Masters Running

Saturday, October 4, 2014 (Read 40 times)

Hey, just walked around the Issaquah Fair today---way crowded, not doing that again.  I hope I can find Tet tomorrow before the race.

My DD and I watched some of the salmon making their pilgrimage up the stream to spawn.  Resting up and carbo loading (yeah, for a 5K) with a few light beers.  Gosh, I love summer, and it has been endless here...

Life is good, and even better if you can run!

Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Good luck Dave and happy racing Jay.

Been out on travel all week. Got 11 on the treadmill watching the 1st half of the ND Stanford game.

Big news was that Patrick's team won the state middle school XC championship today. He tied his course PR in 48 degrees and 20 mph winds and placed 4th for the team. It was great seeing all the kids give it their best on a tough day. Here's a pic of him with the big trophy.

The high school coach was watching today and is very excited for this crop of youngsters to join the crew next season. All I can say is I am very proud of him and all of his work.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That is a big trophy, congrats to the cross country team, C-R. Good luck to him on the High School team. Jay , have a greta race tomorrow. You are fortunate to have so many races nearby. Tomwhite – tell us the answer to the riddle, please? I can never remember jokes so can’t reciprocate. I can’t even remember the ending of Gone Girl and I read the book.  Aamos, you should read the book first.  I just finished The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor.  I know it’s an old one, but I haven’t read any of his and wanted to start with his first book.  I checked out the audiobook this summer but MrStarr had listened to it already.

Aamos, I’d take your taper pace anytime, you work so hard running doubles nearly every day. Tet, if I can run sub 10’s, even for just one mile, you can do it too!  Hope you find Enke tomorrow at the 5K. Mike, take it easy on that knee. You don’t have any more big races coming up do you?  TomS, good racing for you the other day nice 9:21 pace for you!  I am so sorry about your cats, nothing about losing a pet is easy and to have two ill kitties does seem to be a bit much.

Erica – it is too early for snow, it seems like we just put away the hats & mittens! We don’t have any here yet, but this morning’s run was a chilly 38°, 28° with the wind chill. What a difference from last Saturday running in a tank and capris. I definitely would have bailed on that race if it was today.  I dug out the thermal tights (couldn’t find the fleece ones), a long-sleeved top, fleece jacket, hat, headband and mittens. I took Bandit with me so she could run a bit. We just ran for a mile then walked for 3 total.  I cannot get rid of this pain in my ribcage, most likely it’s from falling off my bike last Sunday, but it hurts worse today than it did on Monday.  At orchestra practice on Thursday I could barely get a breath to play my clarinet.

I am pretty sure we have had tomatoes left in the garden, but driving out to the farm with the 40mph winds we had yesterday didn’t sound like fun.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

other tom - nine cats left unless they jumped off more than eight times.

note: if you understand me, you can understand this joke. unfortunately, I can't either. 

.........None,,,,,,,,,,they were Copy Cats.......

Claire to tel you ''ark-ark''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tom - tell her your friend said, “good job, Claire!”
            These might be okay for you to ask her
            . . . 1.  where can (your cat) sit that she can’t? On her lap.
            . . . 2.  what was (your cat) afraid of about the tree.  Its bark.
            . . . 3.  how many cats can you put in an empty box?

. . . . . . . One, after that it’s not empty.
            . . . 4. what does (your cat) want to eat when Claire
            . . . . . . . has an ice cream cone? mice-cream cone.
            http://www.ebookpublishing.us/downloads/Cat-Jokes.pdf

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Cute, Tet. Good for you for finding kid-jokes!

Yes, we had snow. And not a trivial amount. And I had to pay the gardeners' penance and dig potatoes and carrots today out of that mess. Bleh. That should teach me for procrastinating, although I will confess this is not the first time I've had to do this.

Starr, nope, not too early for snow. Unfortunately. Our first snow-that-sticks came pretty much right on schedule. Hey, are you sure you don't have a cracked rib? Your symptoms sure sound like it....

8.5 miles today, pretty nice run actually. Most of my miles were in the 8:12 to 8:15 range. Once I got off the slushy, sloppy dirt road we live on, the bike paths were in pretty good shape. This was after I was out in the garden digging potatoes and carrots under the snow. And throwing weeds into the bushes. Ha, this will teach me to wait so long to do this, right? Well... not really. This is not the first time I've had to do this. And after the crappy summer we had, I didn't get much produce from this cool, very wet summer. We just didn't have the "degree days" we count on to get good results. I'm going to sound like a Red Sox or Cubs fan to say: Maybe Next Year!!