Masters Running

Finally, Friday's Daily, 1.30.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Jlynne, I hope you are feeling better after yesterday's fall. With all due respect to your DH, there are risks to people of any age who venture out for a run in the dark on a winter's day. Regarding your other questions; I usually hit the sack by 9:30 most nights, and I only use an alarm when I must be up by a specific early hour. Otherwise, I always wake up between 3:45 and about 4:15.

Roch, I also have problems with 'conventional' HRMs. I looked up the Mio Link after you mentioned it yesterday, and it looks interesting. Man - I sure would have hated to have been the one to make that "Oakland" "Aukland" mistake! Didn't anyone check that woman's ticket when she was boarding ? They should have seen a different flight # and destination.

Aamos, that snowball 'party' in Portsmouth on Tuesday was promoted on FB, starting that morning. A lot of people got wind of it, and I heard that over 100 people showed up, and that the town blocked off a side street for about an hour so everyone could just have fun. What good is snow if you can't have fun in it and with it??  BTW, nice photos of the 'other' New York!

Mike is just too dang funny... And Mustang Sally is a Local Hero for sticking with the TOS!

Henry is right: The NH coastline is 18 miles (unless you include the Great Bay estuary, which would add over 100 miles). The race he referred to is the Eastern States 20-Miler (which used to be called Border To Border), which starts in Kittery, Maine, and finishes in Salisbury, Mass. This year is the 20th running of that race, on March 29. I believe Milktruck is signed up, and if I can get off my butt, I'll be doing the half that goes along with the 20 miler). When the weather is right, a run, walk, or bike ride down the NH coast can be spectacular.

Tet, I also (with Holly) want to know if you lose track of how many of those 1.1 mi. loops you've done in the Saturday Joyful Marathon? I'd definitely want a lap counter for that!

Alas, we got more slushy snow overnight - just enough to make racewalking impossible out there. With the way the week has gone, I just should have said at the outset that I was taking the week off. Luckily, I got in some good upper body work with my shovel...

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Hi Jay and all who follow,

we just got a dusting, so I went out for 5 miles on one of the plowed feeder road which was fine although i walked down a couple of the steeper hills as i wasn't sure of black ice.  i saw around 8 runners on this road that normally has 1 or 2 - others had the same idea!

on to breakfast

marj

New skirt in town

A wee bit disappointed that there are no new jokes from Mike this morning.  He said he'd be here all week.

Just a slushy walk to the gym, 1 hr 25 min of hard work (intervals) on the elliptical, and then a slushy walk home. I'm looking forward to running tomorrow!

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Slo

Hey hey hey

Any American Idol followers here? This is one of the few years that I've made it thru auditions without having a favorite picked.

A very pleasant 6.8 miles this am. Super easy pace and felt like a million bucks.

Finally...we have a winter storm forecasted. It pales in comparison to what our Eastern states got. I'm so ready to play in the snow!

Jylnne...I hate treadmills but this year I got a gym membership. The freeze thaw freeze cycle has produced to much hidden ice and I'm out of practice on my barrel rolls...I don't think my coccyx can take another landing. Hope everything is feeling better!

Mariposai

I am almost jealous of the folks who are getting their snow.  Ours is gone in town and it felt almost warm this morning during my 8 miles, run.

Yes, where is funny Mike?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

. . . (which used to be called Border To Border), which starts in Kittery, Maine, and finishes in Salisbury, Mass.

Is that because there is no border between Maine and Mass?  According to my Califernee-uh education, it's called a "state line," which doesn't make for nearly as an exotic sounding race title.

Mike?  Mike?  Mike?

Rest day for  me, then tomorrow it's the Clam Beach Run.  I'll be doing the longest distance - 8 3/4  miles.  They never have been able to figure out how to get an extra 1/4 mile in there.   Ends up 3 other people from my office are running it and the boyfriend of one gal.  If I hadn't been walking past the kitchen yesterday, I never would have known, and 2 of the people in the conversation know I am a runner.  Maybe I'm not liked as much as I thought . . . .

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Just checking in from St George, Utah.  We're on another road trip to escape the snow at home.  We've been here climbing for a couple of days, but today it's raining so we're driving further south/west.  I had a good 9 mile run from camp yesterday, on dirt ranch roads out in the sagebrush.

Jeanne, hope you're not too sore from that fall yesterday!   The last time I fell, it was into pretty deep snow, so I didn't hurt myself, but I was with a group on a trail run, and they laughed at me.

Leslie, happy racing this weekend!  And good luck to all the racers:

01/31 A Trackrat  - USATF XC tune up (4K)

01/31 Fatozzig - Clam Beach Run-8 3/4 miles, Trinidad, CA

01/31 tetsujin - Hiratsuka Joyful Bimonthathon (Japan - geta)
                02/01 Ileneforward - Surf City marathon, HB CA

02/01 Opie - Super Sunday 5 mile Road Race, Las Cruces, NM

02/01 Milktruck - Mid-Winter 10 miler, Cape Elizabeth, ME

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya all!

ouchy wowie, Jlynne.  Do heal up fast, faster than me, for sure (tho I'm NOT complaining, grateful to be running!)

Science Friday, trying here, but not my favorite.  Drones and Robot regulation, really?

marj, you're just quietly consistent, you know...well, of course you do.  Just sayin' I've noticed.

Not an Idol watcher, but how goes the scale watch, Slo?  (Why do I ask men about weight loss??  It's always easier for them...)

Long pants AGAIN this am.  Just a quick (well that's relatively speaking, fer sure)  3 for me.   I may fit in a race or two (for conditioning purposes) this weekend.   Gotta do something OTHER than Super Bowl droning.  (There oought to be a regulation on THAT!)

Sounds like a good trip, Carolyn.

Leslie, that 18 miles of coast (I think that's an exaggeration) IS the border.

I'm going to go take a walk break while it's doable.  It's about 72 now.   (Remember this in July when I whine about the humidity.  You can quote this at me.)

Happy weekend, heading toward Groundhog Day!  And Punxsutawney Phil!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

A wee bit disappointed that there are no new jokes from Mike this morning.  He said he'd be here all week.

This morning's 23 degrees wouldn't have been so bad, except for the 25-30mph winds.  I was okay in one direction, but frozen in another.  I ended up going home after 11 miles outside and running 5 more on the TM watching Sunshine.  meh..

16 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

This morning's 23 degrees wouldn't have been so bad, except for the 25-30mph winds. 

You must have had our winds from last night. I opted for the gym and treadmill instead of facing the wind.

evanflein

Hats off to you, Holly, there's no way I'd go out in those winds, maybe not even in the summer! I really don't like wind.

I hope Jlynne is feeling better, that sounded like a rough fall. I really don't like falling, such a helpless feeling.

Hiya, Amy! Sounds like you're coming along very nicely. Two races this weekend?

Leslie, I'm sure they all love you!

Happy road trip, Carolyn! It's so cool how you guys get out and about so often. You brought the dogs, right? I don't think I'd put running and camping in the same timeframe unless there was a shower in the mix as well.

So the plan last night was to go to MIL's house for belated birthday cake for my DH. She made a kumquat cake, sort of like a lemon coffee cake ring. It was good, but very sweet. Preceded by snacks of baked brie, crackers and wine. Hmmm, hadn't planned on that. Left there around 8 pm and had to get gas for the truck (you see where this is going). So... no run again last night. Totally unplanned two "rest days" in a row. Looking at my mileage and my OCD kicks in thinking "Drat! if I'd run 5-6 last night as planned I'd be on track for a 200 mile January!" So now the goal is to run tonight and tomorrow, and not try to kill myself by trying to run 27 miles in two days. The original plan was about half that, so we'll see what happens.

Oh, and this damn cold snap is lasting longer than planned. The warm up forecast for today was spoiled by it being almost the coldest day of the week since Monday (-21 at our house). Originally we were looking at 13 or 14 by Sunday, but now that looking like maybe 8° but hey, at least it's above zero!!! I might be off the treadmill this weekend afterall, but still bundled up!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Wow...I almost feel missed.

My boss made me go out for lunch with him and a heavy equipment rental salesman, today.  I remember, when I first got out into the workforce, being taken out to lunch by somebody seemed really cool.  Now, it's just something that keeps me from doing what I really want to do during my lunch break.

Well, my calf that had me limping for a couple days has finally stopped hurting, but my Achilles is still making it uncomfortable to walk.  So, I think I'll take a couple more days off and see if it helps at all.  I really thought I was past all my Achilles problems.

Slo--I watch American Idol, too....although, I missed the last couple of nights.  I agree with you--nobody really stood out this year.

Good luck to everybody racing!

Hey--Jlynne--how are you feeling, today?  That sounded like a pretty bad fall, yesterday.  I really hope you're okay.

Okay--I gotta go--see ya!

Mariposai

Well, my calf that had me limping for a couple days has finally stopped hurting, but my Achilles is still making it uncomfortable to walk.  So, I think I'll take a couple more days off and see if it helps at all.  I really thought I was past all my Achilles problems.

Take care of the ouchies!!

I am now wishing I can join the Michigan RA family meeting, which I can't....so

if wishes were fishes we will all have a fry, right?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

if wishes were fishes we will all have a fry, right?

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who used to write this on the board on exam days:

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Finally got home for a 6.2 mile run on the TM tonight. One thing about these mid-winter cold snaps... even with the treadmill, I end up a week or so later definitely feeling "fluffy" and in need of looser jeans. Grrr.