I stopped at the farmer's market on the way to this morning's racewalking training session and picked up some cukes, squash, zucchini, tomatoes and sugar snaps. We already have beets, potatoes, onions, etc, so it looks like roasted veggies on the grill tonight.

By the time I got to the track for our training session, the skies had cleared, the sun was out, and remnant hurricane winds were blustering about - it's turning into a beautiful day. Between doing some coaching, I went 3.8 easy RW miles, and that was enough for today. My legs were tired from yesterday's race, and from multiple climbs up to the attic as we prepare to install a TV antenna (the antenna, along with Apple TV, will give us everything we usually watch without having to pay for cable). I stopped at Trader Joe's on the way home, so it looks like good eats for the coming week.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Roasted vegetables off a grill are so awesome!  Good luck Jay.

Twocat, I have a favorite leg of lamb recipe.  Trim the boned out leg of the fat and silver skin, then in the food processor, puree 1 cup of olive oil, one big head (not clove) of garlic, 4 medium jalapenos and three limes cut in eighths or so.  Dump the concoction in a gallon zip lock bag with the lamb and marinate it overnight, turning a couple of times.  Grill it on a hot charcoal fire the next day.  Skin will have a nice snap to it. Best lamb I ever ate.

Holly, she is so cute. Great photo.

Wife and I ran the Dallas Running Club Independence Day 5K today and each of us finished 3rd in our AG's.  Last week I ran the 5K in 9:01's, today it was 8:50 pace. I figure at this rate of over half a minute improvement a week, by mid-fall I'll be running sub-20 minutes for this distance.  I can't wait!  Spareribs

Henrun

Hadn't run for 4 days since we both have colds/bugs but have done a lot of walking which has felt good. This morning I ran 4 slow miles once the sun appeared.

Jay, we were supposed to meet my DS and family at the Portsmouth Farmer's Market this am but our colds led us to cancel the 3 hour return drive. We're heading to LA for a wedding later this week and will try again after we return. Hope we see you there.

BTW, we constantly grill veggies and even fruit- yum.

Conrats to you and Louise, Ribs on your 5 K awards.

Marathon Maniac #957

Roasted vegetables off a grill are so awesome!  Good luck Jay.

+1

Ribs - nice racing for you and Louise!

Henry - summer colds are rough!

I only had time for 2.15 miles this morning before it was time to get ready to leave.  We met my brother and 2 nephews and 4 great-nephews at the Air Force Museum and spent the morning there.  Now we are heading for the water park.

Enjoy the day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Thanks for the encouraging words yesterday about my 10k.  I was feeling good the rest of the day about that run.

Today was breakfast at Bob Evans and grocery shopping with Cindy. I went for a run of about 3.75 miles, did some yardwork, watched a little soccer, did a little reading, and made a peanut butter sandwich for lunch.  And now, nothing else planned the rest of the day.

The cat chewed through my Samsung S5 charging cord. I went to Verizon to get a replacement but they don't sell them.   But a standard type USB cord will work to charge the phone, it just doesn't have the extra piece for data transfer. I can live with that. And I have plenty of those type of cords already.

I did go to the coffee shop next to Verizon and got an Americano and a big peanut butter cup cookie, so the trip wasn't a total waste.

Dave, great Volkslaufe 10K, beating your goals and hopes by a bunch.  Also, nice AG placing.  Jay, good job in your race being 1st racewalker.  wild, nice 12K race.  tet, speedy 10K.  mari, happy birthday to your dad.  Holly, I'm glad to hear the family visiting is going well.  ribs, congrats to you and The Saint on 3rd in AG for both of you.

Nice long runs for evan and Mike.

This morning when I went out it was in the low to mid 40s and there was a light wind.  I did 10 miles at an 11:35 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Belated but sincere get well greeting to your DW, C-R. And to hen and marg; also, thanks for the grilled fruit reminder. DH is grilling tonight and I'm thinking peaches would be yummy. And I'd want to get an invite to that ribs and twocat cook-off.

I once wrote a news column and featured Erika as a beast (albeit, a beautiful one), and her saga continues....

Congrats to Dave,Carolyn, Jay (DH adds in his congrats--smoking racewalking!) Ribs & Saint and tet on good racing.....and hope you are still feeling good today, Dave. That was a special one!

Nah, Kirsten, I'd join you in the pond. That was teen Amy who was all up herself.

Tag, I heard on the radio that July is Ice Cream MONTH. Nice job pacing your batman human there; good waiting up for him!

What Steve said about DD, Holly. How's the visit going with your brother and nephew???

Hope you and your family are able to celebrate all weekend, Posi. i always like listening to NPR on the 4th to the reading of the Declaration of Independence.

Nice long run tselbs.

Today's paper began it's coverage of our local 5K: "A heat index of 100 degrees and inclined terrain couldn't stop more than 600 runners from participating in the Fort Myers Track Club's Freedom 5K on the Cape Coral bridge Friday morning."

See? We SW Floridians can be hardy in our own way.

