Masters Running

Thoisday's Daily, 9.26.13 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Wow - I can't wait to see what today's reports bring! Yesterday was a wonderful mixed bag, and there was even some running (and pool work and walking) mixed in!

Tramps, our first computer was a TRS80 with a cassette (meaning old-fashioned audio cassette) drive- still have it down in the basement.

I agree, Ribs and CNY, that getting feedback from clients is essential to a successful business, even if it can be painful at times.

Speaking of painful, how are you Leslie? Good luck with that long drive today! I've heard of a lot of different tricks with Coke bottles, but TomW's tops (or bottoms) them all.

I doubt i got the brogue anywhere near close to right for Tet's Lancashire Ballad, but enjoyed it anyway.

Lot of talk about what to wear (or not) going to, and in the pool...

CNY, years ago, we lived a block away from Central Park, just above the Met, and I loved running (yep, I ran back then) in the Park. It is such a great oasis in the middle of the city.

Excellent splits, Mike! Not surprised that you wouldn't let the guy pass you, even in your cool down. It's a good thing you're not competitive! Wink

Sometime in the middle of the night, I woke up while I was telling DW that I was setting the clock on my bedstand - the clock that sets itself automatically via satellite. She asked this morning what that was all about, and I had no idea. Takes me back to when I used to walk/talk in my sleep.

6.6 racewalking miles at 4 this morning. I felt good, and decided to do some mile fartleks (I did them in the dark, so would they be darklets?). I let it all out in miles 2, 4, and 6, and eased up a bit between. We had cloud cover this morning, so the moonlight was muted and diffused, casting a very soft light on the neighborhood. I can't see the colors on my workouts, but on the way to the office I've been watching the fall colors creeping into the trees. It sure is gorgeous - just as Wildchild's aspens are so rich with color this time of the year.

Enjoy your Thoisday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay, and all that follow.

Nothing of any major import to offer.  Just that it was at least 10 degrees warmer this morning than forecast, so had to make a trip back upstairs to replace the long sleeve shirt and gloves with short sleeves.  54° and calm--pretty close to IRC, I'd say.  4 miles around the lake.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sometime in the middle of the night, I woke up while I was telling DW that I was setting the clock on my bedstand - the clock that sets itself automatically via satellite. She asked this morning what that was all about, and I had no idea. Takes me back to when I used to walk/talk in my sleep.

One of the known side effects of the medication I'm taking is nightmares.  Fortunately I've had no nightmares, but the dreams?  Oh my gosh.  I have many dreams, most every night; most quite vivid - many that I remember the next morning.  I actually kind of enjoy this side effect.  Others, not as much.

Good luck Leslie.  My brother had a boil when we were kids and I still remember that.  I suspect he does too.

Holly, glad to hear the Services went well.  You were Angel to her throughout.

I've been researching SUV's lately and yesterday I decided to Order a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I happened upon the TrueCar.com website a few weeks ago.  And due to a dealer I found via that site, and my other research on other sites, for probably the first and only time in my life, I KNOW I got a amazing price on this car.  And I didn't have to even go into a showroom.

My running has been progressing slow but sure.  Still H&H, but getting near the end of it.  I got myself up to a 12 mile run last Sunday and felt good about that.  DW and I are going on our Cruise the end of next week, so that will clobber my running no doubt.  But it'll come back after.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

I've only been to NYC once and went to Central Park to run around a little bit.  I made sure to get up by the lake/pond where Dustin Hoffman ran in Marathon Man.  Logistics were kind of weird since I was at a tech conference in NJ, but I found a YMCA to stash my stuff and take a shower when I was done.  Then I just had to carry a backpack with sweaty clothes back to NJ.  That must have been 20-25 years ago.  Makes me feel old.

Bergre1 is back!  You probably got a good deal on the Grand Cherokee because no one wants them. Roll eyes  Big grin  At least that's what my daughter's boyfriend told me.  He has a "jeep" Jeep.  Canvas top and all.

Wild - thanks for noticing my tag line attempt to quit being negative about everything.  I read some good reviews on "Death by Living" so I picked up a copy.  It wasn't what I expected but it isn't bad.  It's sort of a personal story about the author, his grandparents, and the unlikelihood that he even exists.  The twist and turns that happened in their lives.

