Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.3.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Good for you for adding core work to your routine, Tramps.

With your weather, it was a good day for indoor work yesterday, Holly.

Mariposai, we were expecting to get anywhere from 8" to up to 15" of snow, depending on who you listened to. We had about 5" by the end of the day yesterday, and it was supposed to keep snowing overnight and through this morning. It's still too dark to see what's out there. Good for you too for going core!

Glad you got the rooms cleaned, Dave, even if they ultimately weren't needed. At least you'll be ready for the next guests.

Nice 8er in the weather, Twocat. And smart move, going back to sleep yesterday morning. Good luck if you still make the trek to LI today.

Leslie, that news is tragic, and I am very sorry for your community's loss.Yes, an awful way to start the year.

I hope you got into work safely last night, Deeze. Good to plan ahead...

I wouldn't want to climb over a spiked gate either, Brilliant. Much better to add a couple of miles to your run.

Good run for you and your Yaks, Tselbes!

I'm glad your snow run was fun, LaT!

JBG, I was also wondering how one does 1.5 mile around their basement? You must have a very large basement, or you must be very dizzy.

Nice running on some tough snow, Evanflein. I'm glad you are being attentive to preventive health issues.

I didn't realize that my workout yesterday morning in 15F temps was at the warmest part of the day. By the time I got home in the evening and did some snow-blowing and shoveling, it was down to 4 and windy and still snowing. Luckily, when it is that cold, the snow is usually dry and fluffy and easy to move around. This morning's temp is 1F with a wind chill somewhere around -20. There is wind-blown snow on the windows, and I really can't tell how much snow is on the ground. So I'm either being very smart, or a chicken, depending on your point of view, but either way, I'm not going out for a stroll around the neighborhood. However, I'll get in at least one more snow-blowing and shoveling cross-training session today, so it won't be a total loss. The high temp today is supposed to be 10, and tonight will be in the minus numbers. While some of you are thinking that's no big deal, it's a bit chilly for these parts.

Have a greta Friday, and stay warm and safe.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

-9° this morning made for a cold drive to the gym.  TM warm-up and some weights.

Got to hustle off to work before I lose my desire.

Henrun

Jay, greta summary as usual.

erika, just heard its warmer in Fairbanks than Boston and northeast.  Please keep it there on the future!

cross-training later on for the 14" of joy????  With wind chill of minus ??

Stay warm and we're jealous of the temps elsewhere.  2 weeks until we go to Costa Rica

guess who who wrote this?

happy Friday all!

Tramps

Good morning chilly friends.

I was ready for a little snow (just a couple of inches).  I was ready for the cold (just the mid-teens).  But 35 mile an hour wind on top of that?  Not so much.  I wimped out of my run and just did some core work this morning...in front of the toasty wood stove.  It's howling out there.

Stay warm.

Be safe. Be kind.

Here we got about 6".  But out on Long Island (where I needed to get to today) it was much worse and they closed one of the major highways (the Long Island Expressway, a.k.a. the world's longest parking lot).  That put the kibosh on my meeting.  Not good as it means I now have to fit it in next week which is a lot less convenient.

In running news:  none today was an elliptical day for me.  In moving news DW was no more receptive to heading out to Japan so that I can start the daily than she was with any of the other suggestions.    I guess I am going to have to learn to live with being a DNS day in and day out.  Sigh.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

janie b good

hello, everyone!  no new snow on the ground, but roads still too icy to run outside.

3.3 t'mill miles for me at the gym.  sooooo crowded at the gym (must be all the NY resolutions).

as to the basement running ... not sure I'd want to do it again.  full basement, but the turns seemed a little "tight" ... was a little worried my ankles might be sore this morning, but no problems!  btw, my basement is virtually empty ... just a washer/dryer down there, so seemed roomy enough.

I need to lose 10 pounds... and soon.  I feel super chubbers.  who was it-- back in the CR days-- that used to say they would think WWRD (what would a runner do?) when it came to making healthier food choices ... maybe Tammy or Ilene?  anyway, that's what I'm doing... asking that question before I eat anything... so far, it seems to be working.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

I need to lose 10 pounds... and soon.  I feel super chubbers.  who was it-- back in the CR days-- that used to say they would think WWRD (what would a runner do?) when it came to making healthier food choices ... maybe Tammy or Ilene?  anyway, that's what I'm doing... asking that question before I eat anything... so far, it seems to be working.

+1  Started out the year pretty well. The head cold eliminated any taste of the food I was eating. But then last night I fixed a big salad for dinner while DH ate some leftover lasagna. Since it was "clear the refrigerator of leftovers" night, I found some egg rolls that my brother-in-law had given to us at our family Christmas party. So I rewarded myself for having a healthy salad by eating two big shrimp egg rolls. At least I didn't use any sweet and sour sauce

Good luck to all our friends on the East coast. The predicted high temp here for next Monday/Tuesday is 20° below zero.  That's right, the HIGH temp. And with the wind chill it's supposed to feel like -45 to -50. I'm moving to Alaska where it's warm. Hey Erika - got an extra bed?

5 miles on the mill this morning. Signed up for a core class that starts next week. I'm excited!

