Masters Running

Run of the Mill: anything BUT! (Read 37 times)

New skirt in town

I had SO much fun at my local 5K today!  My sister and I had planned on running this with our sons (who have just turned 9 and 10 this month).  Some of you know that my sister, Karin, was actually very sick 6 weeks ago, and was hospitalized for 5 days.  She's worked hard at recovery, and although she wasn't sure that she could even attempt this race, she gave it a try.

We all warmed up together and posed for a Starting line photos!

The start (Will)

Karin and Roman:

Will poured it on at the end with a sprint!  He and I finished at 28:45!

Roman came charging up 10 minutes later, and Will ran him in!

Karin had a stitch in her side, but she came in just at 40 minutes!  Given how sick she has been so recently, I'm in AWE that she accomplished it.  We decided to recreate this recent news story of a 13-year-old twin who piggy-backed her sister to the finish line of a race last week after she was injured: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/eighth-grader-carries-twin-finish-line-race-article-1.1793196

Karin and I turn 50 at the end of this month, so this was a fun way to celebrate our upcoming birthday!!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

That is so dang cool!

wildchild

Carolyn

Sweet!  Great pictures!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Karin doesn't look quite as upset as that other girl.

Cool!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice race for you, Sis, and cousins.  and no way you're 50!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Very cool!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

How great that you and Karin and the boys had such a good time together! Isn't that what is really important?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

Karin doesn't look quite as upset as that other girl.

Where's the dang "Like" button? Kudos to Karin for doing this.

Robin, what a great way to celebrate your upcoming birthday. You must do a variation of the WRFB approach and have a birthday month celebration?

C-R

LIKE!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I’d say you’re having too much fun but you are.

Karin and I turn 50 at the end of this month, so this was a fun way to celebrate our upcoming birthday!!

I can hardly wait, especially if the same thing happens
                        to you that happens to most of the goofbal,.. .
                        I mean runners posting herein at various milestone birthdays.
                        ps - no particular reason but could you
                        meet me at mile 26.2 of my next 50K?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wonderful pictures!!

And that is an amazingly wonderful, powerful story of the young girls.  Thanks for sharing both your story and theirs.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance