Masters Running

Monday - 8/17 (NOT the 18th) (Read 34 times)

Dave59

I thought it was the 18th and that led to some confusion when I was trying to enter my run into my log, but I got it figured out.

What's Up?

I ran 6 this morning.  Could be my last Michigan run unless I fit it something before or after loading the truck tomorrow.  Wednesday I will get up, try to drug the cats, take out 20 bags of trash to the road, and then drive off.

I survived a 3.5 hour going away party last night.  It was good to see everyone before I left town but I am sure glad I don't have to do that very often.  Everyone knows my feelings on social gatherings and all the hugging that goes with it, so they all made a point to be as social and hugging as possible. 

Awww Dave - you're such a softie!  You've been a good neighbor to these people for many years, and I'm sure you and Cindy will be missed. Good luck with the last couple of days at your Michigan address. Are you mentally prepared for the big move?

It was 75° and 90% humid when I left the house at Jay o'clock this morning. JTWIDLI. 6.25 miles with a bunch of walk breaks to wipe the sweat out of my eyes.  Three deer and what looked to be a woodchuck along the trail this morning. And flies. Lots of them.

DD#2 and SIL are in town for the PGA tournament that was held at Whistling Straits over the weekend. We're having a family gathering for them tonight as they head back to Denver tomorrow morning. I'm praying that the predicted rain holds off until later this evening so we can send all of the kids outside to play. There will be 8 of them, all under the age of 10. Could be interesting here if I have to come up with inside entertainment for all of them...

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

coastwalker

Hi kids,

Nice start to the day and good job of surviving the departure party last night.

Good luck with the kids and the weather, Jlynne!

My quick scan of yesterday's posts showed that most folks had a good, if swampy day.

I've also had some chafing this summer, and BodyGlide works wonders.

That lamb sounds terrific, Ribs! So does the mini-luau, although I agree with Enke that 9am is a bit early for adult beverages.

Congrats on another marathon success, Aamos! Is that #151? I hate (and fear) those organizational headaches!

You just keep doing what you're doing, Tet, and you'll be just fine.

Tselbes, your consistency is very impressive.

Nice heat-beater run, Stumpy. Sorry about the mid-day yard work on a day like today.

Good for you for helping out grandma, Mike, and for getting some good advice on what ails you.

Enke seems to be making her own 'steamy' these days (well, with a little help from BE).

I've also had those 'come and gone' pains, Evanflein, and they can be scary when they first come on and you don't know what it is. I'm glad yours went relatively quickly. Tasty dinner!

Nice run & photo, Steve.

I entered a small local 5K yesterday morning. It started at 8, but it was already a muggy 77F then. It wasn't my best race, but I was 27th out of 102 finishers, and was the first finisher over age 60. Afterward, we took our visiting niece and her girlfriend up to Mt. Washington (the highest peak in the northeast at 6,200+ ft.). We drove the auto road up the mountain, and it was a sunny, clear day and the views were amazing. We hung out for a while, drove down, shopped at the outlets in N. Conway on the way back, and stopped at a nearby seafood restaurant for dinner once we got back near the coast. We didn't get home till 10, so it had been a long day, and I decided to sleep in a bit this morning before heading out for my 7:20 annual physical (for which I struggled to find something wrong so we'd have something to talk about). The doc offered some vaccinations that I declined, so all is good.

Have a greta Monday, steamy, swampy or otherwise.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wish I could find a race like that to cheery-pick.   Bet you annoyed a few folks in passing.  very nice!

Nice 10thOA, Amy.

Happy moving, Dave.  You do such a good curmudgen impression (ALMOST as good as Ribs), I almost believed you.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I thought it was the 18th and that led to some confusion when I was trying to enter my run into my log, but I got it figured out.
            What's Up? 

dave - maybe you thought you were moving to Japan with Mikemp instead of WV.

Wow, Jay - beating 75% of the running field
            sounds like Guinness Record material. 
            I hope you had a chance to pass a lot of ‘em

so they can appreciate that running isn’t all about running.

I bet deezie passed her share too. 
            Amy too winning AG by 56 minutes and age-graded 2nd place overall by more than a half hour.
            Steve - I didn’t realize I had become OMS too until, after pulling me by the hand through the finish line at last year’s marathon up there, GS promptly demonstrated to his father the old-man-shuffle I’d been seeing for years in older runners.  I just didn’t realize it was now me too.

I'm tapering today after yesterday’s planned reverse wet brick fizzled to a run-bike brick as, with the morning’s 15 mile ride being the longest in seven or eight years of limiting my cycling to the 12 mile bike legs in an annual super-sprint triathlons, I was too tired to go swimming so went picking blackberries instead.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Just stopping by to check on you guys. No running to report since we have wild fires all around us and the air quality is really, really bad.

I should be using my treadmill, but I refuse to use the TM in the summer months, so my stubbornness may cost me 5 or 10 minutes from my finish time at my next marathon, but at this point I really don't care for time anyway.

We are having so much fun with son Daniel and girlfriend. She is a very fine young lady!

The Easy Pacer have been working insane hours for the fire. I have not seeing him much lately.

Cheers my friends!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks for the diaper cream idea, Amy. Worked wonders! Couldn't locate the Ultraphor that Robin recommended.

A FB ultra friend recommended 2Toms lube. Until recently nobody this side of the border stocked it, but I scored a can today,

Got in 2 miles recovery run on the TM. That was enough.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Marathon Maniac #957

Everyone knows my feelings on social gatherings and all the hugging that goes with it, so they all made a point to be as social and hugging as possible. 

I am sort of glad to know it wasn't only me that made you uncomfortable with my hello hug.  Goodbye hugs are tough, too.

Jay - well done!

Nancy - Enjoy Daniel and GF, and I hope your air quality improves soon.

4.2 miles for me this morning in 72 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A very busy day of life for me today.  But, generally all good news events!  The best news came from my doctor.  As a couple of my friends pointed out, the location of my lower abdominal muscle pull and many of my symptoms were also consistent with a mild hernia.    Today I got in to see my GP and he told me no hernia!  Just knock it off with whatever seems to aggravate the strain until it heals up and stays healed for a bit.  That means I am officially knocking out all lower body gym work involving my lower abdominal muscles for the duration.  I am also knocking off all running until all of the soreness goes.  I find that running down hills seems to make it worse once it gets going and I am worried that running itself may be a contributing factor that I am just not noticing as much.  In any case, it will be all elliptical all the time for now.  Yes, this does count as good news!

As you might guess from the above paragraph, it was an hour on the elliptical for me today!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I spent about 3 1/2 hours in court with Eric, today.  Boy, was that an experience.  Eric got off with a "Be good for a year and we'll forget the whole thing...oh...and pay $50 on your way out the door."  Now, we just have to wait to see if he gets as lucky for his next court date for another mess he got himself into.

So...I went running tonight.  Yes, my quad/pelvis thing still hurts.  I did a 2 mile warm up and it hurt the whole time.  But I never felt it during my 6 x 800 repeats.  Then, it hurt a little bit on my 2 mile cool down.  It rained the whole dang time--which was nice during the 800's but I cooled down real quick on that last 2 miler.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

SteveP

Safe journeys Dave59.

That sounds like a perfect day, Coastwalker.

Greta news TwoCat!

SteveP