Masters Running

40's on the Run week of 1/27 - even the Superbowl is over 40 now (Read 532 times)

BTY

No running for me today. I'll start a new weekly thread while you all go do the heavy lifting. Too bad it's a rest day - temp is 30F, no wind, blue sky - Feels much warmer than 30. Pray for me - I'm going to try to install a ceramic tile landing inside our main entrance - I have to cut away the existing hardwood floor to do it. Hummina hummina hummina. Undecided bty
      Hello, my fine fellow 40 runners! I'm back! Did you miss me?? I missed you all - had RA withdrawals. I did manage to run 4 times while I was gone, 3 of them in Prague, but did walk everywhere! I wish I had worn a pedometer so I could've tracked our mileage. It hadn't to have been at least 4-5 miles each day. Hub even thinks he may have lost a pound or two! We couldn't have asked for better weather, and all my anxiety about trying to run in snow was for not. I could've run easily in my road shoes as opposed to my trail shoes. However, it did give me a chance to try my new trails shoes and only ended up with a blister one time. Woo hoo! Hopefully, the whole blister problem was the shoes, but a trek on the trails in two weeks will tell the tale. Prague was absolutely gorgeous, and I will give full details later. Suffice to say, it was an incredible place, we had a great time, 9 days was a couple of days too long Wink, and I'm very happy to be home. I haven't had a chance to go back and look at the last two weeks of posts, but I hope all is going well with everyone, and welcome to any new people who have joined us. Later, All!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for getting us started bty.... Welcome back Leslie.....can't wait to hear about your trip....weather, people, shops, food....we want it all! Bet your kitties missed you! I'm a double-digit runner....went out nice and slow yesterday staying around a 12ish pace. Ended up doing 10 miles @ 1:58:51, 11:52 pace. So happy.....I'm a tad sore this morning....knee is holding up well. Ugh! It's Monday, off to work. Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Good Morning 40's ~ Welcome back Leslie ! and yes,we did miss you.Can't wait to hear about your trip. BTY- How did your floor go? I certainly know that feeling of "uh oh,what did I do now?" Nice run Jewels, 10 miles is alot! Can't believe that Jan is almost over.One more frigid month left.Finishing up the strongest running month yet for me.Stretched out my longest run to 15.4m yesterday. Yes Feeling a bit tight in the calves as the course is pretty hilly.Speaking of courses,do you guys map out your runs here?I think the guys tend to do it more than gals.I think it's a pretty cool way of looking at different parts of the country.Feel free to check out my courses.I'm actually pretty proud of what I have done on them. Take care folks!

Hiya 40's! Good Monday morning to ya. Thanks for starting us off BTY. That home improvement project sounds pretty intense. Hubby and I have been scared to tackle any flooring work since we tried to save ourselves some $$ by installing a Pergo floor ten years or so ago. That was back when you had to glue it together, use straps to squeeze it together, etc. Well, we didn't use the straps (per advice from Home Depot since they were out of them), and wound up having to scrap the work we did ( plus about 1/3 of the materials). Then we hired a professional to tear that out and lay the floor correctly WITH the straps. Will never forget sitting on our partial floor dejectedly trying to figure out what to do next! Sounds like you are more experienced than we were though, so I'm sure yours will be turn out much better. Leslie, yes, we need details! Don't you just love walking around in a new city? It's such an adventure, and you see so much more than if you drive around. Jewels, wooohhooooo!!!!!! Double digits. Isn't that cool? Something about that psychologically. Guess it's just one of those things you can't imagine being capable of until you do it. Glad your knee "enjoyed" the run. Now you can just bask in the glow as you start your week. Oh...running...ummmm...well...I haven't run since Thursday. Today is the day though. Katy the dog seems to be recovering pretty well, but won't be able to come with me for a while. The owner of the boxers was very nice, assured me that this was an isolated incident (they got out while firewood was being delivered in the back yard), agreed to pay the vet bills, and even said they would pray for Katy's recovery.
            Progress Trumps Pefection
            sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Welcome back! Someday I'd like to visit Prague. I think it may have to wait until the kids go to college, unless somebody wants to pay my (our) way in the meantime. I've mapped a couple of courses but since I never even leave the neighborhood they are bound to be pretty boring. Tongue I managed 9 last week, and I'm surprisingly sore; as recently as October I was running almost 60 miles per month, I've lost a lot of fitness and endurance. My feet and calves especially are grouchy right now. Have a great week, everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Speaking of courses,do you guys map out your runs here?I think the guys tend to do it more than gals.I think it's a pretty cool way of looking at different parts of the country.Feel free to check out my courses.I'm actually pretty proud of what I have done on them.
                I've never mapped out my running routes here because they are so BORING...Smile I just run in loops round my neighborhood, roughly 5-mile loops mostly (unless I realize I have to make a pit-stop, when I beeline back home Smile), but I tend to zig-zag occasionally up different blocks. Ohhh, the joys of life with a Garmin - I never had that luxury before, when I was running pre-mapped loops, courtesy of mapmyrun.com.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Queen of 3rd Place

