Masters Running

Weekly Weigh-In Ending 08/17/2014 (Read 30 times)

BlazinCajun

Still have two days left to add to this table - Come on join the fun!

Weigh-In Thread Week Ending 08/17/2014

Name

Goal Weight lbs.  

Weekly loss/gain  

Total Lost  

Awards/Demerits

BlazinCajun -8.5 -0.5 0.5  
    Brian -8.2    

Making a comeback

fatozzig  0  0 0 Steady as she goes
    Ileneforward -7.0 -1.0 1.0 Most weight lost towards goal
    KellyDodge -14  0 0  

Tom Osler, a runner and mathematician did some research on how extra weight affects your running. "Any extra flab is dead weight that isn't going to help you generate accelerating force," says Tom Osler, author of The Serious Runner's Handbook. To make his case, Osler analyzed 40 years of data from 1,800 races, ranging from 5Ks to marathons, and found that, on average, every extra pound of body fat costs 2.5 seconds per mile. Drop ten pounds and, over the course of a marathon, you'll shave close to 11 minutes off your time. Now of course you can lose too much, it is when you are above your ideal weight that weight loss through running will have the most effect. The idea that you are actually running more also contributes to a more speedy state.

****************************************************************************

I was trying to remember (pause) that we used to have a weekly weigh-in. Was wondering if others would be interested in another ongoing table where folks could monitor and encourage one another to maintain your ideal weight. Something along the lines of what is your goal and a weekly + or - status. Monthly rewards could be an option as well - similar to the other ongoing tables and/or graphs. If folks would be interested I could do this unless someone else insisted on doing it. There really is no need to state your current weight in this effort. Kilograms could be converted to pounds.

Example:

Name                 Goal to ideal weight          Weekly status   Total towards ideal weight

BlazinCajun               9.0                                        -0.5                            0.5

Each new week thread could have a six month summary graph.

Any other ideas?

Andrew
    ------------------
    God, my Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
    and enables me to go upon the heights.
    Hb 3:19

I'm interested in getting this going again.  I'm at my ideal weight right now, but I need to hold myself accountable.  I can keep things where they are so long as I don't go any kind of a grain or processed sugar binge.  I've been doing well since March.

Current Weight: 140

Goal Weight: 140-142 (basically keep it under 145)

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

I would be interested in participating but not managing.

Anecdotal - My scale at home gives all sorts of (inaccurate) information, and allows me to enter a goal weight.  3 years ago I weighed 182 and thought "just 7 more pounds - I'll program in 175 for my goal weight".  Well, I made it up to 200 over the next few months somehow, and am finally back to around 185 and shooting for.....182.  But I left the 175 goal weight in there just to torment myself, and now I see that every morning and laugh at myself a little - a good way to start the day.

Marathon Maniac #957

Well. first off, we need to pick a certain day to weigh in every week.  Weight must be taken in the morning, before breakfast, with a limited amount of clothing on, if any. I recommend Thursday or Friday.

Then, we need to state our personal goal (it's not important to list your actual weight, but just where you want to go from here)

Sound about right?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sounds about right ~

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BlazinCajun

I don't think it really matters when each person weighs themselves as long as you are consistent and not just randomly selecting your favorite number for the weekly status update. I usually weigh myself twice a week minus the shirt and shoes but I'm consistent. The second weight is always lower than the first weight - not sure why. Weight usually bumps up on Tuesday after the weekend and Monday's day off, but on Thursday it bumps back down usually lower than the previous Thursday. Have been losing about 3/4 lbs./week since March 23, 2014. We will see what we can come up with. Andrew

Andrew
              ------------------

I vote for whichever day I'm more likely to weigh in lighter!

Okay - So I'm making the executive decision.  Check-in, weigh-in will be Thursdays (to keep us in line for the upcoming weekend!), so we'll start a new thread each Thursday.

Blazin - You wiling to start the thread each week?

Consider today the first day - I weighed in at 140.7.  So long as I'm between 140 and 142, I'm happy.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BlazinCajun

I'm willing to do start the thread, but just one question. Do we get a demerit or an award for going lower than our goal?

Andrew
                  ------------------

We'll have to confirm with Ribs how the reward system works in this part of the world.  Just don't be tying any jackets around your waist.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BTY

Name                     Goal to ideal weight                      Weekly status                         Total towards ideal weight

Brian                             -  8.2 lbs                                               0 lb                                                     0 lb

Modified to get with the program.  I think.

#artbydmcbride

Name                     Goal to ideal weight                      Weekly status                         Total towards ideal weight

Ileneforward                        -  7 lbs                                    -1 lb                                               -1 lb

Runners run

Just a dude.

Name

Goal Weight lbs.  

Weekly loss/gain  

Total Lost  

Awards/Demerits

Kelly Dodge -14 0 0

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...