Masters Running

Sunny Sunday 9-16 (Read 403 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!

Starr - Congrats on your racing comeback!  It must be great to run past your house and have your family cheering for you!  Funny about the guy with the flag behind you at your last race, too.

Tet, have a blast at the tunnel marathon today… we won’t tell Posie about her DS running with you!  And yes, I’d feel right at home at the Equinox – maybe next year…

OM, good luck on your 23 miler today!  I bet you’ll nail it.  Your route sounds interesting (but give me a solo trail run any day!)

Enjoy the day, friends.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

If it wasn't for Wildchild's posting this morning I would have totally  missed the fact that a "certain 20 y/o young man is keeping the taperboy company today at the Tunnel Lite. Surprised.

I am still amazed at how well Holly managed to run the monster Equinox marathon. I can't wait to see pictures.

Star, that picture of yours running is a keeper. You are looking great!

OrangeMat, enjoy your 23 miler. I always enjoy that last long run before a race.

No running for me and from the look at the Dep. of Ecology's website there will be no running for me the rest  of the week either. Sleepy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Since you started us today wild, congrats on your 1st place finish yesterday!

Starr, I'm proud of you. Keep at it.  Racing is cool.

And of course the really big news is Holly's and Ek's Equinox adventure.  Well done to both of you.

Finally got a look at my results from yesterday.  There were just 4 of us in the AG, as the race featured a 10K as well as the 20K and I suppose people my age would prefer not to run that long.  I ended up beating the 2nd place guy by about 15 minutes.

3 miles slow recovery at the lake this morning.  Drizzling all day today.

Slow day on the forum for small talk and a big day for following racers, so nobody ventured a guess on the decade in which the Pony Express started.  It was the 1860's.

So here's an easy one for you and I expect to hear from the pet lovers:  What network airs the TV show, "My Cat From Hell"?   Spareribs

Tramps

Congrats to Carolyn on another great marathon and AG win.  Just one hill, eh?

Erika—nice going; that was quite a streak you had going on local race placement! 

Congrats to Holly on the race/photography trip!  That is a tough-looking course.

Starr—late-starting race on a warm day after a 6-year hiatus; that’s tough.  Well done!

OM—how did the 23-miler go?

Ribs—well done, yesterday.

Even the awesome autumn weather couldn’t help me today.  I did a 14-miler during which I just felt sluggish almost from the start.  Got it done, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Congrats to all you great racers. Carolyn, I love your photos and am looking forward to the Equinox  pix.

OM-wonderful route-I cycled the West Side Highway last year and loved it.

I'm continuing my slow rehab and running every other day (short distances) with minimal discomfort and close to my pre injury speeds. This morning I planned a 2 miler and set out in one direction while Marj went in another direction. After 1/2 mile she called me on my cell and told me to take the trolley back to the local reservoir (which I have been running a lot lately-11/2 mile dirt loop). They were about to start a 5K on it to benefit the local Brookline Symphony and there were many musicians on the route playing music. I headed back and we ran the loop together just before the race started, watched a good part of it and listened to the music and ran the 1/2 mile home. A fun way to get myself back in shape.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey folks. My long run went great! Fabulous weather, beautiful scenery, and good company with a new running partner from my running club. I had posted in the the club's group page on FB, asking if anyone wanted to join me on my venture, but only had one taker. Hey, that's better than none, right? So we drove 20 minutes to Fort Lee, the town in NJ that the George Washington Bridge starts from, and off we went. The bridge itself is only a mile, but the NJ side is about 300 ft higher than the NY side, so to get to the Hudson River Greenway (the paved cycling/pedestrian path that goes down the West Side of  Manhattan), there's quite a bit of descent in a short amount of time. Almost too steep to run down the ramps at times. And yes, they were too steep to run back up as well. But we wouldn't deal with that until later...

About 8 miles into the run, we left the Greenway and ran about a half mile through the streets of the Upper West Side to get to Central Park. We looped the Park (6 miles of rolling hills) then returned back to the Greenway to begin our voyage home. Good that the run was broken up into segments like this so I wouldn't have to think of a huge looming number of miles to tackle. At 21 miles I needed to stop before undertaking the climb back up to the Bridge, so we decided it was a good time for a photo op:

This is the Little Red Lighthouse that sits underneath the GWB. Seems that the official name is Jeffrey's Hook Light, who knew? Anyway, after refilling our bottles from a water fountain, we were ready to go. Only two more miles, right? Ugh, I walked a majority of mile 22, then my legs were shot for mile 23, but I got the distance done and that's all that matters. I actually have one more 20-miler in two weeks, so no, Mari, this isn't my last long run in this training cycle... only the longest.... Total time was 3:37:17, for an average 9:21 pace. Booya!

OK, ice bath time. Tonight starts Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It's customary to wish people a Sweet New Year, and we celebrate it by eating apples dipped in honey during the evening meal. May you all have happiness and sweetness in your lives! Smile

Wild,

what a cool race for you. Congrats on the AG 1st place.

Om,

Great long run and how neat you found some company. I would love to have company on some of those 20 milers but can't seem to even find a RP for the smaller stuff I'm doing right now. Good luck on the up coming race.

Erika and Holly,

What fun for Erika to get to show Holly the Equinox and what an adventure for our little mom who could from Ohio.

Starr,

You are becoming one of my favs to follow. I can just tell you are on the cusp of breaking out on a great up coming year.

Posi,

You be careful out there. Can you run inside?

Ribs,

Never heard of "My Cat Crom Hell" so noe guess from me. Good job on the race yesterday though.

Somewhat of a cut back week for me so just 4.6 miles today. I did manage to lose 2 pounds so far this month but thats not near as fast as I need to drop. I am really having a hard time getting motivated to diet this time around. Usually I can put my nose to the grindstone and get it done faily quickly. I have 15 more pounds to lose so I better get serious.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Yes, a sweet New Year!  Had an awesome 6-mile run.  Thanks for the encouragement, Erika.  It's amazing what a kind word at the right time can do.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

...hey mari//.........you do know to do the Albuterol as two seperate puffs???

take the first one, hold it a couple of beats,

then

the 2nd one can get in deeper into the lungs.

=======

.......nice running opie/////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Pirate, you rock!!! Why didn't my doctor tell me that hint years ago?

I just spoke with my son David who just ran the Tunnel Lite with Barefoot Jon. He was delighted with his best marathon to date sans-training.

Here is what he wrote on FaceBook 

"Got a call yesterday from Barefoot John asking if I wanted to do a Marathon. Haven't trained in over a year. So I strap on my chacos and have my best Marathon yet"

It is so cool to see that my sons have my "adventurous heart". Son Daniel just told me today that he wants me to train him for his first marathon that he wants to run on his 21 birthday next year. How cool is that Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

That is incredibly cool, Posie!!!  Congrats to David!

Hope that smoke clears soon.

Congrats too to the other marathoners, Erika, Holly and Wildchild!!

You gals rock!!!

You rock too, Tet!

Nice racing Ribs!  I wish we got Animal Planet up here.

Good going, Starr!

And OM nails her 23 mile training run!  Sweet!

You'll get there Hallar!

Hi to TW, Tramps, Opie, and Henry!

Rest day today, but my feet still feel sore.  Spent the day shovelling out a big compost bin, weeding and harvesting my basil.  The basil gets run thru the food processor, packed into ice cube trays with water and then frozen.  I store the cubes in a zip lock bag in the freezer and use in sauces all winter.  Comes out tasting nice and fresh.

We're planning on taking a week in Cape Cod at the end of the month, so only have one more weekend to do all my cuttings before frost hits.

Why do I always leave things to the last minute...........

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

SteveP

Gotta love the pictures. Holly and WIldchild have DW bugging me to get stoopid rich and travel.

Sweet races abound too. Especially with Starr's return.

"Booya!" OM

Friday, the vet told Tag "No running" and slapped the cone of shame on his mangy hide.

When he, DW and Honey showed up at the "End of the Rainbow 5K", he thought we were ignoring Dr's orders. Needless to say, we weren't. He did a walk while I did a slow trot. Honey started much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Basically giving DW a ruff way to go. So, "cone head" Tag and I trotted back and got her. After that, she and Tag were side by side.

The race sponsor, The Rainbow of Hope Farm is a non profit Adult Foster Care facility where the staff and residents are self supporting. It was a trail race, which generally means plenty of roots and rocks. This route was very close to a red carpet. The turns were marked by wooden signs, pumpkins and the farm's residents.

We went through, Cougar Crossing, White Tail Pass, Black Bear Hill and Bigfoot Bog. That's where we saw Bigfoot himself. Here's a person in a monster suit growling at two dogs and an old guy. Honey didn't like it, but Tag told her that this was a race and to ignore him.

One thing very remarkable about this race was the people. Most of the time, we could not tell the residents from the staff from the racers and we didn't try. A runner would pick up a pumpkin trails marker and another would guide the person to putting it back. Runners stopped at the aid station to give Tag and Honey drinks. Normally Tag doesn't care for water during a race, but his injury and meds made the station an oasis. As this was Honey's first race, she didn't know any better. People I've known as near elite runners bagged their pace to demonstrate what true champions are. DW was asked by a wonderful young woman to pace her so she would not finish last.

We met a 75 year old guy who puts in 4.5 to 6 miles every day. Some times it's in an hour. Some times it's the better part of the day. It depends on how many people he chats with along the way.

When Bigfoot came in, Tag went nuts in a very loud way. The wounded avenger got all kinds of affection and pampering. Honey had no shortage of fans either. The awards were for 1st place in each 10 year AG. It was a fair sized wicker basket filled with vegetables, eggs, cinnamon rolls and canned goods all from the efforts of the farm's resident's. In all of the races I've ever been in, this one has been the most heart warming.

SteveP

ribs, great 20K with 1st in AG, wild, nice marathon with 1st in AG and picture.  evan and holly, congrats on your marathon including picture and evan with course PR and 2nd in AG.  starr, way to go in your 10K with pictures.  mari, what a bummer with the combination of your asthma and the dangerous air conditions.  It's great that tet and mari's son David did a marathon together.  steve, your race with your wife and the dogs sounds pretty special.

Nice long runs for Mike, fatozzig, and OM (with picture).

This morning, I got in 3 miles at a 10:16 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Miss you all ..... MD appt tomorrow -- can't wait to get back to work!!   I did try a little 2 mile run today - not sure it was the right move yet Sad but it's been 3 weeks -- well 2 weeks and 6 days since my last run ........ I dont know maybe I need a little PT and more healing timeCry

I do think I'll be  cleared for work but maybe 8 hour shifts instead of 12's.

So many wonderful race results this weekend ..... Erika, Wildchild, Holly, Starr, Ribs, and awesome long run for OM .....you are all amazing!!

Erika -- any pics with my running buddy Kevin?  I am so glad you all had dinner together Friday night!!

OM - Sweet New Year!

denise

...hey mari//.........you do know to do the Albuterol as two seperate puffs???

take the first one, hold it a couple of beats,

then

the 2nd one can get in deeper into the lungs.

=======

.......nice running opie/////

That reminds me... in the race yesterday I was playing leapfrog with some guy.  He had his inhaler in his pocket and stopped to use it several times.  I try to remember to use mine before a run, but usually forget.  It's winter running that really gets me coughing when I come inside.  I'm fine while I'm runniing though.  I wish those darn fires would get under control soon.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich