Masters Running

JANUARY Plank Challenge 1/28 - 1/31 (Read 30 times)

jeffdonahue

just a note about the monthly challenges: I am happy to come up with something different each month, BUT I also invite anyone that would like to "lead" for a month to volunteer. Many of you have some great ideas of different exercises to do and having someone different take over for a month will bring more creativity and interest because we all have different ideas. SO, if anyone would like to lead up a challenge for a month, just let me know! 

If you or someone else takes February (given that it starts Friday, and given that Jan and Feb are my two busy months for work), I'll take over for March.

Have we decided what the FEBRUARY challenge is going to be yet?

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Before run: 
      2x 1:30 prone (my longest hold yet!) 
      2x 1:00 side 
      1x 1:00 prone

After run: 
      1x 1:00 prone 
      2x :45 side 
      1x :45 prone 
      1x 1:00 Kneeling Spider-Man planks (20x)

10:15 total

OrangeMat

MM #6177

If you or someone else takes February (given that it starts Friday, and given that Jan and Feb are my two busy months for work), I'll take over for March.

Have we decided what the FEBRUARY challenge is going to be yet?

Well I'd be happy to take over February, but you're all likely to be stuck doing stuff with paper plates... or worse....

TammyinGP

yay!

OM has February

Jeff has March

I'll write this stuff down so I can send a reminder if needed.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

100 crunches + 3 minutes of planks (90 seconds forward + 45 seconds each side) + 40 minutes of weights + 100 crunches + 3 minutes of planks (90 seconds forward + 45 seconds each side)

Marathon Maniac #957

Please no paper plates.....I tried that and just found it, well, annoying frustrating.....

3 minutes of planks on Wednesday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

camille2

I haven't posted much, but just want to say this has been good for me. Thanks!  I don't think I saw the amt of progress some of you did though.

I'll watch for the next challenge. Just my thought-something with squats would be great.  A PT recently told me they are one of the most functional exercises.

coastwalker

I haven't posted much, but just want to say this has been good for me. Thanks!  I don't think I saw the amt of progress some of you did though.

Camille, any progress is good progress! Keep up the good work, and post more often if you can.

Jan. 31. No motivation today, so I kept it relatively simple.

1 X 60 - forward plank

2 X 45 - side planks (1 each side)

1 X 180 - glute bridge

1 X 120 - forward plank

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Please no paper plates.....I tried that and just found it, well, annoying frustrating.....

I personally did not try any of the paper plate moves, but I was trying to figure out how to simulate some of the stuff I like doing on the ball, and this was the closest I could get. I think I'm supposed to start a new challenge theme as of tomorrow but I'm clueless as to what will be good for everyone. Actually, I'd be happy just continuing with more planks like we've been doing, and adding in weekly variations. Help, give me suggestions!

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm all for more plank stuff. Just make sure you show pictures.
                      OrangeMat

MM #6177

OK, how about incorporating some Spider-Man stuff into the mix? The knee-to-same-side-elbow movement stretches and improves hip mobility, something that runners tend to be lacking in, with all that frontal plane movement. And you're still getting a major core workout by holding the body in proper position.

Spider-Man planks:

forearms

straight arms (kneeling and full body)

straight arms w/twist

Spider-Man pushups:

basic version

easier -- hands on a bench (stairs work fine too)

harder -- feet on a bench

You can alternate legs or do several on the same side for your sets. Personally, because of my S/I instability, I do these exercises on my knees and they're just as challenging. So what do we think??

And Mike, if that's still not enough for you, there's always the Aztec pushupShocked

TammyinGP

did my 2nd set of planks last night.

and did my 1st set of planks this morning - 3 min total.

I like the idea also of doing an exercise in Feb that still engages the core. I'd like to keep building on the progress I've made this month.

Tammy

TammyinGP

If Mike tries the Aztec pushup, would you please also make that into a youtube video Big grin

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

If Mike tries the Aztec pushup, would you please also make that into a youtube video Big grin

Maybe that will be the challenge for a future month, videoing ourselves doing these exercises! Ha, NOT....

Ok, so Spidey it is! I'll start a new thread with the details for tomorrow, and I guess we'll go Friday to Friday for our weeks in February.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Morning set (7:30)

3x :60 prone

2x :60 side

1x :60 prone

2x :45 double leg raise (10/set)

Afternoon set (7:15)

3x :60 prone

2x :45 side w/:15 leg lift

1x :60 kneeling spiderman planks (20x)

1x :45 full spiderman planks (20x) -- too fast!

1x :60 full spiderman planks (20x)

14:45 total

Interesting thing I learned about these spiderman planks is that the slower you do them, the harder they are.... but also when you do them slower, you have the opportunity to readjust your form properly after each rep. Particularly lowering your hips to shoulder level again. Took me three sets to get them right. Lucky me.