Masters Running

It's Wednesday and no one else started the daily 2-6-13 (Read 43 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I've probably jinxed myself, but thought I'd sneak in.

this link is for Carolyn http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/02/05/curtis_cooper_has_found_the_new_largest_prime_number.html

And I did 3.1 miles on a lovely powder snow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mornin' stumpy//........

Quick suggestion for Format Problem,

Single Click on ''Compatability Setting''...........I had been Double Clicking on it.

===========

also

World's Best Answer-

I asked Claire if she would Trade her MiMi for a pony

''Yes'

then

her MiMi asked her if she would trade her GrandDaddy for a pony

''No, because who would I play with??''

32min poolrun..................GoodRunning guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning guys. Wow, Tom. You have to feel pretty special that you rank higher than a pony Smile You must be doing something right, grandpa.

Hey Kevin - good luck with the marathon training. You're going to do great!

Glad you're okay Steve - we always knew you were a "special case." Your boss sounds like a class A jerk, btw.

Hugs to Enke and hope that you're doing okay.

I've been lurking but not posting. I fell after a run a couple of weeks ago. Nasty stuff. I finally went to the doctor on Monday. No stress fractures or anything which is good because my first thought was that I reinjured my back as well. She thinks it's a torn left hamstring. No running for at least 4 weeks and doesn't even want me using the eliptical or pool running for a while. I'm 60 years old and know my fitness level is going to disappear quickly. I'm so bummed out. And this isn't even factoring in the "weight" issues I'll be facing not being able to work out. Does anyone have any experience with hamstring injuries? What's the worst case scenario?

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite – Smile

Jlynne – this is the best time of year to rest and recover, when it’s cold and yucky out.  Rest.  Recover.  You will thank yourself when the warm weather arrives and you are able to run.  Trust me, as somone who tried to run through a hamstring issue and made it last much longer because of it.

My new mini-blender came with a recipe book, and I went to a health food store this weekend to pick up some recommended “super foods” to put in our smoothies: flax seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, goji berries, and hemp seeds.  My son texted his friends and said, “I just bought some hemp with my mom.  She says it’s good for me.”

With spring around the corner, it’s time to drag my lazy sluggish butt into some speedier paces.  Started slow with this on the TM this morning:

1 mile WU

4 miles of (2 min. @ 8:34/1 min. @ 10:00/1 min. @ 8:34/1 min. @ 10:00)

5 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne, ditto to Holly's comment on the hamstring. I kept trying to run over a pulled hamstring and was more or less out of commission months longer than I expected. Things do take longer to heal "at our age," but you should be able to do some sort of leg-involved exercise and conditioning before too long -- just not hard running!

For some reason, I thought it was at least 20F when I left to meet a friend to run on the Paint Creek Trail at 8AM today, but when I pulled into the parking lot it was only 12F! Fortunately it was sunny (sun barely up, though) and I remembered my balaclava and other gear. Given how snowy the trail was, we probably would have picked another venue, but managed to do a 6-mile out-and-back at a reasonable pace. There were no traction issues, but it was a lot more tiring than running on a harder surface.

By the time we got back, the temperature really had risen to about 20 and I was toasty warm as dressed. Too bad it took me about 20 years of running to finally figure out what really works in which conditions!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

lamerunner

Good morning, coming out of lurkdom briefly. Jlynne, I had a hamstring tear last Spring, about grade 2. I took about 8 weeks completely  off running, but I was able to do elliptical pretty much immediately and also swim. Elliptical limits the range of motion of your legs so it seemed ok. I also did LOTS of PT, with massage, stretching and strengthening work, for months.  It took a while but eventually the running fitness came back, mostly. Of course now my knee is rebelling so the return to running was a bit short-lived that time.  Good luck with it!

My knee has quieted down a little but still not much running. I ran twice last week. Lots of elliptical  and a bit of cycling, swimming, hiking on weeekends. I may be able to try some gel injections; we shall see. I would feel much better if I could get back to some level of regular running. I have been getting out one of the weekend days most weekends and doing  a decent hike/snowshoe.  That has been fun. We are in the emiddle of ski race season for DS   so things are busy.  We lost  a lot of snow with the rain and warm weather followed by cold, so the ground was a bit icy last week.  Microspikes work well.

This morning was 65 mins elliptical plus some weights and abs. I may try to swim later if time permits.

Nice to see Karin! Mariposai, feel better. Good running to everyone.

