Masters Running

Thursdailies 12-27-2012 edition (Read 389 times)

Bushrat Runner

Troy - I wanted to get a Samsung camera like yours for Christmas but haven't ordered it yet.  Did you have to buy the lens separately.  I found the camera around $300 and the extra 30mm pancake lens for about the same.  MrStarr thinks we need the big SLR digital Canon Ti4 but I'm the one who always takes the photos when we go on trips.  I like the point and shoot that fits in my pocket, and think I'd like a camer like yours a lot better than the huge one.

Hi Starr,

I did buy the 30 mm lens separately. The camera usually ships with a 20-50mm lens, which is a pretty fine lens itself, but a bit bulky compared to the pancake lenses. There are 16, 20, and 30mm pancakes available. I got the 30 because it is a good angle of view for photography from the plane, and with the large maximum aperture it works well for taking photographs inside without a flash. The other pancake lenses would likely work well for that also, but the kit zoom is a little more limiting for that purpose.

There are newer bodies, the NX1000 and the NX200 or 210 that are a little better, and slightly smaller but are also going to cost more. The NX100 has been great for me.

My running photos are shot with my phone, a Samsung Galaxy SII...

Troy

tselbs you should get a double shout out for making it 9 miles on the TM!  tselbs, tselbs.  Or is that now a triple shout out?

Today the ankle seems fine.  If I have/had planter faciitis that seems fine too.  So all is good to go for another 1 mile walk - 2 mile run - 1 mile walk on the TM tomorrow!  Not a chance I will try to duplicate shadow runner's feat of doing something like this outside.  All in all, I am somewhat hopeful that my running hiatus is finally at an end.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

After having 5 days in a row off of work and sleeping 1 st shift hours,then going back to 3rd shift hours last night,I was beat this AM! I actually nodded off at a stop light on the drive home from work this morning. I think I was sound asleep 10 minutes after I walked in the door this morning.

I plan on taking an easy 5-6 miles run today. Lower calves STILL a bit tight. I still have to see if it was my hill running earlier this week,or my new shoes. I rarely if ever get sore anymore.

Starr,I hope you feel better. I had that flu around Thanksgiving. I only felt bad for about 36 hours,but I could feel my lack of energy while running for a few days after that.

Baboon-Thanks for the heads up on the Knuckle Lights. That's what I thought,I could only find them through the manufacturer.

Marathon Maniac #957

My GD ended up in the hospital with viral pneumonia... she is only 9 months old

Oh dear, that's tough, when they are so young and get sick.  Hope she gets better quickly and your DD and DW can get some rest, too.

Starr - bummer being sick - that sounded like a tough bout.

Slo_hand - I know what you mean about the short week seeming so long.  The end of the month is always a bit stressful at my job.

5 easy-paced miles for me on the TM this morning.  I just don't have time these winter mornings before work to get all the clothes on for outdoor running and still have time to run.  So much quicker to throw on shorts and a t-shirt and run in the garage.  Still, I need to get out there and do some hills (both down and up), because I know I am not getting as good a workout on the TM.

DD got a remote control helicopter for Christmas and has already mastered it.  Last night she put on a show for us (complete with entry tickets she made up).  She put the room in complete darkness and switched on area lights in each part of the LR and kitchen to highlight each feat for dramatic effect - taking off from one stool and landing on another, knocking an apple off the coffee-maker into a basket, knocking down a row of dominoes with the helicopter, etc., all the while critiquing our audience response....she's a very demanding performer.....Big grin

I'm going to miss these kind of things when she grows up.....Undecided

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Two runs today and both with Hudson. He LOVES snow and was bouncing and bounding through the drifts this morning---a bit more cautious this evening as it was dark and today's snow is getting a nice icy-crunch layer on top now. Almost 8 mlles total and all good. Lots of shoveling action as well, so no weights for me today---heavy snow lifting works just as well. I did think "engage core, lift with legs" while shoveling, so let's hope that did something too.

Lots of folks who received snow shoes or sleds last winter are finally grinning!

TammyinGP

Hi RA Friends!

It's Thursday already? wow, what a week it's been. Last Thurs about this time (4 p.m.) we lost power and didn't have it restored until late afternoon on the 24th. By the 22nd though, DS and I left to go to my parents house about 20 miles away. It was already difficult to get in and out of our neighborhood and more snow was predicted for that night, so since I only have an Alero (that still can't get down my 1/4 mile driveway because of all the snow!), we decided he and I should leave. My DH and the dogs stayed behind for another day to see if power would be restored. Still w/o power on the 23rd, so they also left and we all moved in with my parents until after Christmas. It was actually a very fun and memorable Christmas.

So needless to say, with all this snow, I've done virtually NADA as far as running goes. My usual trails are so snow covered and there are so many trees down, that this spring I'll have to start over clearing them and regrooming our nice trail running paths. I have gone to the gym the last couple mornings to get in a workout though. Ran 3 mi on the TM yesterday and 2 mi today. Was planning on more but then decided to mix it up and get in some cross cardio training, so I did the TM, the bike and the elliptical. chose a challenging preprogrammed elliptical workout and I have no doubt I'll be sore from it tomorrow!

Heading to the gym tomorrow also. DS has a 1 hr personal trainer appt, so while he's doing that I'll go to an outdoor run if it's not raining.

Hopefully in the next day or two I'll get a January 2013 Challenge thread started - so stay tuned and I hope several of you will join in on the monthly challenges I'll try to put together for 2013.

Tammy

DD got a remote control helicopter for Christmas and has already mastered it.  Last night she put on a show for us (complete with entry tickets she made up).  She put the room in complete darkness and switched on area lights in each part of the LR and kitchen to highlight each feat for dramatic effect - taking off from one stool and landing on another, knocking an apple off the coffee-maker into a basket, knocking down a row of dominoes with the helicopter, etc., all the while critiquing our audience response....she's a very demanding performer.....Big grin

I'm going to miss these kind of things when she grows up.....Undecided

Holly,how old is your daughter? Sounds like something my younger sons would do.

Yes,soak these moments up while they are there.

I have two that are out of the house now,and I miss them .

I did 5.6 easy miles tonight.

I just got done cooking myself a big pot of organic wild rice. So much junk food laying around here from the holidays I figured I needed to start eating some of my healthier foods again.

evanflein

Holly, your DD never fails to entertain! Too funny that she was critiquing the audience!

{{Jeff and family}} Oh dear that's gotta be hard. My DS2 had RSVP when he was 9 months old, developed pneumonia and was hospitalized for  three days. Had residual asthma from scarring in his lungs but he's pretty much outgrown that so all good now (this is my soon-to-be marine!). The scarring was from the RSVP not the pneumonia, so hopefully she'll be fine.

Tammy, you should just send that snow to Econo to fix her snow envy! And you know your DS will remember this Christmas because it's been so unusual!

Holly, you are so right about not getting the same sort of workout on the treadmill! After most of November and December on the TM, I've been able to run outside for a couple days now because of warmer temps and time off from work. But the conditions are such that I'm limited to our hilly roads, and my legs were so sore this morning I opted for an easy 5.2 miles on the treadmill! Even that felt hard. But good to get it done. And yes, having to account for 10 or more minutes just to get dressed does factor into the decision of where to run!

Looking forward to some warmer temps this weekend and next week.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly,how old is your daughter?

DD is 10, and she's quite a spitfire (sometimes exhaustingly so).  DS is 15, and I tell fewer stories about him because he is my laid-back, relaxed child, but I am very proud of him and will miss him terribly when he moves out as well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."