Masters Running

What are my chances for qualifying for Boston? (Read 483 times)

#artbydmcbride

Oooh, yes come and run Surf City! Smile And bring Jim24315 with you.

Runners run

huskydon

Hello all, I thank all those who responded - your encouragement and support means the world to me. The fact that several of the responses came from runners who I really respect and highly regard in these matters is also very heartening. Thank you so much for your careful thought and consideration to my situation. I am just not a fan of the 3-4 month marathon program, I just don't think my body builds up strength that quickly. You know how some people say to increase the mileage 10% a week? I think 10% a month is more like it. In spring '06, I trained for a marathon but encountered ITBS a few weeks before the race. I just feel like to avoid injury, I want to be very gentle with the increases in mileage, but I am pretty patient about these things, so it is ok. I have gradually built up from 20 to 25 to 30 mpw (it's taken years) and it just seems better to take the next step to 5 times a week & 36 mpw. I am in no hurry, but having a feasible Boston goal will make it easier. I still feel like I want to be able to run a 1:45 or 1:46 half in order to have some margin in the marathon. (I am an engineer, so I think that way). But I believe that if I up my mileage from 30 to 36 to 42, then that half marathon time should be quite attainable. I guess my takeaway (for right now) is that it is possible, but I need to build up mileage for awhile to have a good strong base to be able to hold my speed for longer and to build the specific marathon training. Thanks again.