Masters Running

GARMIN HR Monitor Strap Test - please participate! (Read 384 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Tramps - you could have gone behind a tree and switched it around!! The first time I accidentally wore my strap upside down was early summer and I was getting all these low HR readings but as they kept going all over the place I started to wonder. Since this was a long run, I stopped by my mom's house, saw it was upside down, turned it around and started getting regular readings. The next time I accidentally did this - I thought that my HR numbers had finally dropped, like all that training finally paid off!! Then they started getting lower and lower, so I stopped by the cemetary and hid behind a building while switching it around. Of course - you being a guy and all - you wouldn't have to hide to do this ....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

HermosaBoy

Well, I tried it last night and the readings were a bit lower, but nothing drastic.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

dg.

happy to take part. just need a garmin. need my address?
        evanflein

Deb... Big grin
            Report from Morning Run w/Upside Garmin: Lap 1 - 9:35/149 Lap 2 - 9:44/154 Lap 3 - ?? Lap 4 - 9:58/154 Lap 5 - 10:32/156 Lap 3 got screwed up when I availed myself of the Safeway bathroom facilities. Anyway - Not really different from what I think would be normal. I was doing hill work, so maybe reported a tad low (?). ?? Turn around and wear it on your back?? Confused

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Deb - I'd love to send you my extra one - I just don't seen to have one! Wink I received this from the Garmin Tech: I have not heard that wearing it upside down affects the readout being high or low. It sounds like you may not be getting a good contact regardless of which way it's worn. Try wetting the sensors - these are the ribbed areas to the left and right of the battery compartment - or using a sports gel to see if you get better contact with your skin. Also you can try rotating the sensor so that it's on your side or back - this sometimes works. If you are still gettin g erratic data try changing the battery as it might be running out of power. Once you change the battery or open the compartment you will need to restart the scan in the device. I went and bought a new battery at lunch time and now feel compelled to go for another run with it upside down later on ......

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Try wetting the sensors - these are the ribbed areas to the left and right of the battery compartment - or using a sports gel to see if you get better contact with your skin.
                I use good ole spit, which I've been told doesn't work, but works just fine for me. Tried dish soap one time per a suggestion - didn't work at all . . . and between the sweating and slight friction, I soon was "blowing bubbles" outta my shirt. Big grin (kidding . . . maybe)

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Clinical trial subject # 24586-B9783 reporting. Wore my Garmin upside down today. No apparent difference in readings.

Be safe. Be kind.

I use good ole spit, which I've been told doesn't work, but works just fine for me. Big grin (kidding . . . maybe)
                    That is exactly what I do and have been doing since I got my 305. Before I put it on I just put a little dab of spit on both sides and rub it in. I generally wash it weekly using some warm soapy water and an old toothbrush. I also wash the strap on a pretty regular basis in a netted bag with my running clothes. The only odd thing I ever really noticed with my monitor is that it will sometimes show a sharp peak almost immediately after I start running and then it settles right down and is usually pretty regular.
                    mustang sally

Bad faerie

I have to tell you that I am way to OC to even try this. Just the thought of it is making me twitch. Roll eyes Smile
                      I'm with Lou here. Mess up the data? Unthinkable. The only time I get wonky results from my Garmin HRM is when I don't get the contacts wet (yes, spit) before I go out. It's been going strong on the same batteries since Spring '07. I should just replace them before they up and die on me.
                      Cashmason

I don't notice a difference when I wear my upside down. I am OC about a lot of things. This is not one of them. Oh and I run the contacts under water faucet before I start out. Why use spit, when I can get a lot of moisture more easily.?