Do the forks and spoons go into the ground pointing up, or does the forked and curve ends go down?  Does anyone ever use sporks to save time?

I understood what jlynne was saying yesterday about jumping in the pool with her bathing suit on under her clothes.  You have to be careful skimming forum posts or you never know what you are going to misread.  (I know because I do it all the time.)

I ran 5.76 yesterday with 7x2 minutes at 5k pace.  Today was an easy 3 miles.

I have to bake some cookies today for a toastmasters' area contest tonight.  I volunteered to be a judge and bring snacks.  I wish we had some long, meaningless conference call today.  That's when I do my best baking.  Personally I think if the speakers competing brought the snacks it might reflect good on my judging.  Wink

Tomorrow I head to the Buffalo area for a weekend family reunion.  Hopefully my younger daughter will go.  She was planning on it but then got sick.

Just saw this story about a woman who won a marathon by accident:

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/features/2013/09/25/woman-enters-half-marathon-ends-up-winning-full-by-mistake/index.html

I had an unexpected run this morning  - going back to the vet for Little Walter's paw - so will be late to work and my run was solo ;( I think he has a boil.

Tet - no chain link fence around Walden. I am trying to post a photo - let's see if this works.

Walden Pond

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Tramps

Mike—awesome tempo runs.  Those are some impressive paces.

Jay—I just assumed all the pre-dawn walking was walking in your sleep. Wink

I love running in Central Park, too.  I get to NY for work a couple of times a year and I’m usually in the same hotel near Penn Station.  So I run north through Times Square up to the park and do at least a loop around the reservoir.  It’s a special run.  I see more runners in a day than I do at home in a year, literally.

Byll’s post reminds me to mention that, due to a freak accident, we’re suddenly and unexpectedly in the car market.  It’s crazy really.  On our narrow dirt road, DW swerved to avoid…wait for it…a squirrel!  (I kid you not.)  Apparently, the car skidded on the loose gravel just enough so that the front wheels went over the edge of the road into a small ditch.  The momentum pitched the car forward into a tree.  The impact was so modest that the air bags didn’t even go off.  But our Honda Fit has a tiny engine compartment so hitting a tree just right meant bending the front frame, resulting in a busted radiator, AC, and lots of other things.  DW was able to drive the car to the collision place but with the high mileage we have on a 6 year old inexpensive car, it turns out the cost of repairs are nearly equal to the value of the car, so the insurance company wants to total it.  We’ve looked into buying the salvage title but it’s probably not worth it.  So, it’s car buying time.

We’re looking for something with good gas mileage, enough cargo space for DW’s bike, but as small as we can get.  We hit a few dealers last night just looking at Subaru Outbacks and Imprezzas, a Toyota Prius V, the VW Jetta and Golf diesel wagons/hatchbacks, and the Honda Fit and CR-V.  Most of them are bigger than we need but we have to do something pretty quickly.  Ugh.

On the bright side, TriBee’s a little embarrassed by this whole thing and I’ve been milking it for a week now, telling her reassuring things like:  “Don’t worry about it.  Accidents happen.  We’re fortunate in that we can afford a car.  The important thing is that….the squirrel is safe.” Big grin

Not-so-EZ 15 today.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I like how LaT. sneaks in a picture of some other woman and pretends it's her.  By the way, who is that cute blonde in the picture? I think I've seen her before.

Normally I post in the morning and don't get back to see how the rest of the day's posts went, so I miss the naked women in the pool, boils and other neat stuff.  What a great day on the forum Wednesday was.

I make friends with authors. If I like a book I'll write to the author and tell him or her, and they almost always write back.  I've had a few exchanges with a really cool guy, Alex Berenson, who writes these thrillers about John Wells, CIA agent, and Al Qaeda infiltrator. Lots of drama.  he wrote to tell me he is running the NYC Marathon to raise money for a charity, so I'm going to do a piece about him in the running blog.  Should be fun.

Did 4.5 miles today, fairly brisk run considering a bit of track work yesterday, so I am pronouncing myself all recovered from my race.  May even do a 5K on Saturday, who knows?  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Tramps - glad Tribee and the squirrel are both okay!   Good luck with the car search.  (I love my Subaru Forester.)