BTY, you're brave! Hope it turned out OK. Carol - I've had my share of messing up a do-it-yourself project and ended up spending more in the end than if I'd just looked for a pro in the first place, but I keep trying! Not too bright... Hey Leslie - welcome back! Glad to hear the weather was friendly - I think it was worse here. Got pics? Did you eat some schnitzel? Some good beer? I'm very interested in the food report! Jewels - the best thing about double-digits is the bragging rights Big grin There's something psychological about telling people you just ran 10 mi (especially while you stuff your face at dinner), and they just look at you like you're an honest-to-goodness athlete (or just plain crazy). Joe - I'm another one with boring courses, nothing to map, I just follow the multi-use paths around here. Both of 'em. Yawn. But the changing seasons, clouds, wildlife, people watching makes it interesting. Incidentally, I'm inspired looking at your mileage - it's tempting to take that next step. Last week I cracked 30 mi for the week - was aiming for 30, but felt really good and fresh after 10 so I added just one more for 31! No soreness or anything today, very strange. I havn't gone near a bottle of ibuprofen in forever. Keeping it mostly slow seems to really help. Arla

Ex runner

Can't believe I have to log on here and see Joe's Giants picture...(Resisting the urge to trash talk so as not to jinx the Pats!) Still lots of snow on the ground here, so lots of treadmill running. Even the treadmill is better than installing tile, especially when it's a no retreat project, so good luck bty. Can't wait to hear abour Leslie's trip to Prague. I ran once during a trip to Belgrade and got strange looks. I've mapped a few courses and use Google Earth often to see how far I've run and to check elevations on hills.
                    BTY

Good Morning 40's ~ BTY- How did your floor go?
                      Thanks for asking...and so far, so good. My youngest son and I did the hardwood floor removal together - demolition is a great male bonding activity, btw. We got the floor prepped and the ceramic tile laid out, and now I need another stretch of time when I can be home long enough to mix up the mud and lay the tile for good. Fortunately the tiles are going in the corner of the living room, so there was only one cut to make. Two of the sides of the rectangle are formed by remaining floorboards, one by a wall, and just one by my cut. That made getting it square much easier than it might otherwise be. I hoped to go for a run at lunch today, but I was just now (6:30 pm) excused from jury duty - I've never heard of juror selection going from 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM! Ya see, the problem with choosing a panel in Albany is that practically everyone called for jury duty in Albany is Irish; so we either are cops, have relatives that are cops, or, uh, know enough cops that it takes a long time to find "qualified" jurors. So after a 25 mile week last week, I'm optimistic that I'm truly excused and now going back to my normal work schedule, and can get in enough short to medium runs to make this a cut-back week, not a lost week. bty Go Blue!

jfa

Hi Gang~ Yabba - you have me thinking about that jinx thing ! Roll eyes Bty- nice job on the floor.Doubly good job getting your ds involded.I know that's not easy. Carol- Happy that Katy's better.That's really good that the owner owned up to it too. SB- work into it gently.Like LRN tells us,"there is no finish line" Holly- I guess our routes are really just special to ourselves.Like that sense of "ownership"after completing a run over a route. Arla- nice week for you and thanks for the kudos.I am keeping my proverbial fingers crossed as I climb the ladder.I'm scheduled to do my first 20 miler in about 4 long runs from now.If I get through that ok,I'll register for a May marathon. Confused Big Blue !!! Cool (sorry Yabba.Can't help it I guess.Hey,you can root too!!)

Ugh! Hub and I both have the flu so bad! I really think I'm going to die. It would be a nice alternative to how I'm feeling right now. Dead Brian - You're gonna do great on the floor. Jewels - Congrats on the mileage! Yee ha! Carol - What happened to Katy?? I need to go lay down . . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

My long run was a long snowshoe in 2 foot of powder in Rocky Mountain National Park, just an ugly dreary place. BTY hope your tile project finishes nicely. Leslie welcome back!! got a little too quiet around here, Get Well!! Jewels 10 miles way to go, double digit is a huge milestone (or like 10 milestones ;-))!! NJ Joe nice long run, sounds like your on track to meet your own marathon criteria Arla good week and without vitamin I Carol so sorry about katy getting attacked. SB the big thing is your getting out there again YDD hope you like the dreadmill better than me.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

BTY, glad the demolition went well. Never have understood why guys like smashing things, but it seems to be pretty universal. Joe, congrats on your best running month ever! Seems that you are looking good for that May marathon. You’ve been really smart with your ramp-up. Arla, you know what they say…doing the same things expecting different results is a form of insanity. Oh yeah, we’re all crazy runner people anyway, so what the heck. Holly, I hear you on the Garmin. Definitely makes running routes a lot more free flowing. I still have a tendency to run the same routes over and over again though. Yabba Dabba, looks like you are getting in some good runs on the treadmill. That takes fortitude. Way to go! Leslie, hope you feel better soon. Nasty flu bug be gone! We’ve missed you. As for Katy the dog, on our run last Tuesday she was attacked by a Boxer that got out of his hard. Pretty scary, but she only sustained one gash, and seems to be healing well. Vet said no running for her for a couple of weeks, and she’s starting to resent that! Bear, glad you’re getting back out there! I wish we could just press the “save” button on our fitness level sometimes just in case life crashes in. If you figure out how to do that, please let me know! In the interim, we will rebuild. R2, excuse me while I cry over the fact that you had to snowshoe in such an ugly place! Nothing like a cold, crisp, sunny day in the mountains to revive your soul! Sucky run for me yesterday. Put it off ‘till late afternoon and only went a little over 3 miles. Felt like I could have gone fishing with my legs. The were like lead sinkers! Need to get back to running at least every other day. Also missed my yoga class. No excuses, just didn’t do it.
                              Progress Trumps Pefection
                              SteveP

Hiya 40's! Good Monday morning to ya. Hubby and I have been scared to tackle any flooring work since we tried to save ourselves some $$ by installing a Pergo floor ten years or so ago.
                                If there's a next time, let me know. I started drooling on the key board while reading your post.......More than usual I mean.

SteveP