Masters Running

Summer's Swan Song, 9.22.15 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry - no summary from yesterday because I'm just jumping back in today to try to ketchup with y'all.

Another RTB note: at our half marathon race committee meeting last night, I had a chance to talk to a friend I had seen at the start, and who was on an "Ultra" team, meaning they had 6 racers instead of 12 like we had. That means they had one van that was constantly in motion, except to let racers in or out at their transition areas. My friend ran 42 miles, taking on a few extra for a teammate who was suffering in the heat. The Ultra teams are incredible! Perhaps WildChild would want to lead one next year...

3.6 easy RW miles in wonderful 57F temps this morning as I ease back into regular workouts. The only real damage I have from the relay is that I jammed a toe (and nail) while trying to get everything I could out of one of my last downhills. It's still a little tender, but it and I will survive.

For anyone contemplating the Seacoast Half Marathon (Portsmouth, NH, Nov. 8). there are 85 spots left as of right now. I expect we'll close registration in the next few days. Here's the link to the race page:  http://seacoasthalfmarathon.com/  And here's a link to a draft video (no music added yet) of the course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1iMwuntbYU

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I am sad to see summer go, but autumn is nice, too.  It's that winter stuff that I don't particularly like....

4.3 miles for me today in 51 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am sad to see summer go, but autumn is nice, too.  It's that winter stuff that I don't particularly like....

I think September is the best month for running. At least around here. The mornings are cooler and the humidity seems like it's not as bad. At 5:00 AM this morning it was ideal for running:  51° with not much wind and clear dark skies. Still shorts weather but I can see where we're headed   5 1/2 miles for me at a sproinky pace for me, at least these days. Then 10 minutes of jumping rope and some ab work.

Glad you found a car for your DS Holly. Shipping sounds like the perfect solution.

I'm happy to read you're recovering from your RTB adventures Jay. I read your report and looked at some mighty fine pictures. Looks like everyone had a great time and survived the heat.

Today is my only day off this week so DH and I are headed to the golf course this afternoon. Sunny with temps around 70. Not sure how many more golf days like this we'll be blessed with.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Welcome Aboard to moebo........

and

always Good to see LT posting......

...still 80s here, so I'm Loving It..........

===========

1st of 2 PT work-outs,,,,,,single leg squats was A Bear

30-min walk with cane at City Park

very uneven ground, and poured concrete sidewalk (ugh)

legs felt like Lead afterwards.

so I'm hitting it again tomorrow

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Relay over.    Brain working again.    Back to couch potato to heal up.   Potato day 2 post relay.

I want summer to stay!!!!!  Bad winter, bad, bad, bad! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Yet another perfect weather day. 32 miles cycling with the Tuesday group. Today it was all the more hardcore riders that showed up, so we rode a bit harder on a more challenging route. I think I need a day off now...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

This morning, it was  in the high 40s and almost calm.  I did 5 miles at an 11:05 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

moebo

Thanks, tomwhite! I hope you can find more runner-friendly terrain tomorrow--concrete sidewalks are the worst.

4 miles and change for me this morning.

After more than 12 years as a pretty regular runner, I finally got tired of trying to figure out how far I am going all the time and bought my first GPS watch a couple of months ago. I am still not sure it was such a great idea, because now that I know how slow I really am I find myself trying to go faster than I probably should most of the time, and that is the kind of thing that will get me into trouble. But today, when I was hoping to see 9 minutes on the screen at the end of my fourth (and fastest) mile, my watch flashed 8:39, and I was so shocked I let out a yelp!

I think my marathon training is starting to pay off.

It sounds like the relay team had a blast!  I sure would love to join you all some year.  We'll see . . .

Loved the pics of the muddy Tag.  Way to go, Avenger Doggie!

Ribs - Very good to hear it was just dehydration.  I've tried setting timers, I've tried putting a pitcher of water on my desk to finish by the end of the day . . . I've gotten bad at drinking enough water.  As far as getting up to go to the bathroom all the time, look at it this way: (1) we're not supposed to sit a lot, so it makes you get up, and (2) I figure every time I get up to go, I'm burnin' calories!  That being said, I need to go fill my water cup.  (PS - Try  not to drink any water after 7:00 p.m.)

Holly - 1997 Ford Explore - Solid vehicle . . . just in case . . .

SteveP - We found quite the stock of pain pills and muscle relaxers in one of my dad's kitchen drawers.  Could've made quite a killing with those on the streets . . .

Yesterday morning, I started a new workout DVD specific for runners. Holy crap!   I have a ways to go before I'm not dying halfway through.  Each exercise is a super set of 4 or 5 or you can stop the DVD do more . . . or you can do fewer and fast forward to the next exercise set like I did.  The burpees just about did me in.  It was nice to see that one of the "models," a sub 3-hr marathoner (and a dude) was struggling with the exercises.  Not as much as me, but it weren't no fancy, glossy production where everyone is smiling like they're in exercise heaven as opposed to exercise hell.

Running today will be after work.  Sleeping in just feels too good these days . . .

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Afternoon!

I now embrace autumn without any of the reserve or melancholy tinges I once felt.  Yippee!

Stumps, marj and henrun........wheeee!!!!!       Movin' on up. 

thanks for the vote of confidence, Doug, on the AF Museum.  AFM Registration starts Jan. 1, 2016, so you have some time; why not join us?  [Race will be 9/19/16, I think.]

Hiya moebo.  And tw, keep it up.  As I saw in the museum at the space display: "FAILURE is NOT an OPTION."

twocat, so in amongst the little giftie bag I sent Leslie for hosting us in Reston was a package of the spice sumac (have you made Syrian Za'atar ?  it's so good on hummus!) and a vegetable herb blend (w/ no sodium) especially for oven roasted brussel sprouts.  She's a fantastic cook but teaches middle school science and works part time at Talbot's, so is often a little pressed for time.  Not thyme, so I didn't send that.

We have a new meeting place for speed work tonight, at a real track!  I could almost be happy!   Must. speed. home. afterwards!    So 8 easy peasy ones this am.  Pretty sunrise.

Happy Tooooosssseeeday.

P.S. So happy the AZ shirts matched the cape for Taggie.  The royal color suits him, yes indeed!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

I like autumn- however got my annual cold after our race in Chicago and gave it to Marj-an unwelcome homecoming gift. Despite feeling miserable ran 5 today.

mrrun

I want summer to stay!!!!!  Bad winter, bad, bad, bad! 

Like button!

Marathon Maniac #957

I now embrace autumn without any of the reserve or melancholy tinges I once felt.  Yippee!

Well, yeah, because you live in FLORIDA!  Although I have to admit, while our winters are not nice like yours are, I think our autumns are likely nicer - not nearly as lovely as spring developing gently and colorfully from the bitter, brown and grey winter landscape, but the fall colors as they slowly unfold are pretty darn nice.

Moebo - well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks tomwhite - happy to see you here as well - I think that means you are post-op healed and climbing stairs?

Rest day for me, so I will post a public health message ... a reminder to dispose of all unused and expired meds through the proper locations. Please check your city website or ask a local pharmacy where meds can be safely disposed.

Jay - congrats on filling up the Seacoast Half Marathon

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx