Masters Running

Tuesday, 12.8.15 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lots of good stuff in yesterday's posts: Good runs; sunny Florida; horseshoe crabs turning into spaceships; Radiolab (a treasure); running shoes (with a focus on Brooks); a voice from soggy Singapore; and computer advice (our first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80, which had a 64K cassette drive - every one since then have been Macs, up to my current MacBook Air laptop). Sadly, I have no time to comment as I have to get going to a 3-hour meeting this morning - a quarterly work session with an dyanmic local group, so it'll be productive.

I slept well until about 2:15 this morning, then not so well from then on. I have a long day today, so I stayed in this morning to try to get a few extra zzzs instead of going out for a workout. I was moderately successful... So it goes.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Ran 5 miles this morning in the fog.

My new PC arrived late yesterday afternoon. I have started the long process of getting it set-up. I was disappointed in some of the stuff Lenovo had on system.  I switched anti-virus software to Kaspersky from what was loaded and it took 2 different anti-Malware programs to finally find and remove some program that would randomly start playing an audio advertisement.  That kind of thing shouldn't even be legal to do to a new computer.

I haven't tried PCmover yet, but I will later today if work doesn't burn me out too much.

But it is a pretty sharp system and very fast. One program I run was getting bigger with every update and getting slower and slower to run. Now it loads and runs in a snap. (Which was the main reason for the upgrade.)

Slo

Hi Jay...Dave! And Everybody Else.

Soooooo....who's going to give me the masters daily recap for the last 5 months? I'm not even going to pretend that I tried staying current.

Work completely took over my life but I'm glad to say that things are getting back to normal...except for my running. That's practically non-existent but we'll work on bringing that back too.

K...back to the grind.

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks for all the computer info; you are great.  It's DH's decision to make, I am just trying to s l o w  d o w n the process a bit to allow for reading some reviews and considering what others have experienced.  Really appreciate your time and comments and believe me, we will go over everything!

except not prolly going to get a Radio Shack....that made me smile, as a very dear Legal Service director in MA invested in RS computers when we first went over to computers and got ribbed for that for some years.

How do you all feel about genetically modified salmon?

Ah yes, running!  It was below 60 this am!  So excited, I did 8 miles again.  And a running chum who lives in Rapid City is coming here for our little local marathon this weekend, along with his wife, who is doing the half and their daughter and SIL.

Jay, do you drink a lot of coffee?

grins,

A

ps--hiya Slo---yes, start training, as we're planning on you in Green Bay in May.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Computers - I have a Lenovo here at work and it works great.  We have an Asus laptop that I don't care for.  The battery life sucks.  Haven't looked into whether or not we can get a battery with a longer life.

Jay - I hear ya on the 2:00?? wakey wakey-ness.  My eyes usually pop open around 2:00 or so, and then I try to lay as still as possible or, inevitably, Wilson hears me and comes a-running.  And even if I'm sleeping, around that time is when he decides it's time he wants under the covers. 

Aamos - Not sure how I feel about genetically modified anything. I'm not an organic buyer, simply because I can't afford it, but the jury's out for me on the modified stuff. . . . . Although, I guess an argument could be made that unless it's organic it's modified to some extent.  Dunno.

It took me awhile to drag my rear out of bed this a.m., but I'm glad I finally did.  The first 2 miles, the legs were pretty heavy, but then things perked up and my final 4 miles were pretty darn spoinky.  I even passed a guy who's been running around here for years, but he probably has 10 years on me, so I can't get too cheeky about it.  Come to think of it, this morning is the first time I've ever seen him out running predawn, but then I'm usually up and out at least a half hour earlier . . .

Have a good day ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

COMPUTERS
              jay - I still have one of those Radio Shack then-gems I used to love but just got a super-thin touch-tone screen Asus to replace my aged HP and IBM Think Pad (now Levono from China).  I loved it for the skype I could use for 2-cents-per-minute calls from Japan but it jumps all over the place and brings up Skype with I’m trying to type in the Word Perfect I love too or Goggle Chrome which seemingly changes to an advertisement if I just look at the wrong icon so I’m still using HP with IBM back up.  yuk.

RUNNING IN THE RAIN
              rats, after yesterday’s one-inch rainfall was predicted to turn nasty with up to three inches today, my plans to enjoy the first full-fledged maelstrom of the winter fizzled with but slight sprinkles this morning so I wimped out on the bike again at a balmy 52-degrees.  Fortunately, there was enough wind and precipitation to get good-and-soaked on the leeward side while crossing the floating bridges.  However, looking forward to a rainy/windy runpopo on the way back though if storm conditions improve as predicted. In the meantime, if

anyone is finally emerging from last month's rains down there, send us your rain, your wind and cold for our huddled masses yearning to run through the storm with our heads up high, never afraid of the dark, . . . yippee. no wonder I love running so much.

