Masters Running

Sunday August 31 Daily (Read 40 times)

mrrun

Tet - well done - all that training paid off!

Erika - thx for the earthquake update  we were concerned.

Lots of good runs in the HHH

we have incredible amounts of frozen pesto cubes, which should last thru March

no runs for us - biked along the Charles then later took a walk along Boston Harbor. we completed the triathlon with ice cream cones which should have been cups because they DRIPPED!

now grilling for fancy chicken caesar salad with eggplant

have a lovely rest of the holiday!

marj

...EXCELLENT tet//..........when exactly did you start Training?????

=========

60-minutes

rode in 2.5-inches of humidity this morning,

the parking lot began flooding,

but

I was already soaked,,,,,,,,,and I figure you can only get SO wet........

7-gears Up, 7-gears down

another one tomorrow.

my poor running buddy is in some compression socks I gave him, has his foot propped up and is drinking Beer and eating IceCream

he

appears happy, so we'll stick with this

...................good running to the rest of ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tet!  Great job in your race!  You must have tapered just perfectly.

Well...after running 4 hours, yesterday...then mowing the lawn for 2 hours...then carrying 18 4x6-12' timbers from my front yard to the back (a Labor Day project DW thought up for me) my legs were shot for my 5 hour run, today.  But, I pressed on and managed to get 30.9 miles in 5:05:35.  I passed the 5 hour mark before I was back to my car...then, when I reached my car, I only had .3 miles to go to get in 30.9 and end the month on an even number.  With today's run, I went over 300 miles for the month...I hit 80 miles for the week...and, when I got home and weighed myself, I was at 119 pounds...my high school wrestling weight.

Okay--that's it--I think I'll go put on some compression socks, put my feet up, and have some ice cream and beer.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Dang, Mike, that's impressive....   but only 2 more miles and you would have ended the month on a prime.  

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Howdy all. We cut our camping trip short and are home now. Lots of traffic even on Sunday. It was raining on Thursday when we left and have not really seen the sun for four days. No wi-fi again so I am behind here.

I ran a pace run on Thursday night after we got the camper set up. The trail is paved so that is what I am used to. My max HR was up to 174, sustained for over a mile. That was weird, hopefully just a glitch in the monitor.

This morning I got up at 6:30, ate breakfast and had some coffee before I went for a 12 mile long run, the last before my half next Sunday. I got out of the camper without waking MrStarr. It was about 60* and 100% humid which is just the way I like it. Being surrounded by tall white pine, red pine and birch trees had me lost in my thoughts admiring the wildflowers. Just then two deer jumped out right in front of me and ran off, then a beautiful doe crossed the trail ahead of me. The only other wildlife I saw was a black cat which I steered clear of. I biked the trail last night to put water bottles at mile 2.5 and mile 5 but actually didn't really need it since it was not hot out at all. I was comfortable in capris and a singlet. I hope the conditions are similar next Sunday. Average pace was 12:42 and I am happy with that.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

9.1 miles to give me a prime number for the month's total -  oops, I forgot to add  up the score for August. 

Amy - I think I'd rather smell deodorant than the perma-stink some of my tech Ts get after awhile. I have several of those stinky shirts but am too cheap to throw them away, especially since they fit me now! Have you tried deodorant on the shirt?

Mr. C. is still abroad....sigh!  It's killing me.  I like this one a whole bunch. -absence makes the heart grow stronger, it works both ways, I think?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Tried something new; sandwiched in a 5K on my long run yesterday.  The race didn't start until 7:30 and it was 8 miles away, so voila, jogged over there easy, got in a faster warmup mile, ran the race, ate some real food (vs. gu), then ran home.  Made the run a lot easier.

[The 5K was small.  My 12 year old running chum won the whole thing on the female side; it was her birthday.  She's now 13 and has the go ahead from her coach to run a marathon, so quite a day for her.  Another running chum, lovely 29 year old PT who bakes us healthy treats for after Speedsters workouts, and I ran it in together.  She was 2nd and I 3rd and another Speedster was right behind us so she scooped the Grandmaster award.   Fun!]

Today I did 18 with fewer and faster breaks since yesterday was so chopped up.  Another beautiful sunrise over the river.   On to celebrate DH's birthday, which is Tuesday but we're not waiting.  I'm giving him a trip to a marathon.  He got in 14 on Sanibel Beach yesterday!!

Lots of news here, a 12 year birthday girl old winning the big kahuna, Aamos getting a meal to sustain her long run and earning 3rd place. What a fun race indeed, and DH is going to a marathon, is he going to run it, race walk it, or watch it?

evanflein

20.5 miles on the Equinox course today... started at the start and finished a mile from the finish, without doing the 5 mile out-and-back (Holly, remember that? Good thing to skip, no?). I'll get to the out and back a couple of times this week. I figured the good run I had yesterday would cost me today, and I think it did. I took a lot of walk breaks and stopped a few times for water, and at the top of the dome to talk to a friend. (He almost changed plans to run with me, but didn't and went back the way he came.) It warmed up a little, from 47° when I started, and not much warmer than that at the top of the hill, to about 52° at the finish. At least the sun came out at the end, but I wore gloves until I got to mile 17.

Glad that's done.

Enke, you can try adding some baking soda to your wash for the stinky tech gear. There are also some products on the market specifically for washing sport wear, although I can't remember the names. We got a sample at a marathon once and it worked well, but I've never found it in stores around here.

Tetsujin, well done on beating your nemesis/mentor/whatever! And hey, I'm not too proud to crow about beating some women around here when they're tired, sick or injured. Doesn't happen often, enjoy it when you can! But seriously, I hope he's ok... that can be a traumatic experience.

Mike! You're just a little scrap of a thing! Nice running, and I've always heard you do get a good training benefit from running on tired legs. On race day, you'll be ready to go!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Dang, Mike, that's impressive....   but only 2 more miles and you would have ended the month on a prime.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

20.5 miles on the Equinox course today... started at the start and finished a mile from the finish, without doing the 5 mile out-and-back (Holly, remember that? Good thing to skip, no?).

No doubt - I remember that out-and-back as being particularly wicked.

Enke - have you tried soaking them in the sink with some Oxy-Clean before washing them?   I find it helps.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike! You're just a little scrap of a thing!

Words every man loves to hear...