This was a memorable one for me. I finished 7th woman (21:51) in front of Karen E Miles, 9th (22:02), only because she is coming back from an injury and was not 100%. She is a lovely person and always very supportive of other runners. She's in my AG and smoking fast (she was in the '84 Olympic Marathon Trials with Joanie.) It's all good; I got Masters, Karen got Grandmasters, and another 60-something lady got Senior Grandmasters, so it was a super day for we 60+ runners!

grins,

A

--20 miles for me in just over 3 hours this am.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Amy, you're amazing!  First masters at 60+!  Wow!  And your friend Karen is amazing too!  Can't believe you ran 20 miles in just over 3 hours today -  I also ran for just over 3 hours and did only 13.9 miles.  I did a steep beautiful trail run with an ultra runner friend who posted on the local ultra running FB forum looking for someone to run with this weekend, and it was fun to have company!  I do most of my miles solo, but we chatted the whole way!  Runners never seem to tire of talking about running, do they?   (That's why I have to talk about it here, so my DH doesn't get tired of it!)

All this talk about grilled veggies sounds yummy - we don't even have a grill.  Maybe we should get one!  But we'd have to keep it in the garage when not in use because of the bears here, which is probably why we don't have one.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalkerSteveP and AamosY I guess Spareribs and I could meet half way in say north-east Tennessee or south-west Virginia for the cook off.  The latter would be better since there is nothing special about Virginia's regional cuisine so we would not feel bad about embarrassing the local chefs.  

Dave59 just one word Amazon.

Holly S. looks like a great day for the you and your family yesterday!  It was a wash out around here so I am glad the 4th was bright and sunny somewhere!

wildchild bears like to grill?    Who would have guessed!

I went off to run 6 miles today.  What a difference it makes going from the first to the second run back!  On Thursday the 6 I did felt like it took forever and I was dragging.  Today, no problem!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I got Masters, Karen got Grandmasters, and another 60-something lady got Senior Grandmasters,

only in Floriday would they have a Seniior Grandmasters.

Let me know when the have a Super Grandmasters.

--20 miles for me in just over 3 hours this am.

ps - sorry to say it but those kinds of times are going to get you banned from any kind of the masters category anyway

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...hi guys//...........had a PityParty this week (actually bought my own TENS unit)

...BUT I'M FEELING MUCH BETTER NOW.......

============

30-min poolrun, no belt, deep end only

,,,currently vising at Ft Campbell,

Claire has learned to SWIM!!!!!!!!!!

we did 16-laps, but she pooped out after 14

...........pictures to follow.....

...................good running to ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

I once wrote a news column and featured Erika as a beast (albeit, a beautiful one), and her saga continues....

Really? I find that hilarious! And nice racing for you in the (what would be to me) unbearable heat! I have 20 miles on the schedule for tomorrow, and would be delighted to be done in about 3 hours.

Yay for Claire! That's a big thing! And glad you're over the pity party, tomwhite. That can be a lonely place.

Nice long run for Tselbs! He always points out the efforts of others, but is out there churning out the miles himself. Well done!

Dave, that was a great race for you the other day. It's nice to have a good confidence booster like that, right? I hear the weather in MI has been pretty nice lately, too.

Twocat, haha on the bears comment. And speaking of grilling fruit, grilled mangoes are awesome....

Got in a nice easy 6.3 mile run today in 78° to 80° and full sun. That felt hot! Kept the pace easy though. After the last two days' 10+ milers, and tomorrow's planned 20, I wanted to keep it nice and steady with little effort. Seemed to work.

Now to get cleaned up and head off to my nephew's wedding. He's marrying a girl who is an outstanding swimmer. Continuing the theme of outstanding athletes in that family. And what a beautiful day for an outdoor wedding!

Mariposai

Mangos, I love them. I will have to try to grill them tonight when I turn on the grill to prepare dinner. Enjoy the wedding, Erika.

Congrats to the wiseone and the Saint on their great AG win.

Dave, way to redem the day. I just got a Samsung Galaxy S5 this week. Pretty fun devise.

Wildchild, I thought of you today during my run. Read below.

Twocat, I am very happy to see you running again.

Henrun, I am glad you are getting over the crud. Being sick in the summer is not fun.

Holly, I keep wanting to mention about your new car. Nice purchase, girlfriend. How are you enjoying it.

Aamos, ohhh I would have love to listen to the declaration of Independence read. I will go to NPR to see if I can find a recording of it.

It seems like every body had a great Independence Day.

Being outdoors today was the plan for the Posie family. I managed to get the Posie boys to agree to take me to the top of Tiffany Mt. for my yearly visit to the mountain. I see Tiffany Mt. all year long during most of my runs, so hiking to the top is always a pleasure. Ohh, the guys went down and I stayed up to run three miles at 7000 feet. My lungs were burning, but it was so much fun.

A fun family photo opportunity.

Can you see why I enjoy hiking? In the picture, the Easy Pacer, son Daniel and other son Brandon. Missing in the picture: Posie Mama and the cherries who followed us to the top Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - you are amazing!

TomWhite - looking forward to Claire pics!

Mariposai - that is so beautiful!  I would love to hike up there with you someday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

New rule: Can it on the food discussions unless there are samples.

Very Sweet, Amy!!

Hooray for Claire!!

Nice long run for Tselbs! He always points out the efforts of others, but is out there churning out the miles himself. Well done!

I was thinking exactly that. Erika used gooder words.

Love the picture Nancy

Tag and I did 7.5 miles on twisty turny trails. The dog did chipmunk and squirrel fartleks. on the return, he decided to stir up a few hornets.We both got zapped.  It doesn't seem that either of us are worse for wear. I doubt he's learned anything from that. He gets it from my side.

SteveP