Masters Running

Hello, Friday! 8.3.12 (Read 389 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

I would have been out the door at 4 this morning, but I wanted to watch one more heat of the women's 100 freestyle at the Olympics. So put me down for a 4:05 start. 5.29 racewalking miles in 68 thick, muggy degrees. I was serenaded by toad choruses at a couple of pools along the way; I don't know why they always feel compelled to sing the virtues of warm and muggy weather. It looked like a full (fool?) moon high in the sky, but it was shrouded in layers of gauze, and I could never make it out clearly. There was a kiss of a westerly breeze that just barely touched my lips in the last 2 miles of my loop - the promise of that kiss was, unfortunately, more enticing than the reality, and I was badly wilted by the time I got back home. I saw a bit of PDP (pre-dawn pink) coming over the horizon, just before I turned west toward home (and into that aforementioned kiss).

Good luck, good weather, good running, and big smiles to all of this weekend's racers!!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

....jay//.......what a Slacker.........405???? 

it's a

SlipperySlope my friend.

=========

found out

last night

you can use Alfredo Sauce for dipping bread in.

may actually have to go to the grocery before Pickles gets back.

Luckily

still have Milk, RamonNoodles, and Mayonase left.

RestDay and stretching

.....................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

TW—you ought to have your own cooking program.

I nominate Tazzie as the mascot of the “Pretty in Stink” team.

EZ 5 for me.

Go racers!

08/04 shadowrunner - River to Sea [R2C17], Milford to Matawan, NJ

08/04 runnerclay - Hot to Trot 8 HR Lithia Springs,GA

08/04 deez4boyz -  Beach 2 Beacon, Cape Elizabeth, Maine

08/04 MilkTruck - Beach to Beacon 10K, Cape Elizabeth, ME

08/05 MilkTruck - Cap Ann Yukanrun Half, Rockport, MA

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Go Racers - forgot it was beach to beacon w/e.  another one that sells out within 30 minutes.  It's a fun race, but probably never again.

Biked to work at 6 am and followed it by a 4 mile swampy run. no toads, but lots of runners on the charles.

happy runs and walks everyone,

marj

Slo

An easy untethered 7 miles. No watch, no gps, no music. Just enjoyed the gift.

Mariposai

Pirate, you still have a lot of staples with you! for another month I can live on ramen noodles for weeks. I used to have a book titled 360 days with ramen noodles. Believe it or not, it had some pretty tasty recipes in there. Now, how is the cane painting coming along? pictures?

Marj, how far is your bike commute? 

Leslie, I hear you about loosing muscle tone so fast. I did the same since Boston and now I am looking at months to gain back what little muscle I had before...idiota soy Tight lips....but I am trying to be good to holly-up three times a week. Second week victoriously completed this morning..so...there is hope.

The 87F run I did last night made running in 55F this morning feel cold. Three miles with the Easy Pacer, who got a calf cramp towards the end of our run. Twocat, he sends his admiration to you for running a BQ marathon with calf cramps and all. 

After the run I proceeded to plant the two rose plants I bought in honor of moondancer. One is red, the other one is yellow. It was cool that moondancer's boy friend was in the yard, watching me plant. Cry

Stay cool folks, we supposed to get to triple digits around here today.

The full moon was sure gorgeous this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Good morning everyone. First, let me thank you for your kind comments earlier this week re Joe.  Means a lot.

I have been out of town but ran every day along the Allegheny River.  Got home last night and did a short run this morning, just 2.1.  Tomorrow will be a better day after a good night's sleep.

Triple digits huh Mariposai?  I know something about that!

