Masters Running

Thurs 6/26 Masters Runs (Read 517 times)

i took rochrunner's advice and got out there and ran. Picked the late afternoon, took along a water bottle, concentrated on keeping hips neutral and spine nice and tall. Didn't push pace, not one little bit even though I felt much better than yesterday. No approaching storms so I could just enjoy the breeze, the sweat, my feet on the pavement and my beating heart. A very refreshing 7 miles in 60 minutes. Ahhhhhhh! I think I deserve a trip on my mountain bike to the Corn Hill Creamery and see what kinds of flavors they have come up with today.
    dg.

Mary, i hope it was a deer! otherwise... please keep them on your side of the state. Wink. TW, nice run. betcha those dogs were sippin' mint juleps on the porch. i can't find my boxes. Dave59, very nice.
      remember what George Costanza's father always said: SERENITY NOW!
      Jeanne, great advice. It worked well on George. Big grin. Nancy, have a wonderful trip! I've never been there, but hear it's wonderful. Carolyn, I loved your floating run. TomS, thanks. I do too. this was a fluke. remember, I was just 6 months out-- fresh enough that I made a good call. (you're paying attention, yes?). Good call for you today. -- I get exactly the same reaction that you do. can't say how many times I've stopped because I knew it was more than enough, for whatever reason, then either ended up doing more, or else felt like a lazy sloth. (double!). You express this very well. Still looking for answers. I hate it that you're still dealing with this. have you said & I missed... have you been to a doctor or anything? Along these lines, I have a foot question. maybe not a 'daily' topic, but I'm not sure what to do. I've assumed that what is hurting is a chronic thing, which I've run on since the beginning. Last night I came to the non-professional opinion that this is something new. I can't see the podiatrist until Monday, & it's going to be a long weekend. From what I can figure out, this could be an 'interosseous strain', a stress fracture, or morton's neuroma. pain & swelling in the space between the first & second metatarsals. have to hobble. The reason I'm asking is mainly this... one book says if it's the strain (a muscle tear) to move the toes to avoid scarring. Yet if it could be a stress fracture, I'd think that would be something to avoid. Has anyone had experience with this that you want to share.. maybe a description of the symptoms you had? hey Doug. pretty good trick. Roll eyes I'm glad you've been able to bike. a lot. Drom, serenity now. Smile. Holly, sit. unless it hurts.
      DickyG

I can't see the podiatrist until Monday, & it's going to be a long weekend. From what I can figure out, this could be an 'interosseous strain', a stress fracture, or morton's neuroma. pain & swelling in the space between the first & second metatarsals. have to hobble. The reason I'm asking is mainly this... one book says if it's the strain (a muscle tear) to move the toes to avoid scarring. Yet if it could be a stress fracture, I'd think that would be something to avoid. Has anyone had experience with this that you want to share.. maybe a description of the symptoms you had?
        Yep...you name it, I've had it. It could very well be a stress fracture...your podiatrist will know. If it is, ask him about shoe inserts. Cost only about $12...doc will tell you where to get them and what kind. Take the inserts out of your shoes and put these in...and never take them out. In the meantime, if you really want to run, go to the dollar store and stock up on kitchen sponges. Cut them in half and stick a bunch in your shoe. Then ice down your heel for 20 minutes. Obviously a temporary solution but two years ago I ran a 10K like that. ...but don't try to hit a curveball. DrG
        evanflein

Thanks Tammy. It seems like everything snowballed on me this week and I realized I had to change the way I do things. Running during the day is one change. I can only do it a couple, maybe three times a week but it'll work for the shorter runs (5-6 miles or less). Otherwise, I just can't do it all in my lunch hour break. I have a very understanding boss who also runs so that's really helpful. This helps because the days I'll run at lunch are the heavy soccer nights (Tues/Thurs) until school starts in mid-August. I still need to work out a plan with DH on the apartment... we have to have that thing rented by August 1! We've counted on that income for all the years we've been there, and to go almost a year without it has been hard. I think it's doable... DH seems open to having someone come help with parts of it we've been hung up on. The plumbing problems we ran into (and have since fixed) really knocked the wind out of his sails, so to speak, and he's felt down about the whole thing ever since. So... onward and upward and one box at a time, right? It felt hot hot hot today out on the trail. I just checked the temps now (three hours later) and it's 77F and 22% humidity. Felt hotter than that, but I got 6 miles in just over 50 minutes. A good workout, ended with the last mile of the Equinox course... you hit a really mean hill at mile 25... yes, I walked a bit. Had a meeting at 1:30 I made with ample time, but I sat and sweated all flushed and drippy for awhile... Deb, ask Soundie about the foot stress fracture... I checked with my podiatrist for all those things, and the diagnosis was a bruised metatarsal caused by my weird toes... I'm dealing with it.
          Dave59

(pay no attention to this....)

3 Easy miles 10 minute pace, close to 90 and very humid. ( note to self: don't drink frozen caramal latte just before running in the heat) Ugh! Came home and lifted weights again . 2nd time this week I am on a roll. Tongue Whats with all the injuries here? I hope its not catching. Shocked Hope everyone heals quickly. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

King of PhotoShop

Good Morning Recovery run for me today. 4 miles in 41:05 10:17 min/mile pace. Besides getting me to slow down and run less miles some days, these recovery runs allow me to run with some of my running partners who run slower than I do. Today I ran part of the way with a guy who helped me get back into runnning. He used to be alot faster than I was but age (he is now 79) and injuries have slowed him down alot. It was really fun running with him today. Up until about a year ago when he injured his hip while running he was still doing 7:30 min/mile pace in 5k races! He hopes to be able to do the 4th of July 5k that I am running in. I have friends coming to visit from San Diego today, so I better get going. Have a great day everyone. Bruce
                Bruce, I am way younger than this guy is, and believe me, I know what that 10+ per mile pace is. I am glad of two things: that you took it easy today, and that you spent some time running with an older, but pretty tough guy. I bet he is full of knowledge of running. I hope you do more miles with him. Also hope you are recovering well and have another good plan for your next objective. Great post. Spareribs