Masters Running

Super Sunday Runs for Feb. 22 (Read 359 times)

Renee the dog

OK. Anyone having a drought? You want me to come run in your town. Went back out for the remaining 8 by myself Big grin and planned to go nice and easy. Ended up with 8 miles at about a 10:02 pace...would have liked that a tad slower, but as I neared my turnaround, it started raining. Within a 1/4 mi, it had turned to wet, sticky snow. The ground was warm enough that footing was no issue. Glad I got back out there. Cold is no better, no worse and the back of my heel held up just fine. Now I have 3 wet pair of running shoes. Good thing I have 4 more pair ready to go in the closet for tomorrow. Wink Wildchild, yeah, Renee was awful today. Today was one of those mornings where I remember that I run her just to keep her civilized.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Out for 7 grueling miles today. 4 of the side streets that I run down were not yet plowed, so I had to run in tire tracks when and where possible. Overall pretty slow due to the conditions and wind ..... yes more cold blustery wind. I was thinking today that if I didn't run outside in the winter I'd never go out there - other than to get to work, the store, etc. Come on Spring!!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good afternoon! Wildchild – hope you don’t have any aftereffects today from your fall. Erika – nice run last night, speedy lady. Bill – nice 20 today, and interesting experience, too. I love that encouragement we runners give each other in races, and the camaraderie we share, no what the paces. Okay, except for the runners right at the front - they never seem to have time for a smile or encouragement - they're too busy winning. Big grin PDR – very nice pick-me-up at the end of a long, long run in tough conditions. Tramps – yowza! You are just getting faster and faster. WRFB – another fast guy doing an impressive progression long run today. Nono – nice double in the rain, and COLD rain, to boot. Mary – just remember that you got twice the workout you would in dry conditions. Have an extra helping of dessert tonight. Smile Spareribs - didn't take long for you to get up there where I can't keep up again... Roll eyes Windy and cold (again) this morning with a dusting of new snow, so I opted for 8 recovery-paced (10:31) miles on the TM, watching God Said Ha! Thanks, Aamos’, good recommendation.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ditto what Mary just said, I got in 8 miles in some nasty running conditions. Wind and freshly plowed snow along the shoulder of the road made for some heavy legs for a so called "easy run". It was one of those days the 25MPH wind was always in my face. I came home and when my wife asked how it went I just said it was a Michigan character building run. I need to catch up on the race reports Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

15 miles of hills on definitely tired legs in 2:18:27 (9:14 pace, AHR 147) Last few miles around 8:30's.
            Ummm, didn't you just race a 20K yesterday? Even the Kenyans take a day off! Gosh, very impressive running there everyone. I feel wimpy with my 10 miles that really was supposed to be 13 miles. 11:03 pace. 2 mile w/u on the TM and 8 miles outside, pretty pleasant shorts weather. I did manage to hit 41 miles for the week, so I am happy with that.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, guys! DS and I just got back from our long college visiting trip. We liked Susquehanna University (central PA) the best. The beautiful indoor track didn't hurt! Two of its walls are entirely glass, so you feel as if you're running outdoors. The campus is attractive, and the school has a good medical school acceptance rate. Everyone was very friendly, too. A new science building is under construction, which would be done the semester DS starts school. Oh, DS needed to run six 800-meter intervals at two-mile pace (sub-5 minute per mile), so he got to do it on the track! He said it was very fast. He had a bunch of girls watching him, which was fun. It is fascinating visiting campuses. Some just don't seem to have much energy, and it's hard to pinpoint a reason. One coach was kind of flaky, explaining his admittedly "unorthodox" training methods include not giving the runners a pace to hit, but telling them to run 3 steps per inhalation and 3 steps per exhalation. ?? Seems weird. We may end up taking advantage of my dad's connections at Texas - he works with the coaches there, and the track guys said they could get DS a small scholarship, meaning he'd pay in-state tuition ($7,0000) rather than out-of-state ($24,000). DS had already told me he'd rather be a small fish in a big pond, because he knows he'd improve faster that way. On our trip, I had to bite my tongue a lot, because most of the campuses and facilities just didn't compare favorably to UT at all! When the guides would say that small schools are better than large ones, I REALLY clamped down on my tongue, lol. I will always be an orange-blooded Longhorn. We both ran on treadmills at hotels. One fitness room was so hot I almost fainted, and ended up walking a good bit. I finally figured out that the HEATER was on, so I turned it to a cooling setting. Saturday morning, DS managed to get up at 7:45 am so he could get his 7-mile run in on the TM. I have to admit I stayed in bed. It was a wonderful trip, one that I will always remember. DS was very appreciative, and we learned a lot. If he does go to Texas, this was still a worthwhile experience, to make him appreciate the opportunity he's getting. And if he goes to Susquehanna, it will be positive, also!
                Teresa: dawndaughter2 was considering Susquehanna. We thought it was a pretty campus and a good school, and while they are not really allowed to give sports scholarships (as Div III), I'm pretty sure the $8k scholarship she was offered was related to her interest in playing golf for them. She ended up at Gettysburg, but it was a close call. I have very fond memories of college trips with both girls - I'm glad you're having fun with it.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Hill Runner

Uggh!....painting all weekend and I finished up early this afternoon. It was a lot of work but we are really pleased with the way everything came out. After all the painting I really didn't feel like running but got my butt out there and at least did some running today albeit not what I originally had planned this weekend. 13.02 miles of hills @ 8:59 pace...very windy but a beautiful sunny day.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice long runs Bill, PDR, and WRFB! Nice half jules! Ribs, 2 40s already? Nice recovery! I had a great long run today, mostly in a brisk rain. I look forward to the rain in the summer time, but not so much in the winter. Anyway, this one was definitely a confidence builder. I started easy but ended up averaging about 45 seconds off marathon pace for the 21 miles. Other than a slowly recovering achilles tendon, my legs are surprisingly fresh. Hopefully I can start bumping up the mileage again. 52 for the week a PR this year! :-P
                    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                    also on Twitter
                      wow!! lots of great long runs out there today!! i did 4 miles continuing with my plan of 7 min walking alternating with 3 or 4 minute runs -- my walking segments avge 14:05 - 14:32 pace which i really need to get down.....my running segments were 9:05-9:33 pace.........looking forward to shortening the walking segments and increasing the runs!! total 4 miles in 49:51 i'm getting there slow but steady

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice long runs for bandit Bill, PDR, Perch (on the day after a PR race!), Jules (nice half!), Tramps(in the cold rain), Nono (also in the rain), Ribs (12 miler - yay!), Gordon, Enke, and Busiman. Mary, I know what you mean about not going outside if it weren't for running. I think some folks barely ever leave the comfort of their homes or cars. Larry, I loved your comment about Michigan character-building runs. I can relate, even though I don't live in Michigan. Well, I didn't make it to 30 miles this week but that's OK. And I didn't make it to 10 miles today, but that's OK too. I ran 5 hilly miles with Tazzie and Ladybug, then 4.25 at the rec center with DD. Didn't have the energy for another 3/4 mile. Today was DD's first 5 mile run and she did great. I saw the yappy dogs again today and slowed to a walk when we passed them, just to be on the safe side! I feel fine after yesterday's graceful face plant, with only a bruised elbow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

wow!! lots of great long runs out there today!! i did 4 miles continuing with my plan of 7 min walking alternating with 3 or 4 minute runs -- my walking segments avge 14:05 - 14:32 pace which i really need to get down.....my running segments were 9:05-9:33 pace.........looking forward to shortening the walking segments and increasing the runs!! total 4 miles in 49:51 i'm getting there slow but steady
                          Good work Deez. A nice plan and you will get stronger every day, believe me. I love seeing someone with a good plan like this. Be very patient. Spareribs
                          Mariposai

fantastic runs today. Way to go friends. PDR.........great run...looks at good you are looking. Any update from SRLopez's dad? coach Ribs' prescribed 3 recovery miles. Aren't we all so blessed to have access to his knowledge and his willingness to help.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

In Jim's analysis referenced in the RA Forums: http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id209.html He states possible reasons why runners don't hit the McMillan predicted times based on half marathon results. One of the reasons he gives is: 3. There is a significant difference between runners with marathon result up to 3:30 and those over 3:30. It seems that running a marathon requires the ability to practice runs at a faster pace. Based on this I think Tramps has a good shot at his 3:30 marathon. What great runs this week and last!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

After yesterday's 10.5 mile sub-MP run, I wasn't sure what to expect today. But the sun was shining, the temps were in the mid-teens and it didn't feel like there was any or much wind (ha!). I wore a couple of shirts today, vs the one I wore yesterday, but everything else was about the same as Saturday's run. Goal was 19 miles with a lot of hills in the last third or so. I didn't care about pace and actually had my glove cuff over my Garmin so I wouldn't be checking it all the time. First 11.4 miles were pretty good... went out maybe too fast, same route as yesterday. I saw the average pace for this first part was 8:29 when I stopped at the car to get a drink and snack (oops, too fast), got a bit chilled but headed back out. Now for the hills...and a breeze that was enough to give me a bit of a chill and really made my face cold. And the hip really bothered me on the last half of this run. By mile 15, the wind had frozen my face, my hands were getting cold, my clothes were wet and I couldn't keep warm. I can recognize the signs of hypothermia when they start, and knew I wouldn't get many more miles out of this run. Headed back to the car, a mile away. With 16 miles on the clock, I had to decide what to do next. Treadmill? Hmmm, didn't really want to. Headed home, changed clothes and ran the hilly 5k route by my house, although as soon as Garmin marked 19 miles I stopped and walked. Took a looong time to warm up from this one. So, I got it done, but faded a lot at the end. What happened? Well, I did go out to fast, but I also really need to do more hills. I need to check last year's journals and see what I was doing, because at this time last year, I was cruising along on these longer runs (I think... need to check). That's the true value of keeping running logs and journals, so you can go back and see what worked and what didn't, and hopefully not keep repeating the same mistakes!! Oh, overall avg pace was 8:49, after I started up again from 11.4 miles most of my miles were just under 9:50 m/m with one at 8:32. McMillan says I should be doing my long runs close to that 9:50 pace so I guess the last 8 were about right...