King of PhotoShop

Yes, Mariposai, that is the Joe who is running Boston with me.  He is also a very speedy Ironman competitor.

6 miles in a balmy drizzle this morning.  Off to work.  Spareribs

[[[[jlynne ]]]]]

..........maybe x-bike

or poolrunning (later on) in the deep end of the pool without touching bottom??????

Dave59

I'm afraid to ask my granddaughter if she would trade me for a pony.  She would say yes and then badger me until I finally got her one.  No sense giving her ideas.

I snuck out for 4.45 at lunch.  They shuffled the deck chairs at work and it made my job (temporarily I hope) more difficult.

Who knew that the pattern of prime numbers is a clue to the structure of reality?  That is pretty cool.  Euclid's Elements is on my list of books I want to read.  I better push it up the list closer to the top.

Mariposai

TomW, cute, just too cute.

Stumpy, cool new avatar.

Ohh Jlynne, I am so sorry to hear about your hamstring issue.  I think we have a few people here, twocat included, who have had some issues with their hamstring. Maybe they can answer your question.

Here is a link on pulled hamstring I found on the Health and Nutrition forum.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/778916a4f95d48cf8a7ce446d98c1800/resume#focus

and...

Here is this to make you smile!

Still at home sick. Breathing is getting to be less painful and my voice sounds horrible, I have been told Wink. By this afternoon I should find out if what I have is viral or bacterial. I am taking antibiotics and the Dr. said that if I don't start feeling better by this afternoon what I have is viral and to expect to run it's course in 7 to 10 days.

Rays of sunshine is always good! Always!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the compatibility idea tom. However. like the elusive "download" button or link in how to post photos that I don't seem have, I don't seem to have anything that indicates compatible or not either.  Not sure what to blame being incompatible on; I can always blame being insensitive on how my feet are that makes it possible to run barefoot so much. .

dave/mike - the formatting is fine on the libarary's high speed internet connections so it's not my RA account but must be something to do with my ancient dial-up connection on my laptop.

thanks.

ps - glad you're getting well before all you spring/summer marathons mari.  Very happy from ilene's Intrepid that I get to see you at the start of at least two of them (and finish too if you can wait around for a couple of hours).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jlynne the good news is that the type of hamstring injury you describe will heal.  The bad news is, as you noted, it will take time.  On the upside it will give all of your other ligaments and joints a rest and you may find that you come back stronger than when you left.

roachrunner tough spot!  I have a no running outside under 20 rule.  But seeing as you were already there . . . glad it worked out though.

tetsujin209 I have no idea what tomwhite is talking about either.  Confused

Spareribs I saw on the news today's weather forecast for Dallas.  All I can say is that I am glad you lacked the time for a longer post!

If I wanted to run outside today I had to get going by 6am.  In the dark.  Last night we got a dusting of snow and I did not want to risk slipping on ice while trying to navigate by just the light of a headlamp.  So, down to the TM I went.  Sad  I got in my 10 miles.  My first double digit run since starting up again!  But, now I can no longer remember my name . . . where I came from . . . where am I now . . . I wonder if shock therapy would help . . .Dead

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Ouch Jlynne! Please take care of yourself and heal up!

Sorry you're still under the weather Mariposai... feel better!

Glad to hear that SteveP is back to his abnormal sense of normal....

Enke, hope you and your kids are managing ok... hugs to you....

I ran 10 miles today too, but outside. Weather wasn't so bad.... but for some reason maintaining a measly 9:45 pace took quite a bit more effort than previous times. Maybe because those other times it wasn't on the sixth day in a row where I'm running 50+ mpw? I'm always so quick to compare ripe apples with rotten oranges (the metaphor makes sense, trust me), but that's got to stop already. Just because the task at hand was hard for me today, doesn't mean I'm weak. Maybe if I keep saying that over and over again, it'll finally sink in.

...tet and twocat//...........it's at the top of your screen next to the ''Refresh'' tab

, looks like this

ie8_compatibility

Bookmark and Share

Tags: IE, IE8, internet, Upgrade Browser
                              Posted in BF News | Comments Off

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

TW--that little symbol is not in the location you are showing on my computer.  I'm assuming it is not on Tet's either.  I did find it under Tools and "added" Running Ahead to whatever it asked me if I wanted to add it to, but that did nothing, either.

No run, today, just 46 minutes of weights plus 3 minutes of planks.

Okay--that's it.  Gotta go