Marathon Maniac #957

I need to lose 10 pounds... and soon.  I feel super chubbers. 

+2

Like all of you, we are in the deep freeze.  It was (-3) when I woke up, even without the wind chill.  And Tramps, you are so right - what's up with these high winds that are going with it?  Double whammy.

Being a work morning, I decide that it would take most of my available workout time to layer up and then peel off for a run in those conditions, so I ran on the TM instead.

4.5 miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Good luck to all our friends on the East coast. The predicted high temp here for next Monday/Tuesday is 20° below zero.  That's right, the HIGH temp. And with the wind chill it's supposed to feel like -45 to -50. I'm moving to Alaska where it's warm. Hey Erika - got an extra bed?

And today I went for a walk at lunchtime, 12° and almost no wind at all. Felt pretty good, although the sidewalk is really icy under the snow. We're going to enjoy a week or so of above normal temperatures to start the new year off! But.... keep in mind that our "normal" temps for early January are as cold or colder than what a lot of you are dealing with now! We don't usually have wind though, so that's always good.

I seem to have come through the holidays with only one additional pound... although I was up 4 from my fall weight before that. So... overall not bad. (5 lbs less than this time last year!)

Hang in there, frens! This won't last for long. I can tell because I'm sure we'll see -30 to -40 before mid-month, so that means you should be back to normal by then (right Mike E?).

New skirt in town

Erika is so much tuffer than I will ever be. Today's snow kept me indoors, but a late start to my workday let me get a comfortable 8-miler in before digging myself out and heading in to the office. I hope to get 10 miles in tomorrow and get myself on track for Boston.  I've been struggling with Week 5 of a cold/bronchitis thingie.  It mostly manifests with terrible hacking and coughing for about an hour after any sort of workout.  I'm on inhalers and Mucinex and have finished a course of Zithromax, but I've been down this road before.  Nothing to do but to wait it out, and avoid running in super cold weather.  This is proving verrrry difficult given our current weather patterns!!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Erika - I didn't realize that our weather had a name. I decided to run through the snowy streets into work today for my commute. It was so cold that the snow was squeaky. There were quite a few drifts, so it was a resistance run - much like running in the sand.

Robin - inhalers, mucinex, and a Z-pack sound about right. Take care!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  No run for me, tonight.  I'm running a local 5k, tomorrow, so I'm "tapering".  I looked in my log to see what I did it in, last year, and saw that I didn't do it last year.  I almost always do this race...then I remembered that I was sick.

Yeah--so tonight, it's 21--the warmest it's been for weeks--and I'm not running.  The temps start dropping now--it should still be about 13at race time--but the temps continue their downward spiral through Monday--when the highis 9 below.  The governor has already cancelled school for Monday (by the way--I don't remember school ever being cancelled for being too cold when I was a kid)  Anyway--it's gonna be cold.

Hang in there, frens! This won't last for long. I can tell because I'm sure we'll see -30 to -40 before mid-month, so that means you should be back to normal by then (right Mike E?).

I can't wait for normal!  Enjoy your heat wave, while you can, Erika!

Mariposai

Take care Dr. Robin. Boston is still ways away .

Erika, you deserve a little break from your weather. How did the house cleaning project go?

Brilliant, how was your holiday running?

MikeE, good luck on  your race today.

Hi Janie b good. Yeah, resolucionistas are filling up the gym.

Jay, so it does pay off to wake up at early o'clock. See yesterday you ran during the warmest part of the day.

Hi Enkie, just because.

Welcome back Divechief.

What? no new pictures of Annabelle?

BTW, how is Noa doing, batman?

It was 35+ and sunny all day here today (sorry guys back east). I was so ency to get out and run in the warm weather, but I could not because of my work load, so when I got home and it was still 30F (but dark) I decided to pretend that I was running my leg of a relay and put on my blinking light, headlamp and other flashing light paraphernalia I have for my relay and off I went. 6.2 miles with the first half at steady pace and the last half at tempo.  Ohh the stars and la luna kept me company.

Now it is time for a glass of merlot and some yummie curry spinach and lentil dish over rice noodle...yummie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

don:t tell  MikeE but, though I usually like dreams, this one started out like a nightmare when i found out Travelex at the airport no longer sells insurance for flights to asia and then the plane buffeted through violent 145 mph headwinds with temperatures outside so cold  at 36,000 feet (-85) that it was only 11 degrees on the cabin wall next to me. I thought i was in erika land as it was dark for 22 hours from 4pm seattle time on friday to 7am tokyo tim on saturday )or is that 39 hours? .

However, it was more than made up wtih 130 degrees of northern lights on the northern horizon and somehow being able to run in saturday:s  takebashi Imperial Palace Marathon (that mikemp did too a couple of years ago in t he summer) in a nice sub-seven (6+58 even though I haven:t run that much since my last maration over here in August when Marathon queen Noriko sakota reached her 1,000 marathon milestone.  I even dreamed I ran a 6K lap with Tomi \watanabe on his own way to 1,000 in April or May (today was no. 978).  No wonder I love running so much.  Maybe I`ll dream I`ll do another marathon tomorrow too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)