Masters Running

Stevie Ray's Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon Report (Read 174 times)

xor

Here is a report for a quirky marathon... 26.2 miles of gentle, rail-to-trails downhill. All downhill. Oh yeah. With a 2.3 mile long dark tunnel at the beginning. "If you see one light, that's just the other end of the tunnel. If you see two lights, one is probably a mountain bike." All downhill. Fast, right? Not for me it wasn't. Especially with only one heel's worth of skin on two heels. As always, links to reports for 100ish other marathons and ultras can be found on my schedules over there.

#artbydmcbride

Hmmm, I would like a downhill race, I think! But they are tough I hear. You did great! Smile

Runners run

xor

There are downhill races and then there are DOWNHILL races. St George is DOWNHILL. Tucson is DOWNHILL. (though both have ups along the way). Tunnel is merely downhill. Much easier on the quads, though still challenging.

Hey nice report even though you had a cruddy race. The thought of running "the light at the end of the tunnel" marathon is irresistable to me. Rail trails, all downhill, dark damp tunnel.... I think the organizer is going to have enormous interest next year. And now from reading your report, I will know what to expect if I sign up. Thanks. Loved the 200% humidity line Big grin

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Your heel might have still been unhappy running without any skin for the third weekend in a row but you sure were flying when you passed some of us early starters at mile 16 with Trail-Runner-of-the-Year Van Phan hot on your heels. My glasses not only fogged in the tunnel (and ended up in fanny pack for the rest of the run) but old faithful Ironman Timex is still steamed up so the rare mile markers in a trail run were for naught. Sad

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

xor

The race will be moved to mid-June next year. Cooler temps probably, but much more likely to be rainy. Also, it looks like the RD is going to expand the size from max 125 to max 200. Jon, I was only in front of Van for a few minutes after you saw me. She gained 14 minutes on me over 10 miles. That's how badly I faded (coupled with how smart she ran).

huskydon

thanks for the report even though your performance was not up to your expectations. It seems like quite a novel race and the RD deserves credit for all his work, especially considering the increase in the number of runners. The race is moving to June? Sounds like a lot of races up in the Seattle area that month. huskydon
                Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Not many if any like that race! Thanks for sharing another one of your RRs. I don't respond often, but I do follow your meanderings about the country. BR
                  Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
                    http://barefootrunner.org