Masters Running

Nathaniel's Run - Very Lonely (Read 205 times)

TomD

This is a 24 hour run with 6-Hour and 12 Hour Runs too. It started on Friday, November 21st, at 6:00pm. I was able to run my 6-Hour the next day, 9:00am to 3:00pm. I was not allowed to win any awards, since I was not starting at the beginning time. I was okay with this and I did not expect to me included in the awards. The course is a cross country type of course. It is 3.2 miles long instead of the advertized 3.0 miles long for some reason. The first mile is the fastest mile with no creek crossings and a couple of small hills. The second mile has 4 creek crossings and some hills. The third mile has two creek crossings and the most challenging hills on the course. The final 2/10 of a mile was all up hill then it flattened out for the first mile again. There was a stiff wind for the first 4 hours with temps in the mid 30's at the start and mid 40's at the finish. The wind chill was 10-15 degrees colder the first four hours, but not much of a factor the final two hours. The first mile was the fastest for me even with the wind in my face most of the way. The second my was the slowest with the creek crossings although the wind was not much of a factor with all the tree cover. The third mile had some wind off and on, but not much. The final 2/10's had no wind, just the hill. When I got there there was only a couple of cars in the parking lot. My first thought that I was at the wrong location, but I saw the RD flagging me down. Nearly all of the 30 starters of the 24-hour run had dropped out before 12 hours and the final one was finishing up his final lap after 15-hours. I would be out there the entire 6-hours by myself. The RD was leaving and he left me some things to eat and drink on a table near the end of the loop. When leaving he told me to email him how far I ran. There was no number, T-shirt, medal, or anything else. So I paid $40 for a training run by myself. My goal was to run 10 laps, 32 miles, that would come out to 36 minutes per lap. I hoped to get a 20-24 minute cushion after 5 laps, hold near 36 minutes the next two laps, be near 40 minutes the eigth lap, and have about 45 minutes for each of the final two laps. I go out fast the first lap, but I plan on doing this for the first 6-9 miles then add my short walking breaks. My first lap was 29.35. I had hoped to break 29 minutes, but it was not to bad. The hills were worst in the final mile than I thought it would be. Lap 2, 30:40, a little slower again, but not back at all. I am able to clear 5 of the creeks, but one is very wide, but swallow, so just run though it. Lap 3, 31:35, not too bad. I do have a 16 minute cushion now. I did start my walking breaks during this lap. I should be okay. Lap 4, 31:56, now I have a 20 minute cushion. I hope for one more lap under 36 minutes. Lap 5, is under 36 minutes but not by much, 35:31. I now have 21 minutes and a few seconds cushion. I now just to go at a steady pace. Lap 6, 38, minutes, I am now not able to deal with seconds. I am focused on the trail and doing my best to keep my mind from wandering. Running by myself makes it difficult for me run this as any thing except a training run. Lap 7, 39 minutes, I am really slowing down. I need to keep my mind focused more. I am formulating a plan on running the bigger hills more and walking a couple of short pieces of them. This should work. I also need to slow down less for the creeks and the rocky parts of the course. Lap 8, 40 minutes, not to bad. The wind stopped being a factor at the beginning of this lap. It is probably near 40 degrees now or even a few degrees warmed than that. The past 4 laps the ground has become more and more soft. It is now very muddy in places, but mostly it is just a little soft. On this lap I slipped into one of the creeks, so I got wetter than I had hoped too. Lap 9, 41 minutes again, this is a positive. I now have 45 minutes for the final lap. On these kind of runs my last lap is almost never my slowest lap. I feel very good about running this under 41 minutes. Lap 10, 39 minutes, I really pushed myself in this one. My finishing time was 5:55:41, so I was well under the 6 hours. If this one had other runners, I am sure I would of done better. Being by myself was very difficult to stay focused on a strange course. There were some local people walking the trail, running (mostly going the opposite direction), and some walking to there favorite fishing hole. Donna stayed home, since this one was only 18 miles away and there was plenty to do around the house. We are having another couple for Thanksgiving. None of us have family locally. This one is on a very short list of runs to avoid. The course is okay, but it is run poorly. I feel like, that I paid for a training run by myself. There is plenty of room for improvement. Next, the Gobbler Grind Marathon, November 23rd. It will be my 10th Gobbler Grind in a row. It is only 5 miles for my home. I will have a double this weekend in the county I live in. Pretty Cool. TomD
      That's a gutsy run, Tom. About those creek crossings... how wide were they? Did you have to slosh through them? I'd love to try one of these kinds of races. Thanks for sharing.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      TomD

evryday, Just the one creek that I crossed ten times get I have to run through. Three of the creeks I had no trouble clearing. The other two were a challenge. TomD
        huskydon

Tom, Boy that sounds like a real tough run. You showed grit by hanging in there even though there was no one to hang in there with. I didn't think the RD could leave while runners were still on the course. Well, at least he left you some food. The next race will be better, no doubt. huskydon
            Doesn't sound like a very responsible RD...I'm really impressed how you finished with nobody else there...very inspiring!!!
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Tom. Way to tough out a weird race. Sounds kind of odd - everyone else had gone home?? Why do they start this race at 6 pm? If they're offering a 6-hr, 12-hr, and 24-hr race, then the evening start only makes sense for the 24-hr runners. The 6-hr and 12-hr runners would want to start in the morning, like you did. That course sounds like it would be difficult in the dark! I hope at least your $40 entrance fee went to a good cause? Did the RD ever check back in with you to make sure you were OK?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I was wondering the same thing, Carolyn. Seems strange for him to just leave Tom out there and not go back? Good job on sticking with your goals though, Tom! I think it takes a dedicated runner to follow through on your plans when everyone else went home. The way you can crank out these runs one after the other is truly impressive.
                TomD

The RD did come back in the early stages. I saw him at his aid station twice at my 3rd and 4th laps in believe. The money does go to a very good cause. I did not read about it, but Donna did. She was impressed by it. Something for a little boy named Nathaniel with health problems. There are so many runs for charities, that I do not try to read about them all. TomD
                  Tramps

Like others have said, odd. I suppose when you run as many races as you do, you're bound to come across some strange ones sooner or later. Nice job sticking it out.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tom, it does sound like you paid for a solo training run but, if the money went to a good cause, it may not be so bad. The course and conditions sound tough, but not as tough as you are. Congratulations. TomS
                      coastwalker

Hi Tom, Congratulations on beating your goal in your solo race. It was pretty gutsy on your part to keep going on a tough course, on your own, for 6 hours. The RD should have given you an award, even if you didn't start at the beginning of the event, especially since you appeared to be the only one who came close to finishing their race. Whether he wanted to or not, I think the RD had an obligation to stay around, or to have someone there, as long as a registered racer was on the course. Congrats on a great effort, and on supporting a good cause - whatever it was... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

I would be out there the entire 6-hours by myself. The RD was leaving and he left me some things to eat and drink on a table near the end of the loop. When leaving he told me to email him how far I ran. There was no number, T-shirt, medal, or anything else. So I paid $40 for a training run by myself.
                          Yes, not what I would be happy with, either. Great job on toughing it out, though.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."