Masters Running

The Ottawa Marathon Course and Tall's Strategy and Goal - Very Long (Read 140 times)

As many of you know I like to outline how I will run a race and what my goal is. It helps to prepare me mentally for the event. Below is an article I wrote for a local small time magazine on how to run the Ottawa Marathon. It’s still in review stage. If you ever hope to run the Ottawa Marathon, there is some advice here and if you just want to see what my strategy is go to the sections labeled Tall’s Strategy that I have added specifically for this forum. Weather and conditions permitting I am giving a sub 2:50 marathon a go. So it will either be bust or sub 2:50. Never Quit Tall ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ On the Edge of the Precipice The Secrets to Successfully Running the Ottawa Marathon Course On Sunday May 24th, over 4500 runners will challenge themselves by running the Ottawa Marathon. There is no doubt that the best way to face any marathon is to be prepared by having put in the hard miles and to come in to the race healthy and with a goal marathon pace firmly established. But racing any marathon also involves knowing the course, its hidden secrets and how you can apply your strengths during the race. So let’s take a closer look at the Ottawa course. The Start (kilometers 1 to 2) The Ottawa marathon starts right downtown. As you look up from the start line, you can see the majestic War Memorial and the Parliament buildings. Surrounding you, the trees and plants are in full bloom, exploding with color and smell. Make sure you arrive early and settle in to the appropriate corral and try to find the pace bunny so that you can settle into your pace more easily. The race bunnies are also quite knowledgeable about the course and are eager to share their knowledge with you. As you glance up from the start line, note that the start is uphill, nothing severe but still uphill. Limit your enthusiasm early and keep your body from going into lactic acid shock too early by running well within your means here. You have lots of time to test your limits later on the course. Once the gun goes off many runners with their adrenaline in overdrive will start much too quickly and pay a very high price indeed later on during the later stages of the race. Tip: Start slower than your established marathon pace. Tall’s Strategy: Stick with my buddy Liz. Conservative pace of 4 to 4:05 minutes per kilometer, if windy leverage other runners ahead of me. Conserve energy for later. Mini Coaster (kilometers 3 to 9) Two years ago a longer Hull loop was added to the marathon course and some of my training partners have affectionately given it the mini coaster moniker. Most people think the Ottawa course is flat and yes overall it is but the Hull portion is dotted with many uphill’s and downhill’s and reminds many of a small child’s roller coaster. So as you cross the Eddy Bridge and take in the old industrial walls of the mill, prepare yourself to stick to a conservative pace. Beware the marathoner who decides to go out too fast on this portion of the course as by 30K they will have learnt a valuable lesson not to underestimate the smallish hills in Hull. The crowds are small but very enthusiastic along this stretch and the hills if approached strategically will be a welcome change from the later monotonous flats. Tip: Run at or near your established marathon pace. Start getting into a groove. For some reason this portion of the course can be a bit windy, so if the wind is evident, try to latch on to a pack of runners that are running your pace. Tall’s Strategy: Establish 4 minute per K pace. Just enjoy this stage of the race. Look for competitors getting into or near your pace rhythm. Hit 10K around 40:10 (last year it was 40.53). In the Money (kilometers 10 to 21) As you leave la belle province behind and cross into Ottawa via the Interprovincial Bridge, the crowds are thick, especially at the 10K timing mat located near the National Arts Center. You can glimpse Louise Bourgeois’ large spider statue effectively known as Maman as you trot on by. Hopefully she will provide you with good fortune and strength as you amble pass. The course is fairly stunning along this stretch as you run parallel to the Ottawa River, pass the prime minister’s residence and head into Rockliffe Park. The mansions are beautiful as are the tall majestic trees that border the marathon course. Other than the climb up Princess Drive most of this stretch is very flat. This stage is perfect for picking up the pace slightly, making up those few seconds per kilometer you may have given up on the earlier more difficult stretches of the course. But careful now, don’t let it slip away as you head into Edinburgh where there are many long seemingly endless stretches where the wind sometimes seems to mysteriously appear. Hold yourself back as you hit Sussex once again and spot the half way marker up on the hill near the old Ottawa City Hall building. Soon you will be in the Byward Market with its teaming populace and quaint stores. Tip: Focus on maintaining your pace or slightly faster and staying alert during the longer stretches. Tall’s Strategy: I do not like the second part of this stretch as it is longish…and plays on your mind with strong wind usually. I will stay to pace and try to hit the half way at 1:24:23 (last year it was 1:25:20) The Lonely Stretch (kilometers 22 to 30) Even though the early stages of this section of the course along the Rideau Canal are packed tight with spectators, this is where most marathoners will start to stray into their own little world. Your body is getting tired, you still have half the distance to cover and now pain and tightness is starting to seep into your calves, quads and buttocks making you reconsider why you wanted to run a marathon in the first place. It’s definitely at this stage of the marathon when you get a feeling of what kind of day you’re going to have. This is the location on the race course where you need to hold your pace or to pick it up slightly if you’re feeling good. Note I said to pick it up slightly, as everyone knows the marathon does not start until about the 30K distance and on the Ottawa course, let’s say it’s more around 33K (more about this later). It’s easy to fall off pace near Carleton University where there are very few fans and the course is ever so slightly uphill. This is where your doubting demons will try to pull you onto the dark side, that of slowing down. Pay no heed to those rambling voice and cross the 30K marker with resolve as you turn left onto Hog’s Back and make your way to Riverside Road. Tip: Maintain your pace or pick it up slightly. Tall’s Strategy: Strart picking it up in downtown Ottawa and up the first part of the canal. Maintain it once I hit Carleton University and the slight uphill, conserve energy for the mentally tough stretches of this course. Hit 30K in 2:00 flat (last year it was 2:00:58) The Heron Hump (kilometers 31 to 32) Those who have run the course will tell you that in practice the Heron hill is nothing more than a smallish hump but after 32K and the depressing little loop near Vincent Massey Park, it looms as large as any Heartbreak Hill in Boston. It seems to be there to try and shatter your willpower, embarrass your tired muscles and shred all the remaining confidence you may have left. Stay strong as this test will soon be behind you. Tip: Remember your training, be alert and do not give in. Tall’s Strategy: Stay to pace, remember the hard work The Farm (kilometers 33 to 35) After the hump, the Experimental farm operated by the National Capital Commission comes in to view and if a marathon runner is to buy the farm anywhere on this course, this is where it will happen. This is where the Ottawa marathon truly starts, you have conquered the early stages, you have braved the longish stretch of the canal, did the redundant little loop and surmounted the Hump but what do you have left the demons ask. Did you really train well enough to carry thru? Do you have enough to push beyond the Farm? On the positive side if you reigned in the horses during the early stretches, this is where the PR possibilities come in to play. It’s a lonely stretch of road that meanders left and right and slightly up and then down. Fan support is near non-existent and if the running demons have not cornered and quartered you by now, you can run the race of your life. Try to hook on with someone going at your pace or faster. So stay focused, on pace or faster if you have it in you as the dividends will be well appreciated as you near the finish line. Attack the tight turns of the little loop at the Arboretum with gusto and ignore the complaints from your aching legs and as you get squirted out back at the traffic circle. From here it’s downhill to Dow’s Lake and the last part of your marathon journey awaits. Tip: If feeling okay attack the course for a new PR or re-evaluate to other goals. Tall’s Strategy: If it’s in me this is where I will maintain pace until the Arboreteum and then hopefully attack the course to either protect my slight lead or to gain the few seconds I may have lost along the way. Ignore or thrive in the pain. Dow’s Lake to Pretoria (36 to 41K) You’re on the home stretch but before you can start celebrating, remember you still have over 6 kilometers to go. Even though this stage of the course is flat and fan support is excellent, it will be a tough grind as your mind tries to overcome what your body is trying to tell you. It’s very easy to fall off pace here so keep reminding yourself of all your hard work in practice and suck in all the goodwill along the way. As you go under the Bronson underpass, admire the stately embassies, go under Bank Street and stay focused on your end goal and stick to the pace. As you near Pretoria bridge you will pass the Canal Ritz where early risers will be enjoying brunch and or breakfast. The smells may make your stomach woozy or make you wonder why you’re not on the verandah enjoying bacon and eggs. Soon you will see stately Pretoria Bridge and you will know your journey is almost at its end. The pain may begin to be overwhelming at this stage but try to remain calm and loose and think about your friends and family that are waiting for you at the finish line. Tip: Ignore the pain and think of the applause as you near the finish line. Tall’s Strategy: Hang on to picked up pace. Think of my girls. The Finish (the last 1.2k) As you leave Pretoria Bridge behind you, you know you have accomplished your goal. You might be in severe pain, cramping up or having other runners pass you as get near this end point but try to stay with it. Will yourself along, street post to street post, runner to runner, your goal is in sight as the Chateau Laurier’s peaks can be seen in the distance ahead. The crowds are incredible here so try to enjoy them as you deserve their applause. Soon you will see what looks like a finish line but don’t be fooled and sprint to it or pull up to soon, it’s not the real finish which is a few hundred meters further along. Speed up if you can but don’t try sprinting all out or you might just fall down with a severe hamstring or quad pull here. Enjoy the last 100 meters or so, wave to the crowd, and don’t’ forget to smile for the camera’s. Tip: Pat yourself on the shoulder, hydrate and reward yourself. Tall’s Strategy: Hang on and enjoy myself. Dream goal sub 2:50 (last year in a near perfect race: 2:52:29.9)

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Great overview, Tall. Best of luck to you. So this comes about a month after Boston, huh? Hmmmmm......

Be safe. Be kind.

You sound well prepared both physically and mentally.... The best to you... I won't wish you good luck as luck has nothing to do with it. Go Tall Go! Ray
          thrive in the pain.
          Very nice write up, Tall. "Thrive in the pain," I like that!
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM