Masters Running

SEPTEMBER CHALLENGE (Read 44 times)

TammyinGP

I want to get this up a few days early because I'm not sure how much I'll be around the next couple days or if I'll have time to look up some exercises.

So, here's what we are going to do. (I nixed the no beer challenge Mike. I really don't want to see a grown man cry over no beer).

on ODD DAYS, we'll do Bulgarian Split Squats. Sounds brutal right? Wink Nah, it's not that bad. Although I haven't tried them yet so I really don't know what I'm talking about. . . .

Bulgarian Split Squats

Working muscles: Quads, glutes, core and calves.

Progression: Standing in a lunge position, rest the toes of the back foot on a one- to two-foot bench or box. Lower the torso  straight down by bending the front knee, ensuring it isn’t lunging forward beyond the toes. When the forward thigh is parallel to the ground hold for one to two seconds and then slowly come back up to a neutral position. Repeat 10 to 15 times on each leg.

Extra credit: Add a small hop at the top of the movement or hold a ten-pound weight in each hand.

on EVEN DAYS, we'll do Lateral Step Ups.  if you don't have handweights for this one, it's not a big deal. You'll still get the benefits from this exercise w/o weights. You may just need to increase your reps to feel that burn that I know you all want.

Lateral Step-Up

Working muscles: Quads, hamstrings, glutes and core.

Progression: Holding a 10-pound weight, stand next to a two to three foot high bench or box. Step the inside foot up onto the bench. Engaging the core and the glute muscles in the stepping leg, step all the way up, while bringing the outside knee up to a 90-degree angle. Hold there for two seconds then lower down with control.

Repeat 10 to 15 times on each side.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey--these look great.

I actually came on here with a suggestion but we can do them next month if you want.  The cross country team does weighted arm swings.  So with a light weight...2 1/2 pounds...or a rock...whatever...swing your arms back and forth for 2 sets of 30 seconds working your way up to whatever.  Okay--that's my suggestion for October. Now...I have to shower and grab a beer!  Ah, I'll grab beer and take it in the shower with me.  All this talk of no beer has driven me to drink!

Mike - I've been doing the weighted arm swings for years.  It really does help build your running arm endurance.

I learned of the Bulgarian Split Squats a couple of years ago from Holly.  I have stupidly let them slip out of my regular routine.  They're great for the quads, hammies, and balancing.  The step ups I learned from the days of "The Firm."  You've picked some great exercises, Tammy.  The only thing I'd add to the step ups is when lowering back down to your outside leg, add a bit of a squat.

I gotta remind myself to actually do these every day!  Pam Smith, the woman who won Western States wrote an article about her training in the year leading up to the race.  In 2012, she finished in 28:58.  This year, she finished in 18:37, shocking the ultra running world.  In the article, one of the very impressive things she said talked about was the amount of squatting she did - weighted and non-weighted, even holding her 6-year old over head for squats.   . . . . . I need to do more squatting.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

M

I gotta remind myself to actually do these every day!  Pam Smith, the woman who won Western States wrote an article about her training in the year leading up to the race.  In 2012, she finished in 28:58.  This year, she finished in 18:37, shocking the ultra running world.  In the article, one of the very impressive things she said talked about was the amount of squatting she did - weighted and non-weighted, even holding her 6-year old over head for squats.   . . . . . I need to do more squatting.

I need to do more squatting too!

The six weeks before Mt. Rainier Backpacking trek I did the 6 weeks to 6 pack video every day and I tell you...the darn video saved my life so many times on the trail.

I am a firm believer of XT!

and Holly is my idol when it comes to XT.

Count me in!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Holding a 10-pound weight, stand next to a two to three foot high bench or box.

Okay, there is no way that box she is using is 2 or 3 feet high.  Can't be more than 1 foot, tops.

Of course, for someone like myself, who is just over 5 feet tall, using a 3 foot high box would be rather difficult.

And just so you know, I will NOT be adding a hop to my Bulgarian Split Squats.  I can barely balance as it is.  However, I will likely add weights.

Being that this is LR day, and the first day of the month, I did 5 of the split squats on each leg, no weights.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

LOL Holly - yeah, I'd like to see a 3 ft high box! I'll be using a small step stool I have, which is probably all of about 1 ft high.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

I did the Bulgarian Squats--15 each leg--no weights--and no hopping...and it was only a 10 1/2" box...this will be a progression thing...

TammyinGP

these are harder than I thought! I did 10 each leg, no weights, no hopping. it was all I could do to stand up afterwards!

Tammy

Got my days mixed up, so did BS's today, no weights, no hopping, but I did stretch my arms straight up over my head, which gives the squatting a whole new balancing dimension.

Did nothing yesterday.  Figured after 22 miles on Saturday, I deserved a break on Sunday.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Lateral Step-Ups--10 each leg.  I was at a park with the high school cc team and did them on a picnic table...didn't have any weights...the kids thought I was nuts...

Marathon Maniac #957

10 lateral step-ups on each leg yesterday.  I did them on our stairs, going 2 steps down from the top of the stairs and stepping up to the landing.

Today - 30 B.S.S. on each leg, no weights or hopping.

Anyone else find their left foot so much harder to balance on?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

15 Barbarian Bulgarian Split Squats on each leg

TammyinGP

I have no idea why I read that as Banana Split Squats.

did my 15 BSS on each leg and raised arms during the lunge part. that made it a bit more challenging. I'll do them like this for 1/2 the month, then add my handweights for the 2nd half.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

15 Lateral Step-Ups on each leg with a 10 pound dumbbell

Marathon Maniac #957

I didn't do these yesterday because both of my knees were sore.  Given that I have a marathon next week, I will likely do these very lightly this month.  Good exercises, though.

10 BSS on each leg today.