How do you all feel about genetically modified salmon?

GMO SALMON
              Amy - any Atlantic salmon and most Pacific salmon of the genus/species “Oncorhynchus kisutch," mostly marketed as just plain “salmon” and  “silver” or “coho” salmon, respectively, without much differentiation, have already been bred in floating pens for decades to mature faster to market size on their own than their natural counterparts. However, by injecting newly-fertilized eggs with the DNA from the larger Pacific Ocean king (or chinook) salmon (O. tshawytscha) and the fast-maturing  ocean pout, an elongated, eel-like blennioid from New England (Zoarces americanus), the newly-approved GMO Atlantics and coho (or silvers), do it even faster, in half, or less, the time of the naturals. http://www.intrafish.com/news/article1426209.ece

Since their long migrations up the longest rivers of the West  Coast, e.g. Columbia, Yukon, etc., imbue kings with the richest omega three oils, they are not only the most scrumptiously delicious of the various salmon but also pretty good for you too so maybe the new super cohos will taste better too.
              In the meantime, it’s going to take longer than my body has to find out they’re bad for me so, as long as I live where I can’t catch them economically on my own any more, if the price is halved too, I’ll give them a try and let you know.  Unfortunately, as with GMO vegetables (corn, soy, etc.), there’s no labeling to let us know. oh well.
              ps er-Mao: treadmill miles do not count in Singapore, especially at 5am.

Go run on the beach or up to Mt. Faber. Get sweaty and enjoy it, or if not,

at least, to say you did it and didn't.

Besides, it’s one of the safest countries in the world.

However, I am very surprised about the mid-day joggers.

Sounds like a good place to lose weight, . . . e xcept for the delicious foods

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

COMPUTERS-

..........something that can drive you insane, and then bill you every month......

==============

...........30-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris

theKiddo's  Learn To Swim Program is still going on

and

I just get in a work-out when they drag them out of the pool

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SteveP

Thank you for getting us started, Jay. I hope you sleep better tonight.

Dave, I remember when it was a big deal playing  tic-tac-toe against a computer in Toronto.  Then a WYSE system  where I could chat via satellite.  The ladies were so lucky.

Not sure about the salmon, Amy.  I'll wait and see what the hippies have to say about it. Then make a decision.

Leslie, I was at an organic farm market in sunny Florida today. DW is going to love her souvenirs! Organic sweet potatoes and tumeric roots.

Dear old dad insisted I watch Supergirl with him last night.  He doesn't care for it himself. He simply thought it was something I might enjoy.   Not really. But bless his heart.  Is anybody else bothered by the fact that she has pierced ears?   I still woke up at 4:30 AM. I half hour earlier than I had wanted.  Life goes on.   Another beautiful 10 miles along the Gulf of Mexico!  Every squirrel I so I made me miss my dog even more.  Don't get me started about the ice cream shops.

SteveP

Steve, nice couple of 10 milers in Florida.  Slo, it's good to hear from you.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 30s and there was a little wind.  I did 6 miles at an 11:36 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

moebo

Aamos, thanks for recommending that Radio Lab. I will definitely check it out. A few I have enjoyed recently:

Staph Retreat

Birthstory

American Football

On computers: II also have an ASUS laptop with a terrible battery life. Like Holly, I got mine on sale from Newegg.com (paid about $350  four years ago). Not ideal but it's reasonably fast and still working pretty well, so I'm sticking with it. I just got a new battery on Amazon for about $25.

SteveP, I am not a fan of Supergirl but just finished Jessica Jones on Netflix and loved it!

I've run about 8 miles in my new ASICS GEL-Nimbus over the past couple of days--so far so good.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

rain abated thereby thwarting the evening's planned rainy run back

so I just rode the bike again. Had stuff to carry in the rack anyway..

Maybe better luck getting miserable and wet tomorrow.  I hope so.

I also have an ASUS laptop with a terrible battery life.

The one on my Asus Ultrabook (which is spelled "upside-down 'V'" so I never knew how to pronounce it until now) is so un-ultra, it is internally fixed and can't be exchanged for a fresh battery on long plane rides as does my HP which has two extra  batteries for typing reports to help me stay awake all the way for the evening arrivals in Japan thereby easing the 17-hour difference jet lag on the ten hour flight.  Morning arrivals in Seattle on the way back dictate sleeping as much as possible which, fortunately, is easy for me to do, not only on planes but anywhere else too

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)