Hey Byllger, glad to see you!  Nice 12 miler.  Enjoy the cruise!

Jay - I can't picture you living in NYC -  you just seem like a more rural type, I guess!
                  Dave, I was also wondering which way the forks and spoons go... 
                  Mike, I'm glad you're liking the Hanson's training plan.  And dang, you sure are speedy!

There's no elevation profile posted for the Sundance Trail 50k I'm running on Saturday, so I posted on their Facebook page asking for one.  This is the response:

Start to Mile 3 - climb 1000',  Mile 3 to mile 8 - descend 1500', Mile 8 to Mile 13 - climb 1500', Mile 13 to Mile 17 descend 1000', Mile 17 to Mile 22 - climb 1000', Mile 22 to 24 descend 1000', Mile 24 to mile 29 - climb 1000', Mile 29 to finish descend 1000'. This is a rough profile to help you out.

Now I'm kind of sorry I asked...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R

Hey all. sitting at starbucks between meetings and people watching tinatown area. interesting stuff.

Got a nice run along the mall at sunrise. it seems so peaceful for a city that seems to always be at odds per the nes. well guess only the politcos.

Sounds like some nice running by all and cookies from Dave too. nice

Back home tomorrow thankfully and was reminded that we really need to listen to our customers (and other too).

Cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

What a great location Jay when you lived in NYC! Perfect for those CP runs. Tet, I ran the outer loop and that's just over six miles. There are a variety of loops and of course the first NYC marathon course was loops solely in the park----not through all five boroughs as is done these days. A run in CP is a must-do whenever I travel to NYC.

Sorry you are in the car market suddenly Tramps, but glad that Tribee is okay and apparently so is a spastic squirrel! I swear they wait at the side of the road to dart under the wheels. I love our Subarus...we have an Outback and a Legacy.

Glad you are making your way back Breger and that the dreams are not nightmares.

Ran a mellow paced six miles this morning. I am racing a 30k on Sunday, so mellow is best for the next few days. It's a team race and in Nahant with a start and finish at the beach.

Today is Mountain Day at Smith Colege (my alma mater) and the bells toll and chime first thing in the morning so students can take advantage of a beautiful fall day and explore the mountains. Of course many sleep -in, drive to Boston to shop, go to the library etc. I did head to the VT mountains  with two of my freshman buddies on Mountain Day in 1982 and it was such a fabulous day. I am glad the tradition continues.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wildchild - are you sure it's not 1,000 feet from mile 1 to mile 30?

Tet - no chain link fence around Walden. I am trying to post a photo - let's see if this works.

Walden Pond

LaT - thanks for the beautiful photo, . . of Walden Pond too.
                        It's way bigger than I thought, kind of like the ocean out here..

Central Park's big too.

This morning’s thinning maiden moon enticed me into another 4-miler, somehow strong with thoughts of the same moon over Walden Pond and making me glad that I decided not to look it up in Wikipedia or search for images that might show fences and houses right up to the shoreline like out here that would ruin the idyllic image painted for me by Henry Thoreau over all these years.  Thanks to you LaT, for some reason, my new image of yo, .. I mean of Walden Pond is even more beautiful than before.
                        ps - do you have a swimming one, especially with an umbrella?. I like that..

me too on the forks and spoons.  Totally weird.

Maybe chopsticks too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

LaT - thanks for the beautiful photo, . . of Walden Pond too.

oh, right--there is water in that picture.

...My Congratulations to jylnne on finding a way of making New Friends at the Pool............Big grin

pretty Fall Picture LT//////

=============

double weight sessions with 15-min xbike alt up and down

....good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

So I had a few minutes to kill and I did a google image search on lawn forking (with my safe search set on just in case.)  It appears that at least two thirds of the pictures have the forks and spoons pointing up, but there were a number of pictures with the forked end in the ground.  Apparently there is no regulatory body enforcing things one way or the other.

I could find no evidence of lawn sporking which I find kind of sad.  I love the spork.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I could find no evidence of lawn sporking which I find kind of sad.  I love the spork.

it is a little tough to eat soup with them, though.