In what part of the body is the pisiform bone?   Spareribs

Henrun

I looked out at 5:30 and saw a beautiful pink sky-but didn't get out to run until almost an hour later (after Marj left on her 5 mile bike commute). My L leg seems to be improving but, after a 5 mile run 2 days ago, I had a stiff calf. Did 2.5 miles on the local reservoir with a horde of runners, walkers and cyclists. Then took off to the Y to swim for 20' and soak in the whirlpool for another 15'. Calf feels much better. Temp. and humidity are way up now (or I might do a mini tri and cycle). Have a doctor's appt in an hour-so might cycle later in the day.

Good luck racers and keep as cool as you can.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ohayou gozaimasu. I better practice as that’s what I’ll be saying next week this time on kinyoubi.
                    Starr - with red being my age group color over there, and with “tetsujin” inscribed too,

I love wearing the old Cool Running tee. Thanks SloJim’s son.
                    ps - do you still do any moonlight runs around the lake? So sorry it doesn’t sound that swimable. Under a full moon, an otherwise undistinguished sandy lake floor is transformed into a silver sheet reflecting back up to the surface turning the water itself to a silver gossamer, each stroke producing sparklers of splashing, silver spray.  Try it, you’ll like it.

In what part of the body is the pisiform bone?   Spareribs

Is that like the small knobbly, pea-shaped, floating sesamoids in the ball of the foot? 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Still nothing.  Nada.  Nope.  It has just felt so darn good to sleep in!  Monday, though.  Monday I begin anew!!  . . . .  Roll eyes  I need another goal race.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I nominate Tazzie as the mascot of the “Pretty in Stink” team.

I second the nomination!   4 easy miles around the 'hood with the stinky buddy and the fuzzy buddy. Many stops for wild raspberries!

SteveP, we have also heard of using baking soda, peroxide, and dish soap for skunk, and we washed Tazzie with it last night. It helped somewhat.

Happy Friday!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Marj, how far is your bike commute? 

5 miles mostly downhill with tailwind going and 5 - which feels like 10 - going home into the wind.  actually it's primarily flat with one hill that becomes a mountain around 4:30 on weekdays and the rest of the time is a piece of cake!

just walked around outside at lunch - temp 90 with RF much higher!

Carolyn - send the raspberries to the east coast pleeeze 

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

08/04 shadowrunner - River to Sea [R2C17], Milford to Matawan, NJ

Thanks Tramps...but town is Manasquan, NJ.  Matawan I think is in central NJ but not sure. Confused

Looks like it will be a hot one tomorrow for R2C!7.  Temps expected in the 90F range or higher with HUMIDITY..definitely shirtless weather and sunscreen for me [and most of the racers ~ 150 teams w/ 7 members each].That is after meeting my team at local park n' ride before 5AM to load up our 2 vehicles then travel to Milford and register 45 mins prior to 6:40 AM start time. Sleepy 

TGIF everyone!

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Leslie, give yourself a break!  You deserve to rest those legs a bit.  Btw, where is that race report?

5.3 miles at Cougar Mountain with the dog.  Awesome.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

....jay//.......what a Slacker.........405???? 

it's a

SlipperySlope my friend.

Big grin

Ribs - the wrist!

Mariposai - I fear I have not been "Hollying-Up" enough lately.  I, too, have been slacking.....

I took off work early to go to the doc today about some persistent abdominal pain I have been experiencing in recent weeks.  I have avoided it because I didn't want him to tell me to get an endoscopy (our $2500 deductible makes that scary).  Also, I figured that my regular intake of coffee, tea, and diet soda, paired with my stressful job was causing my distress.  Luckily my doctor did not jump right to invasive procedures, but put me on a generic Protonix for 6-8 weeks instead.  Hopefully that will give whatever it is a chance to heal up.  Goodness knows I wouldn't actually want to stop drinking coffee, tea and diet soda....Roll eyes

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of light weights.

DH is going out of town for the weekend with a couple friends to a pro golf tour somewhere near Akron.  Tonight is our golf league, but I'll be playing with a friend who is subbing.  DH NEVER goes out of town, so I have to admit, it will be kind of nice.  I get the TV remote!

Good luck to the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."